Yet another "am I eating enough calories?" question

Here are my stats:

Age-25
Height- 5'4"
Weight-194

I work out 5-6 times a week, heavy cardio and some weight lifting.
I work at a desk job so during the day I don't have much movement.

MFP has me eating 1250 calories a day but I strongly feel like this is too low. It's not that I'm hungry and can't stay within my calories, I just feel like that is probably the reason I haven't seen any weight loss. I have seen formulas out there for figuring it out, I just wasn't sure if I am doing it correctly. I figured 1950 calories per day but that seems too high. Any guidance?...

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    go take a look at the eat more to lose weight group on here - they have all the instructions for you to figure out how much you should be eating - I agree that 1250 is not enough...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

According to scooby you should be eating 1979 (at 20% deficit - Your BMR is 1589 and TDEE 2464
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Thank you so much for your input! I'll bet upping my calories will make a big difference.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    I am 5'3" and 55 years old. I was on 1200-1300 cals and lost all 180 lbs that way. I exercise alot (1 hour treadmill and 1 hour swimming 5-6 days/week)and eat high protein (100g /day). This worked for me, but it is not for everyone. I had a hard time staying on 1200 cal and since I have reached my goal it is upped to 1400-1500 cals. I am older and I may have a slower metabolism. Try eating more for a few weeks and see if it helps.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Way to low. Like the above poster stated check out scoobysworkshop.com & run your #'s. Just remember if you change your goal to TDEE-15 or 20% you only eat back exercise calories if your Net is below your BMR then eat enough to get back up to your BMR
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Oh, and I would up the weight lifting a tad in favour of the cardio - I dropped a pant size (while the weight stayed the same) doing both.....
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    Thank you all so much for the info! I feel alot more motivated now realizing what I was probably doing wrong and being able to try something else.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Thank you all so much for the info! I feel alot more motivated now realizing what I was probably doing wrong and being able to try something else.

Everything anyone posts is just a suggestion. If you were exercising a lot as you said the 1250 is probably not enough because you would net lower than that when adding your exercise cals. I wouldn't up the cals too high. Try 1500/1600 and see how you go - how you feel, are you losing fat?
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    I am kind of at a standstill, I feel. I'm not losing any pounds and my clothes still fit the same. This is after about 2 months of 1200 calories and working out 5 days a week. I feel like there's something I'm doing wrong, just couldn't figure out what. I don't want to give up, so I suppose I need to keep switching things up till I find something that works. I will try 1500 for now and see what that does.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    I'm a similar height and weight, but almost 20 years older, and I'm losing on more than 1900 calories per day. I burn about 2800-3000 per week. It's slow, but sustainable, which is important because this is the way I will eat for the rest of my life, not something I'm doing temporarily.
  • Here are my stats:

Age-25
    Height- 5'4"
    Weight-194

I work out 5-6 times a week, heavy cardio and some weight lifting.
    I work at a desk job so during the day I don't have much movement.

MFP has me eating 1250 calories a day but I strongly feel like this is too low. It's not that I'm hungry and can't stay within my calories, I just feel like that is probably the reason I haven't seen any weight loss. I have seen formulas out there for figuring it out, I just wasn't sure if I am doing it correctly. I figured 1950 calories per day but that seems too high. Any guidance?...

I felt the same, I've been so frustrated lately at trying to figure out where to start and what number to go by in relation to calorie counting to lose weight. I have over 80lbs to lose, and I've been so indecisive about what information I should follow -- I thought maybe I'd stick to 1200 which seems to be the general rule of thumb, but in all honesty I know I'll feel a bit hungry eating that low and I'm worried it'll royally screw up my metabolism too.. So I did some research and apparently I'm meant to eat in the ranges of 1600-1900 calories a day to lose weight, so I'm gonna start there and see how I get on.

I'd say with your exercise levels that 1250 is way too low. If you have an iPhone or iPod or something then download the fat2fit radio podcasts, they're so informative and have really helped me understand metabolism, BMR and tdee a lot better! :-)
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    Thank you! Is the app what helped you figure out what you should be eating, calorie wise? Or did you find it online.
  • You can download the podcasts but also if you go on the fat2fitradio.com website they have BMR calculators and tools etc on there :-)
  • jmweger
    jmweger Posts: 7
    *bump*
  • I am in the SAME position... I thought I was going to have to see the doctor about my STANDSTILL. :( I workout with the Insanity program and I lost 5 lbs and then gained 3 back in like a few weeks. I don't get it . I am 35 yrs old and I have been trying to get the same weight off for years now. I can't get anything to work for me. Now I HAVE to lose weight to fit into the MOD Dress for my sisters wedding. I was hoping stress takes over or I get arrested & locked up for 2 months so I can fit in the dress by Oct. LOL... The only way to keep me from gaining is to not give me choices... at least thats what it is starting to feel like. :((
  • bump
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    bump