Garmin Forerunners

Does anyone have a Garmin? Which model do you have? I've been looking at the 305... They are soooo expensive & I'm wondering if they are worth it. Do you like it? More importantly, do you think it helped your running? (motivation, time, distance, etc)

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    I'm a data geek so yes I have one

I used to have the 201 but then after 3 years I accidently washed it and it did not survive.

I ended up getting the 110 to replace it and mostly am happy with it. I do wish it showed during lap time and had the ability to review the data prior to loading it on the computer
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I have the 410 because my husband has expensive taste lol... I suggested the 110 as plenty for me. And all I use are the features of the 110 - HR monitor strap, distance, time, pace, calories burned. I also have the foot pod and measure cadence... and that has been helpful when for whatever reason it couldn't find the satellites (also good for if you use an indoor track). I have set the HR zones and had a little look at the virtual trainer thing but don't get using them yet haha. I just know my HR targets and look at them as I go. Same with lap pace - if I set it to 1km increments, it's pretty accurate as to how fast I'm going now although, of course, not exact.

But yeah, I'm a data geek too...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm using a 610 (love the touch screen & smaller form factor) that I bought to replace my 305 that gave me great service. I have mine set up so it displays my pace in mins/km so in that regard it's helped me run the correct pace for the workout I'm doing (even though with a bit of experience perceived effort is a pretty accurate indicator)

The 305 is an excellent model, the screen is nice and big ( a plus for old eyes like mine) and it has settings for running and biking etc.

I definitely consider them worth the money. If you're a little patient you should be able to find a deal on a 305.
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    I have the 305 and I love it! I bought mine through eBay with a foot pod for £110 , so easy to use and I find it really motivates me :bigsmile:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    My $.02 - get the 410 w/HRM strap from the Costco.com for $199 shipped!

I have a 610, before that I had the 405, 305 & 201.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    305. It's awesome. No more going out for a drive to scout out my runs for distance.

Does it help my running? Probably not but it sure is a fun little gadget!!
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    I have a 305. I found it on amazon for about $175. I know someone that found one at Walmart for $120.
    It's my security blanket, lol.
  • I have one, nut I normally just run with my iPhone instead. It has my music and a free mapmyrun app that tracks my distance, speed, etc. plus I like having the phone for safety reasons.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I have the 410 and it's definitely pretty pricey but I bought it with birthday money. :)

I like the virtual trainer because it makes me work harder to stay "ahead" of the little guy who's running at my goal pace. I really like the mile splits, the interval timer (I run intervals), the ability to set up three screens with the same time data I want to see (HR, current speed, calories burned, time elapsed, current time, etc.) The battery life is excellent. It also has a great feature where you can choose your current coordinates and then later find your way back to that same spot. Excellent for finding your car at Disneyland. It also has a compass.

Once you upload the data, their site has a great layout of your course and stats.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    I looked at the Garmin watches and ended up getting a Nike+ as I used the app on my phone for so long and the only real data I was worried about were spilts/pace/distance.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    405 here. Like it a lot and yes it helps my motivation
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    I have the 305, I got used for $100, I love it for biking and running. But looking forward to my new bia- sportswatch when they come out in april of next year, smaller and more features.. I pre-oredered thru kickstart for $199, will probably give the garmin to hubby once I get my bia

Connie
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    I didn't know this technology was available! Where can I start to get just a basic tool that tells me how far I run and how fast? I'm thinking I can afford $50 for starters. I'm just getting back into running, and I can't justify more than that until I stick to this for 6 months, but I'm SURE it will relieve a lot of stress in my runs!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I honestly don't know if you can find a GOOD GPS HRM for $50 but you might be able to find a used one on Craigslist or ebay. Buying one with a GPS that doesn't work very well is a big waste of money because your distances would always be questionable.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    I got my 305 used for $80 bucks. Best money I've spent. I love it and use it for all my training and races.
    For a good deal check ebay/craigslist for used ones.

Also depending on what features you want Garmin offers a pretty big lineup. You can find in depth reviews here: www.dcrainmaker.com
  • Thanks for all of the great input...I'm convinced I want (dare I say need??? lol) one, now to convince my hubby :)
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    305 - a bit large, but quite nice.
  • I have the 410 because my husband has expensive taste lol... I suggested the 110 as plenty for me. And all I use are the features of the 110 - HR monitor strap, distance, time, pace, calories burned. I also have the foot pod and measure cadence... and that has been helpful when for whatever reason it couldn't find the satellites (also good for if you use an indoor track). I have set the HR zones and had a little look at the virtual trainer thing but don't get using them yet haha. I just know my HR targets and look at them as I go. Same with lap pace - if I set it to 1km increments, it's pretty accurate as to how fast I'm going now although, of course, not exact.

But yeah, I'm a data geek too...

I have a garmin 210 and love it. It helps me view my progress and really single out the runs where I've pushed it and can see the improvement. The only fault I can say with the Garmin is if you want to create your own running program in your calendar for say a marathon, and send the data to your watch, the 410 is the only compatible version *I think*. The 210 definitely does not allow you to send programs to your watch.

Overall though, it takes the guess work out and lets you know exactly where you at! I recommend a Garmin any day!

I love my Garmin :o) and the HRM is soooo comfortable!! It fits right under your bra and you dont even notice it.

FYI: The foot pod is only for indoor use and will not pick up a GPS signal when in use. You must choose to use your Garmin outdoors, with the foot pod off, before it will reach a GPS signal. So, one or the other.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I didn't know this technology was available! Where can I start to get just a basic tool that tells me how far I run and how fast? I'm thinking I can afford $50 for starters. I'm just getting back into running, and I can't justify more than that until I stick to this for 6 months, but I'm SURE it will relieve a lot of stress in my runs!

You can just use Nike+ on an iPod or iPhone if you have it... you have to calibrate the distance though. The Nike+ on my iPod Nano was WAY off for distance. It also gives you an estimate of calories burned for your pace.
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    I had a 305 and really liked it except its very large for a female.
    One other comment about the 305 - it estimates your calories
    burned using time and distance NOT your HR. Even though it comes
    with a HRM and reports your average Max rate etc.

I've just gotten a 410 and so far its pretty good. It does use HR to calculate
    calories.

I also recommend looking at the reviews by dcrainmaker.com (listed by
    ironmanpanda) - they're long and very detailed.