I'm in so much trouble...

Options
GUYS!!!!!!! I'M SCARED!!!!!

Ok, so I'm poor and my insurance is EXTREMELY expensive and I couldnt afford to pay it last month so I had to let it cancel until I could pay it... well...

lo and behold.. 3 days after it cancels I get into an accident... It wasn't even my fault. I got rear ended. (Third accident in a year!! The first was my fault, I rear ended the person in front of me and messed up the whole front end of my car, the second I was in my boyfriends car on a major highway int he middle of winter and the car in front of my lost control and started spinning, bounced off the guard rail and slammed right into me sending me into a spin, and now this.)

Anyway, so since it was her fault I just avoided the whole exchanging insurance information thing (there really wasnt much damage anyway) and the cops came and asked questions and then I went on my way.. Well... the officer called me today and asked for my insurance information and I just gave him my stuff and didn't tell him anything and I'm SO FREAKING SCARED.

I'm going to be so screwed aren't I?

Replies

• ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    GUYS!!!!!!! I'M SCARED!!!!!

Ok, so I'm poor and my insurance is EXTREMELY expensive and I couldnt afford to pay it last month so I had to let it cancel until I could pay it... well...

lo and behold.. 3 days after it cancels I get into an accident... It wasn't even my fault. I got rear ended. (Third accident in a year!! The first was my fault, I rear ended the person in front of me and messed up the whole front end of my car, the second I was in my boyfriends car on a major highway int he middle of winter and the car in front of my lost control and started spinning, bounced off the guard rail and slammed right into me sending me into a spin, and now this.)

Anyway, so since it was her fault I just avoided the whole exchanging insurance information thing (there really wasnt much damage anyway) and the cops came and asked questions and then I went on my way.. Well... the officer called me today and asked for my insurance information and I just gave him my stuff and didn't tell him anything and I'm SO FREAKING SCARED.

I'm going to be so screwed aren't I?
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I don't know what state you live in but in TX, you would just get a citation for driving a car without insurance. She could sue you personally for damages, though. It's going to be alright, though, try to relax (easier said than done, I know)

oops, sorry, misread it, though you said it was your fault.. :) Hope you feel better
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    She can't sue you if it was her fault. If the insurance JUST ran out I don't know if they would be too hard on you. It might be a little fine or something but probably a warning. DON'T drive again until your insurance is up and running. Take the bus, catch a ride, ride your bike or walk.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I don't know your state rules but you are probably looking at some sort of penalty by the DMV/MVA for letting your insurance lapse.

Can you find anyway of going and getting your insurance re-instated today? I think it would help your case if you show initiative. Beg, borrow and steal!!

Relax as best you can and be productive - worse thing you can do right now is hide your head in the sand.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh hugs honey....I hope it all works out and please don't drive until you get that taken care of....if its not your fault I don't think they can sue either...I know we all are feeling the squeeze money wise or at least I am :frown: but its not worth having something like this happen...I really hope it works out though!!!

hugs and sorry not much help!
    Ali
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    In Minnesota - if you are driving without valid insurance you will get a fine (not sure how much).

You need to get your insurance re-instated. You will lose your license if proof of insurance is not produced.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    According to an insurance website:

"It is illegal in Minnesota to drive without proper insurance...driving without proper insurance can result in fines, license suspension, or even jail time."

I had a feeling this was bad since in the state of Nevada illegal to operate motor vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds or golf carts on Nevada roadways without liability insurance coverage.

Generally, law enforcement officials will ask for proof of insurance at the time of a traffic stop or at the time of an accident in which damage or injury occurs. However, if a policy has lapsed or has not been renewed, the DMV will suspend operator’s privileges until proof of insurance is provided.

I wish you luck!
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    Okay, I'm an insurance agent.

1. If its illegal in your state to drive without insurance then you're probably going to get a citation and a court date. When you go to court they are going to ask for proof of insurance NOW. So you need to get a new policy put together ASAP.

2. You never want your policy to lapse or to go without insurance. Its expensive. I know. Trust me, I feel awful with how much people get charged for their insurance. But the thing is, if down the road you are more financially stable and you are going to do the "right thing" and get insurance you are going to get penalized HARD CORE for not keeping insurance on your car. My brother in law, for example, is paying three times as much as he normally would because he didn't have car insurance for 6 months.

3. If its been less than 5 days since your policy expired, then get a policy put into place TODAY. The rule of thumb in the industry is that if a policy has been out of force for 5 days or less, then there is no surcharge or penalty assessed on the new policy. If it has been more than 5 days, but less than 2 weeks, try going back to your old company and just paying the premium. Most of us have grace periods for payments of 7 to 14 days.

4. I never say this, but if you need cheap insurance call Geico or Progressive. They're usually cheaper for drivers with accidents on their records. To stay legal, tell them you only want the state minimums. THIS IS NOT ENOUGH TO DRIVE ON FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME!! So as soon as you can afford it, raise your liability to $100,000/$300,000. If you have to have full coverage on your car for your car loan company, ask for $1000 deductibles. And drop any unnecessary coverages like rental and towing.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, everyone, learn a lesson here. I know insurance is expensive but it is a necessary evil. If you got in an accident and injured someone, heaven forbid, you do not have enough money to cover how much you're going to be sued for!!

Okay, I'm getting off my soap box now.
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    RETHUN - thank you so much for the great post - taking the time to write that all out for one of our friends was a great thing to do!! :heart:
  • rethun01
    Options
    No problem. I love insurance and I love helping people. Most people have NO CLUE what their coverages are or how to use them effectively. My customers know that is the difference in working with me. :bigsmile:
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    RETHUN - thank you so much for the great post - taking the time to write that all out for one of our friends was a great thing to do!! :heart:

Yes, thank you very much. I'm going to call my insurance company right now. I'm already with Geico.
  • pmkelly409
    Options

Yes, thank you very much. I'm going to call my insurance company right now. I'm already with Geico.

Good for you!! Let us know how it goes!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rethun01
    Options
    Too bad you don't live in Illinois or Wisconsin. I would be happy to write your insurance for you! HA!
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    Sigh, Ok, I'm re-instated. It wasn't as much as I thought it was going to be... now I just have to figure out which bills to not pay to make up for this. I hope this helps..

At least I dont' have to worry about it anymore right? I mean, from now on I have coverage. (my monthly payment is actually about $40 lower than before.. weird huh?)

Ok, I'm going to take a big, deep breath.

I can handle this. Right?
  • rethun01
    Options
    Yes! You can do it :heart: