Please share your lunch ideas.

Options
WTBSE
WTBSE Posts: 72 Member
Hi guys,
i am a bit stuck for ideas on lunches i can have and am wondering if you lovely people could help me please :)

if you look through my diary, you will see that i always seem to eat sandwiches. i am SICK of sandwiches, they are boring after a while, and i am also trying to reduce my carb intake.

I would prefer something hot to eat at lunchtime, but not a huge meal. I am at home, so dont have to worry about only having access to a microwave etc.

What do you have for lunch?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Sometimes I have a banana and some greek yogurt.
    Now and then a Lean Cuisine type meal.
    Eggs.
    Bowl of cereal.
    I like breakfast, can you tell? :)
    Sometimes I just have a protein bar and some almonds.
    Often it is leftovers from the prior night's dinner. I usually make enough to have at least one meal of leftovers.
  • pink_and_twinkly
    pink_and_twinkly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm at work so it's mainly sarnies too, and even my non work lunches are bread based.

I do like Soup for lunch, although normally have it with bread.
    Or beans/scrambled egg on toast.
    Small jacket spud with beans and salad.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at cooking yet, but when i cook i try to make it simple :)
    my favorite new grain i found out is spelt. You just cook it put anything you have in your fridge in it! Vegetables, sauces, meat, anything! And it's very healty! And delicious :D
    i love to make gigantic salads also :) i put all kinds of things in my salad so i don't get hungry fast. Pasta, tuna, chicken, you name it :)
    hope i inspired you to make some yummy dishes!
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What do you have access to at work? Microwave? Oven? Toaster? Blender?

We are lucky to have a full kitchen so Im able to do lots at work...

Crockpots are great for set it before work come home it's done and then use some for lefts overs. We've been eating shredded crockpot pork or chicken over baked sweet potatoes = YUM! (for crockpot ideas: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/01/crockpot-diet.html )

Same pork or chicken over a big bead of lettuce with black beans and salsa

Same pork or chicken in a wrap with a slice of cheese and a dollop of plain greek yogurt

We had BLT's the other day, made the bacon at home and brought the fixings to work, toasted the bread

I cook...too much...well not really, I just love to :-) add or ask if you'd like
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm very boring and eat yams, sweet potatoes almost daily for lunch, that and yellow squash.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm very boring and eat yams, sweet potatoes almost daily for lunch, that and yellow squash.

SO NOT BORING! YUM! :-)
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I have access to a microwave in work and prefer hot meals. I have:

- spicy lentil stew
    - sausage casserole
    - spicy bean soup (loaded with all types of pulses, veg)
    - chilli con carne with brown rice
    - homemade meatloaf with salad
    - curried quinoa with salad (super yum, my new fav)
    - spanish omelette with leftovers in it
    - beans with baked potato

I cut out alot of bread in my diet, not a concious choice to be honest but I suffer with IBS problems. Get sick of sandwiches anyway and I always want a bag of crisps with one anyway!
  • kindo
    kindo Posts: 11
    Options
    I eat the same thing for lunch every weekday (and have for years)

50g oatmeal
    20g raisins
    20g dried cranberries
    1 apple
    cinnamon to taste

Cut up the apple, mix all ingredients, add water to cover, nuke for 2 minutes....listen to everyone at work say "that smells SO good"...let cool and enjoy! About 400 calories, a little less.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I make big batches of soup or veggie dishes (like spicy ground turkey "spaghetti" that's way more veggies than pasta" and freeze them in Pyrex 2-cup bowls. Perfect serving size for lunch, and if I make something different every weekend, I get a nice variety in stock (since each batch makes 12-14 servings) so I don't get bored.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    125 gramms (or half the tub) of low fat cottage cheese, with salt and pepper, 6 saltine biscuits, (Ritz or TUC or similar), plain natural unsweetened yogurt over 100grams (90% of a cupful in USA money) of green seedless grapes, coffe and pint of water.

:drinker:
  • princesspinkpaw
    Options
    I have a jacket potato at least once a week, normally with tuna mayo or cottage cheese. If you want a less carb heavy option then a backed sweet potato with a healthy option on top.

I got quickly bored of soup even different options. I do sometimes have veg pots but they can be expensive unless you can get them when they are reduced before their date goes.

I quite like wraps for a difference or filled pitta breads. You could fill them with warm fillings, I like haloumi cheese grilled in mine with a bit of natural pesto, which is easy to make yourself.

Couscous can be warm when you buy the single serving packs, but after making my own which I eat cold at work, I found the little Ainsley Harriet pack far too salty, so much so I couldn't eat it. With couscous you can use any flavours you like really and I add loads of different veggies to it, simple simply griddle peppers, courgette and other beg to serve with it.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Most of my lunches are working lunches, sitting at my desk trying to catch up so I try to eat light.

PB2 and rice cakes

steamed cauliflower with spaghetti sauce

josephs pita bread with steamed broccoli and laughing cow cheese wrap

wheat pasta with steamed broccoli and olive tapanade

tuna salad and tomato

chicken salad and sugar snap peas
  • bluetrader
    Options
    I eat a good hardy breakfast later in the morning.

For lunch I have 2 cups of cauliflower and either a hard boiled egg or pickled egg if I'd made any the week before. It's only about 100 calories so have plenty of ammo for either breakfast or dinner.

I started with MFP 10 days ago and have lost about 8 pounds. I feel better than I have in years!
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Some good quality smoked fish with salad and coleslaw on the side, you can warm the fish or not according to preference and if you wanted you could have potato salad or a small jacket with it.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I make my menu on the weekend and then on Sundays I do lots of food prep. I cook everything in advance to make it easy in the mornings to grab out of the freezer and go. I make turkey burgers, Jamie Eason's turkey muffins, I bag up veggies, almonds, etc.. in serving size baggies.

Monday: Tuna sandwich on Ezekiel bread with raw carrots as a side.
    Yesterday: I had a turkey burger on Ezekiel bread w/ mustard, spinach, and pickles. My side was raw cauliflower.
    Today: I'm having Jamie Eason's meatloaf with some roasted potatoes and squash.

Check out dashingdish.com, skinnytaste.com, bodybuilding.com for some great recipe ideas
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Today I've had 1 tin tuna, chopped onion, chopped boiled egg, cooked cold peas , chopped pepper all bound with low fat salad cream and a pinch of chilli powder :-)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    For small hot meals, I like:

boiled eggs
    a small stir fry
    a small baked potato (or sweet potato) with cheese and baked beans
    quinoa and lentils with veg

If you like something hot and sweet, a lovely filling meal is porridge with cooked apple - when I make this, I chop up an apple and a pear, and boil them in a pan, leave to simmer for about 20 minutes and then I add porridge oats and simmer for a few more minutes. Sometimes I also add raspberries or blackberries. I don't add any milk because I don't like milk, but I imagine you could add milk too if you wanted. I add a pinch of salt rather than sugar, because I don't have a very sweet tooth.
  • MooseBear86
    MooseBear86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I get bored of soup, I have a grilled chicken breast with fresh salsa and a wholemeal wrap :) yummy
  • phoenixoncemore
    phoenixoncemore Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It depends what you have access to at work and how much time, money and effort you have to devote to it! I have no time, little money and absolutely zero motivation to prep meals, so here's a few things I do;

I save Chinese containers (which are very handy) and take in leftovers from dinner to microwave.

In the winter I make a few different soups, broccoli and stilton is my favourite, and they only come out as 75 - 150 calories per serving. The plain veg one is nice and only takes 1 potato, 1-2 carrots, 1 onion and a vegetable stock cube and about 10 minutes at home to make 3 or 4 servings, I use a hand blender to make it thicker.

I also sometimes take in bagels or English muffins to pop in the toaster with a small pot of low fat cream cheese or jam.

Porridge is quite good and you only need a kettle for that. I put the oats in the chinese container, along with a spoonful of cocoa, jam, honey and cinnamon, or flaked almonds, add boiling water and give it a stir, put the top on for a couple of minutes and it cooks itself. Doesn't have to be Ready Brek or anything expensive, I use the supermarket value bag!

You can also make up single fajitas, which can just be microwaved until hot.

Edited because I just realised you said you are at home not a work - sorry!
  • Jexebel
    Jexebel Posts: 67
    Options
    My lunch always has stir friend veggies of some sort. Some sort of grilled/ sauteed/ baked meat (usually chicken). And a bit <1/2 cup of rice/potatoes/something carby. Everyone at work is always jelly of how good my lunch smells.

Other times it's just dinner leftovers.