Feeling good about yourself

You know, I overheard a converation in the gym yesterday that had me quite baffled! :indifferent: A very attractive young lady was working out with a friend, and I overheard her say something about losing weight for her man because he doesn't like fat women!!!:frown: Now, she wasn't FAT, but she was slightly overweight. She had good musle tone, and was absolutely beautiful! It got me to thinking about how we view ourselves in general. People, we have to LOVE ourselves! :heart: We have to realize that WEIGHT can be lost, and it takes willpower, time, effort and patience, but things CAN get better! :smile: Her friend actually had the nerve to tell her that if she wanted to keep him, then she needed to work harder!!!:grumble: :angry: :huh: Since when does a MAN (or woman for all you fellas out there!) define who we are as people!!!!?????? To all of my wonderful MFP friends, YOU ARE FABULOUS!!!!:happy: Don't let anyone tell you that you're any less just because you're temporarily comfortable around the middle!!!:happy:

Replies

• You know, I overheard a converation in the gym yesterday that had me quite baffled! :indifferent: A very attractive young lady was working out with a friend, and I overheard her say something about losing weight for her man because he doesn't like fat women!!!:frown: Now, she wasn't FAT, but she was slightly overweight. She had good musle tone, and was absolutely beautiful! It got me to thinking about how we view ourselves in general. People, we have to LOVE ourselves! :heart: We have to realize that WEIGHT can be lost, and it takes willpower, time, effort and patience, but things CAN get better! :smile: Her friend actually had the nerve to tell her that if she wanted to keep him, then she needed to work harder!!!:grumble: :angry: :huh: Since when does a MAN (or woman for all you fellas out there!) define who we are as people!!!!?????? To all of my wonderful MFP friends, YOU ARE FABULOUS!!!!:happy: Don't let anyone tell you that you're any less just because you're temporarily comfortable around the middle!!!:happy:
  • jfiscer
    jfiscer Posts: 24
    AMEN!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    It sounds like the problem is the relationship more than the weight. And perhaps the "friendship," too.

Some men (and I'm sure some women, too) are very hypocritical about weight. They say nasty things about overweight women and yet they believe it's ok for men (e.g. themselves) to be overweight since there will always be some woman who will have them.

This kind of talk disgusts me, and strikes me as disrespect for women more than anything else. I hope that none of us are in a relationship with someone like that.

I do find it worrisome when I see profiles that say "so my husband/wife won't be embarrassed by me."

There is a huge disparity between my own parents' weights. I don't know all the words that they have had with one another on the topic, but I can say that in public situations, it always upset my overweight parent more than my fit parent to go out in public.

Maybe we project our own embarrassment (be it about weight or anything else) onto those we love?
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    I agree, it makes me very sad :cry: (see I am sad) when I see someone who is very very attractive and realize that they have a poor body image. I have said it before and I will say it again. There are some very very attractive people around here, I can't believe some of the comments that I read around here.

That said, I also suffer from a poor body image (yeah I know, practice what I preach). It's pretty amazing how much social pressure we are under even when it comes to image. I think the world would be a lot nicer if we were able to see ourselves through each others eyes.