where are my nerds?!?!?

Replies

• jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    gamer/movie nerd here... Feel free to add me :P
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    I wave a geek flag high!! Add me if you like...
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    NERD PARTY!!!

tumblr_m1nedffzrT1qezk6n.gif

:laugh: I think it's time to start a nerd war. Firefly is better than Star ****. There, I said it. Furthermore, I have always preferred the original Battlestar Galactica to the modern one and Star ****.

YES!!

Firefly is the best
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    *Proudly Raises Hand*
    :-)
  • Fellow nerd here!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Yay nerds! I'm a huge gamer (not facebook games) of FPS, RPGS, etc. I have a computer science degree and work for a well known tech company.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Quirky, wanna-be nonconformist, loner, high school reject, college/grad school-champion, first-class nerd and PROUD :-)
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    This pertains to some of you. And don't act like you don't know who you are.....

Ted.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-20195-1309988120-10.jpg
  • HeatherLaShae4
    HeatherLaShae4 Posts: 59 Member
    harry potter diehard fan here... im constantly thinking of my life as if i were in harry potter... spells i could use for this or that...or against my haters... lol...... and i can tell u anything u need to know about it. :) AND im even brave enough to say VOLDEMORT aloud!!!
    i also used to be a tibia nerd... loooooooove tibia, but dont have the time to play it no more, so i guess im an EX-tibia nerd haha
  • I nerd out anything with technology. sports, equipment, whatever. and video games too.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Hey I'm more of a geek than a nerd, I <3 zombies, video games, sci-fi, techy gadget stuff and of course my super mario shoes:

14576491_3771.jpg

^^^THESE!!! ahhhhh :laugh:
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    I hate it when people call themselves nerd because they enjoy pop culture.

I know, right? You are not a nerd just because you enjoy some of the most popular movie and book franchises ever. There is nothing "nerdy" about Star Wars, Disney, LoTR, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games etc. These things are massively popular. Even my mom has read the Hunger Games. Harry Potter has his own theme park down in Florida. Right next to the Disney one that has the Star Wars ride in it. If something is popular enough to warrant a theme park, it's not nerdy.

There's nothing wrong with liking these things if you do. Just don't think that liking them makes you unusual or nerdy.

When you have Tolkien's The Silmarillion and the Appendices to LOTR nearly memorized, I think that transcends the line between "enjoying pop culture" and nerdom.
  • clioratha
    clioratha Posts: 29 Member
    Nerd and geek here by popular definition. Software engineer by trade, bookish bespectacled social outcast growing up, still a bookish bespectacled introvert in my early 40s. Not as much of an outcast now that I live and work in an area with a lot of fellow engineers and introverts. 20+ year tabletop gamer (mostly AD&D), prefer fantasy and sci-fi as reading genre. About due for another reread of LotR/Hobbit/Silmarillion.

My sister joked about getting husband and I matching pocket protectors when we got married 22 years ago :embarassed: She was a teenager then and a bit of an a$$hat, but she's mostly outgrown that.

Edit: Thinking about the definition of geekdom as having specialized knowledge in a particular esoteric field (ie band geek, etc) - consider that the folks who memorize all sorts of sports statistics like Hank Aaron's batting average are really sports geeks :wink: I suppose if there's a particular field I tend to truly qualify as 'geek' in, it's probably needlework. Not your average geek specialty, but there you have it.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    LoTR here!!! And all the X-Men (except for the new *kitten*).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Hard core geek here. I may or may not have dressed up as a klingon.

When people ask me how I'm losing weight I say "Adipose".
  • Star Trek, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings here!

And anime.

And games.

And, yep nerd/geek here. Used to hate it, finally just accept it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I work as a systems administrator. Learned to program from my mum who was a software engineer for Grumman. I am also a classical singer (Baroque music mostly) as a side job on weekends. I committed the BWV catalogue to memory when I was fourteen. I was picked on in high school for being a smart theater kid. I love reading science fiction: Neal Stephenson, William Gibson, Dan Simmons, et al. "Geeky" pop culture is fine, but since when is Harry Potter "nerdy"? Does that mean all twelve year olds are nerds?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Stargate or bust.
  • but since when is Harry Potter "nerdy"?

Ever gone to a book or movie midnight release (and in costume)? Or a convention of any kind as a HP character? Or play muggle quidditch. That's when it became nerdy. Nothing wrong with it, actually really awesome!
  • Rothwilder
    Rothwilder Posts: 32 Member
    but since when is Harry Potter "nerdy"?

Ever gone to a book or movie midnight release (and in costume)? Or a convention of any kind as a HP character? Or play muggle quidditch. That's when it became nerdy. Nothing wrong with it, actually really awesome!

Last two books midnight release.

More of a geek than a nerd, but both are fine :)