Egg yolks almost as bad as smoking?

Jugie12
Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
Hey peeps, I just stumbled across this article a minute ago and wanted to see what you all thought. It doesn't sound very stable as far as methods and comparisons (and no actual sources besides the name of the journal) but....your opinions? Additional articles that agree with or argue against this one? I love me some eggs... what do you think?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/heart-health/0815/egg-yolks-almost-as-bad-for-arteries-as-smoking.aspx?xid=aol_eh-news_9_20120813_&aolcat=HLT&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl15|sec3_lnk2&pLid=192991

Replies

• wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Nonsense.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    With no disrespect to the OP for posting the article,
    Nonsense.

^ That.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    This abomination has already been comprehensively shot down.

The people behind it have a history of being anti-egg.

Anti-egg? Jeez, what have we come to?

Natural food is not out to kill us.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    I'm gonna go throw away all my 7 cartons of brown eggs in my fridge!!! Thanks for the HU!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I think this one came up yesterday.

My only take on this "study" is pretty simple:

About the worst health risk from eating eggs and the cholesterol that comes with them is arterial plaque. With smoking, it's very low in the list of things that will kill you. Lung cancer is a heck of a lot higher in the list.

A study like this is akin to comparing broken ankles caused by smoking to broken ankles caused by jogging. Yes, there is a much higher chance that you'll break an ankle while running than while smoking. But that doesn't mean that smoking is healthier than jogging. It just means that jogging, for all its benefits, comes with some small risks - risks that are totally worth it.

Smoking is all risk, with little to no benefit.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    I found a study online as well. "Breathing air, as dangerous as touching live power lines while chewing on cyanide."
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I found a study online as well. "Breathing air, as dangerous as touching live power lines while chewing on cyanide."

It's true. In almost 100% of cases, both are deadly within 110 years.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Study smudy!
  • Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Hey, I have a parcel of land to sell you....it grows money trees....
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Hey, I have a parcel of land to sell you....it grows money trees....

ooooo really? can I haz it?
  • *facepalm*
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    it's about as dangerous as posting the exact same topic within 24hours of each other.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    One more time ... Dietary cholesterol intake does not affect blood serum cholesterol AND 'high' blood serum cholesterol is not a indicator for heart disease anyway.

Never has been, never will be ... We can all stop worrying about consuming cholesterol.

Cholesterol is a necessary substance in the body to facilitate repair and maintenance.

We make way more cholesterol per day, naturally, than we will ever eat. Why? Because we need it.
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Crazy- and I haven't even read the article. I did hear this on public radio yesterday.
    Sorry, can't hardly imagine there is any truth to that...

common sense isn't common.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    I don't see how egg yolks could be as bad as smoking - I mean, I could barely get them into the pipe, let alone keep them lit.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Bless your heart:flowerforyou:
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    sounds legit.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    I'll accept my fate of lung cancer for some omelettes!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    LMAO geez, I don't agree with the article, I think that was clean in the post. And no, I'm not cancelling my dinner fo scrambled eggs tonight. Can you imagine though, how many people do actually buy into it? Can you fathom how many folks are going to read that article on AOL or something this morning, and without any additonal investigation or critical thinking, will go home and throw out all their eggs? It's scary to think this stuff gets published, as shotty as it is. You and I know it's b.s. -- make sure you enlighten those around you who don't!

Man, now I want some eggs. :love: