Rant about the Sugar Limit..

schustc
schustc Posts: 428 Member
I'm not a sugar fiend generally - I mean, if I'm having a high calorie day/maintenance day, i'm sure it's higher as I'm allowing possibly other foods I don't eat regularly. But come on. A sugar limit of 34, when a single apple has 22 makes this goal highly unreasonable.

So much for 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day - how would that be possible? Anyhow. I have given up all artificial sweeteners, and am eating small amounts of organic sugar (20 calories for my coffee, and sometimes 20 calories for my snack use later in the day).

That accounts for 6-12 grams or so a day of added sugar to my diet for an entire day - not horrible. The natural sugars found in fruits, veggies, cottage cheese... it's just irritating to see that red flag is all.

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    I agree. I can eat that much just with salad veggies and a couple of peices of fruit in a day.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    You can go to goals - set custom goals and change your sugar to whatever you think is reasonable.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    I ignore sugar. Remove it if you don't want to see the red. Fruits have too many benefits. I think added sugar is important to watch because it's almost always comes with high fat processed foods.

People hate me on this site for saying things like this but......

I just can't forget a person who weighed 300 lbs blamed it all on fruit. That was an eye roller!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    You are too right! I can not stand the fact that they can not differentiate between fruit sugar and oreo sugar.:mad:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I don't count sugars, I count carbs and most days I'll be over in protein but very seldom in carbs. I also seldom eat refined carbs ( like white bread or pasta) and I am still losing 2 pounds a week...
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    I agree
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    I just don't track it, carbs are enough info for me, I am a veggie/fruit freak anyway.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I made my sugar limit 1/4 of my overall carb intake. Then I stopped tracking. :P
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Lol. Why would you go on a rant about a generic limit that you can change to whatever you want?
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    I'm not a sugar fiend generally - I mean, if I'm having a high calorie day/maintenance day, i'm sure it's higher as I'm allowing possibly other foods I don't eat regularly. But come on. A sugar limit of 34, when a single apple has 22 makes this goal highly unreasonable.

So much for 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day - how would that be possible? Anyhow. I have given up all artificial sweeteners, and am eating small amounts of organic sugar (20 calories for my coffee, and sometimes 20 calories for my snack use later in the day).

That accounts for 6-12 grams or so a day of added sugar to my diet for an entire day - not horrible. The natural sugars found in fruits, veggies, cottage cheese... it's just irritating to see that red flag is all.

try to keep track of your fiber ratio to sugar, that will help you feel better about it :)
  • I was just thinking this. I ignore it now, but I was plugging in my meal for tomorrow and with just my breakfast, I've over my sugar intake goal (2% milk, banana, and bran cereal).
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    You are too right! I can not stand the fact that they can not differentiate between fruit sugar and oreo sugar.:mad:

even on my diet where sugar is drastically reduced, i often hit the red. and that is without eating hardly any fruit. because my body can not differentiate between fruit sugar and oreo sugar :tongue:

re:the sugar keeping the person fat -- if you keep your sugar low, your body must burn fat to get it's calorie energy. if you eat a lot of sugar, your body uses that energy first, cuz it's easier, and it's just floating around your blood stream.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    I try my best and I don't freak out if my sugars went up because I went fruit crazy. Grin.
  • schustc
    Lol. Why would you go on a rant about a generic limit that you can change to whatever you want?

cause I was tired and irritated. :) LOL I know we can change it - it just seems so - irritating - to have an unrealistic limit in the first place.

I RARELY hit my carb goal. the vast majority of my sugar comes from fruit and veggies normally, or dairy possibly. Sometimes we just feel like venting - and I got tired of that red number flagging ;-)

I think I'll just up the limit. I like to be aware of sugars in general - but eating right/good shouldn't cause you to easily exceed the limits I would think.

Anyhow - just a vent :) in a goodhearted way..
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I don't think it's unrealistic at all. But that isn't the point - posting this thread took way more time and effort than removing the easily customizable thing that was bothering you. It's very silly. Do you expect them to somehow cater to your specific needs without you having to do a thing?
  • goodeater24
    goodeater24 Posts: 41 Member
    I don't see anything even on my goal page or my final report that shows a limit or target for sugar. I'd love to know where to find that info. I do know that I eat no refined or added sugar, or sugar substitutes, no refined carbs, and my sugar averages at least 55. That's with one piece of fruit.

I have the same trouble with protein. I eat tons of broccoli and brussels sprouts and they have more protein than most "protein" foods. I'm always over my limit of protein.
  • schustc
    I don't think it's unrealistic at all. But that isn't the point - posting this thread took way more time and effort than removing the easily customizable thing that was bothering you. It's very silly. Do you expect them to somehow cater to your specific needs without you having to do a thing?

NO - it was a rant in fun - not a complaint to MFP. It's not serious enough to lose sleep over, but it is a little silly to have a limit of that AND expect the 5 fruits and veggies goal per day. In my opinion anyhow..

Anyhow.. It's a good natured thread - I am not MAD about it..LOL just a little irritated at the red number is all... ;--) as I mentioned earlier I'll probably change the setting. I like to see sugars but wish the goal were more realistic. it may be fore low carb dieters perhaps, or diabetics maybe, but, I don't think it's a reasonable expectation for the average person.

Thanks for replying ! :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    eh. just stop tracking sugar. unless you are diabetic, no reason to, anyway. just track and keep in check with carbs, and you'll be fine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    Remove it as a column and just measure overall carbs. Sugar is a carb or comes from the carbs you eat. If you are managing carbs it's not nessesary to addtionally measure sugar. Eliminate it or measure something more useful to you like potassium.