Do you count fruit sugar?

I limit my sugar intake but I hate that it limits my fresh fruit. Bananas, grapes, apples, they are all great for you but they through my sugar way off. I don't drink a lot of fruit juice because it doesn't have all of the same benefits but I don't want to feel bad about having a cookie or granola bar because I also had fruit. What do you guys do?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    If we could exclude sugar from foods that we like i'd exclude snickers sugar

Sorry but sugar is sugar, you gotta count it from wherever it comes from
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    yep, it counts, sorry
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I do not worry about my sugar level on here at all. I do not eat foods with added sugar, or any processed foods. So all the sugars I get are from natural foods, which our bodies are made to process.
  • I don't pay attention to sugar just everything else, I always go over it because of fruit but I still lose weight
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    sugar from fruits is a different type than added sugar but still causes insulin spikes which lead to fat storage. I don't eat bananas for this reason, very high sugar content, relatively speaking.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    No.

Full disclosure: I don't count ice cream sugar either.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    sugar from fruits is a different type than added sugar but still causes insulin spikes which lead to fat storage. I don't eat bananas for this reason, very high sugar content, relatively speaking.

by that logic, you should avoid protein too
  • manueljw
    manueljw Posts: 15
    I limit my sugar intake but I hate that it limits my fresh fruit. Bananas, grapes, apples, they are all great for you but they through my sugar way off. I don't drink a lot of fruit juice because it doesn't have all of the same benefits but I don't want to feel bad about having a cookie or granola bar because I also had fruit. What do you guys do?

I include fruit sugars. That is a must because sugars turn to fat when not used.
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    was wondering about this too. I started blending up some strawberries/banana/skim milk smoothies for breakfast and it pretty much kills the sugar for the day :grumble:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Why even worry about this? Sugar is a carb. Manage your overall carbs and eat whole foods like fruit and you'll be just fine.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    I too love my fresh fruit, and I too go over my sugar limits. I don't worry to much about it as a previous poster said, it's all natural sugar, it isn't sugar that has been added for flavor or sweetness. You can count it if you want, but I sure don't. Although I do limit my fruit intake so it isn't absurdly high, I only ever do 2 servings of fruit a day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Sugar = carb and if your carbs are moderate, then your fine.
  • I don't count sugar period.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    I just count my fruit as carbs.
  • kcdough
    kcdough Posts: 8
    Yes , limit fruit sugar and carb intake.. things will workout... It's all about discipline... Oh boy...:smile:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I don't worry about them, it's natural and I have already cut out most of the other refined carbs. I'm low on carbs anyway, I go over protein most of the time...
  • kcdough
    kcdough Posts: 8
    I agree.
  • I don't count my fruit sugar. Sugar is sugar is probably true. But I don't have any problems with my blood sugar so I won't worry about it too much. I think all the nutrients of fruits are worth that extra sugar if you're not a diabetic.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    I'll admit that I'm not big on tracking macros. I mainly look at calories, but I usually chuckle because I blow all my sugar for the day at lunch eating grapes (frozen). I eat them every day, they are yummy and have not impeded my weight loss.
  • don't count sugar. count carbs. better yet, count protein and fat, and let carbs end up where they may.