Warning...venting

2»

Replies

• mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    HANG IN THERE and keep your head up. I understand your frustration, but don't give up!!! I'm not sure what your exercise routine is, if you're doing the same thing, maybe your body has hit a plateau. Change things up, walk a little on the treadmill then quick minute run. And of course what you eat will help. Like the saying goes, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Best of luck to ya:smile:

P.S.
    Venting is allowed, I just don't like "negative" comments:sad: , we are here to support each other, so vent if you have to and/or need to!!
  • Zoot_suits
    Zoot_suits Posts: 71 Member
    I'm no expert but from what everything I am reading says focus on mass not weight loss.

Strong people are not those who never fall, but those who fall, brush themselves off and start again. =D
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    I'm 5'2" and current 202lbs. I was 135lbs when I got pregnant with my oldest child, and have struggled to stay at a normal weight ever since.

My high was 228.4lbs :( i busted *kitten* for 3 months and only lost 7lbs--and I spent 2 of those months gaining and losing the same 3 lbs.

So I tweaked my diet, and my exercise, and lost almost 20lbs in 14 weeks. I cut my carbs down to ~100g net per day ( from 200-300g per day). On the lower carbs, I had trouble eating enough, so I cut my workout down to 60 minutes 3-4x a week from 90 minutes 3-4x a week. Since this is a life change for me, I still allow for normal stuff. Friday I had a Wendy's cheeseburger for lunch, but I took the top bun off to cut the carbs, and I didn't have fries. Friday night I had a salad from Donatos while the rest of the family had subs. Sunday was my nephews 1st birthday and his party was a BBQ. I had 1 mini burger on a bun, 2-3 mini burgers no bun, 1/4 cup of potato salad, a wedge of watermelon, and a normal sized slice of chocolate cake. Lately I have had ice cream pretty much every day...but I make it a mini *something* ( magnum ice cream bar, klondike bar, kids cone, etc). I even allow myself a mini candy bar if I want one! Deprivation makes "diet" a 4 letter word, and miserable. I can't do diet, I do lifestyle change...
  • Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm 5'2'' and currently at 140 Lbs. I am with you girl! I want to enjoy my life. I enjoy cooking and celebrating but with my short height it doesn't leave much wiggle room. I can't seem to budge from this weight either but I know where I have came from (as far as weight goes) so I will keep doing the best I can. That's all you can do. Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't worry about everyone else. Be yourself (and your body type), everyone else is takin anyways :)
  • You guys are amazing! Wish I had more time to thank you each individually but I have to run for now so THANK YOU to all of you for your great advice and support...even the smart aleck ones! :wink: I will definitely use some of the tips you have given and keep on going! :heart:
  • lizettye
    lizettye Posts: 12
    if its any consolation when i was 23 i was told i had the metabolism of a 40yr old!! depressing or what! my dietician told me a great piece of advise which made sense to me... if someone has dyslexia they have to work so much harder than those without it... who achieves more... the one that worked harder! we will struggle with loosing weight as long as we compare ourselves to each other especially those who dont seem to have consequences!

once we accept our limitations and know our vices we're 3/4of the battle done. youve done so well, uu know what ur facing and u have the innerstrength to keep it up. for me it was my view of food that changed its now purely functional and i get a bit obsessed! sometimes we need a treat and a break but have to be willing to face the consequences. its our limitations!

we all need a rant sure the frustration gets out and a new part of us rises to the challenge! keep it up
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Yep - I am one of those girls. I have been on here since December seriously trying to lose about 20 to 25 lbs. I have not lost a pound. I have been doing Insanity - and have not lost a pound. I am not super strict - and I like a cocktail here and there. We have a very active lifestyle which includes a lot of camping and traveling. But I am not giving up and I keep on going. I haven't gained either, and I do feel more toned and tight. Feel free to friend me - I am pretty active on the boards. I am - once again - starting my Insanity and my logging and really trying to get some weight off before we start our high travel months coming up.
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    woah...time of month again...jk hope all is better

Actually it probably is...LOL

If it really is, step away from the scale! During your TOM, your weight can jump up several pounds. Wait until it's over and then weigh in or you will drive yourself crazy. :smile:
  • Marianeyda
    Marianeyda Posts: 60 Member
    nice to hear I'm not the only one!!!! seems you talking about me just that i'm older!
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    I did WW a few years back and when I got to a little over my current weight I just couldn't seem to lose anymore. I feel like I watch what I eat {for the most part} and exercise a good amount but I always get stuck around this weight. I know I could be better with my diet {more veggies, less carbs} but it gets so frustrating sometimes to watch my friends eat worse than I do and not exercise and they don't gain weight. I must have a super slow metabolism because if I go off track even a little bit I gain quickly. I try to stay positive but today I weighed in and gained a pound so I'm just upset. I know it's only a pound but it's been 2 weeks since my last weigh-in and it would have been nice to see a loss rather than a gain. Everyone is different and I think I am someone who would have to be super strict to lose another 15 pounds. I just don't know if I'm willing to live that way. I like to eat healthy and I love kick my butt workouts and will continue with this lifestyle but I also want to be able to not deprive myself or be so strict I can't enjoy my life. Anyone else ever feel this way? Anyone with my body size run into this problem? I'm 5' 3" and 153 lbs. and am 38 yrs old. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, just needed to vent.

PS~ My eating over the weekend was NOT good. I don't think it was crazy bad but I am sure it is why I gained a pound. Our friends invited us for homemade pizza/wine and we had two birthday celebrations. This is what I'm talking about with living my life. I didn't go crazy but I didn't say no. I would hope I could treat myself sometimes and not have a heavy price to pay.

Here's some tips that might help (they help me):

1) Don't freak out over water weight. You'd have to eat ~3,500 over your maintenance calories to gain 1 lb of fat (assuming all new weight is fat, no muscle or lbm). You might've gone a little overboard, but you probably did not overdo it that much. ETA: I see that this gain was over 2 weeks, but this statement still holds. Could be water, could be some fat; it's not clear. Focus on the overall trend in your weight that the number in any particular week. And ignore the scale during your TOM.

2) Forgive yourself and move on from your slip-ups. Just aim to do better, on overage, in the future. Letting go of past mistakes helps you improve.

3) Stop comparing yourself to your friends and others. You have different bodies. You have no idea what their diet/exercise is like when you don't see them. For example: my fiance is skinny and tends to eat and drink a lot when we go out (once a week), so many people might think his metabolism is fast & he's just "lucky" to be able to eat/drink whatever. But he also often skips breakfast and eats a moderate lunch. He is also pretty tall, not trying to lose weight, and male. If I tried to compare what I can eat to him, especially what he eats in social situations, I'd be pretty miserable. I just focus on what I need and want instead.

4) Introduce some flexibility into your diet. If weekends are a problem, then you need to try planning for them better. Maybe be a little more strict on 5-6 days of the week and let yourself eat a bit more on the weekends. Try keeping your protein & fats fixed throughout the week with lower carbs during the week & more carbs on the weekend. (Try saving your more intense workout for the weekend, too.) Of course, this doesn't mean you shouldn't try to gain control over what you're eating on the weekend. There are ways to indulge within reason. For example, eat only half a serving of cake, limit yourself to 2 glasses of wine, fill up on salad or veggies but eat only one slice of pizza, and so on. And log whatever you've eaten, even if it hurts.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Continue to eat well, and weight again in a couple of days. You're probably a little bloated from the pizza and wine, which spikes the scale.
    Remember 3500 calories to lose or gain a pound. Two weeks worth of efforts won't be undone in one night.

:-D
  • I have to tell you that I am going through the same thing...all my friends eating what they want to and not gaining weight and I eat a cookie and gain!! I am 5'5" and am stuck hovering over 170lbs...if you don't give up, I wont give up!!! Hang in there!!:flowerforyou: