Fruit and veggie carbs

So I get my fruit and veggies in daily. But hate how high of carbs they have! I end up having a higher carb intake for the day then what I would prefer, but I don't want to not eat them either. Anybody know of any vegs or fruits that have low carb or none? Or is there such a thing?

Replies

• Katie22222
    Katie22222 Posts: 31 Member
    I think asparagus is pretty low-carb and has only 15 calories/100g.
  • I eat alot of veggies, and fruits that is where I get my carb intake. Don't forget fruits n veggies r good carbs. I try my best to stay away from bad carbs which some days r better then some, check out my food log. I hope this help
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    So I get my fruit and veggies in daily. But hate how high of carbs they have! I end up having a higher carb intake for the day then what I would prefer, but I don't want to not eat them either. Anybody know of any vegs or fruits that have low carb or none? Or is there such a thing?

Green leafy veggies have the lowest carbs. Broccoli and asparagus also have low carbs. Berries are also lower carb.

But why be afraid of carbs?

Edit: Cauliflower too
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    I was going to suggest celery (which I can't stand myself, btw), but here is a link to 25 low carb veggies options.

http://www.dlife.com/dlife_media/diabetes_slideshows/lowest-carb-veggies?gclid=CN2r2e7U7LECFYRgTAodrUAAEw
  • berries are lower carb fruits.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    I cut down on grains and upped my fruit/veg intake. I eat less fruits than veg, and when I eat bread or other cereal grains I try to make it as complex as possible. What carb numbers are you shooting for?
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Hi..as a low carb eater for many years maybe I can help. All Fruits have carbs but what to look for is low glycemic (ie lower in sugar).

The fruits lowest in sugars are berries. Apples and melons are next and pretty good. Then you get into sweeter fruits and the sugar content goes up. Bannans (my favorite) is also a big no.

With regards to veges almost all veges are low glycemic. But especialy green leafy vegetables. IT's been said you can't gain wait with those types of veges as it takes more calories to break them down and digest then they actually give back.

IT's really important for your overall health to eat allot of vegetables. When you go lwo carb you end up eating allot of protein and fats which can clog you up (if you know what I mean). The fiber in vegetables keeps everything moving through your system. Also the micro nutrients in vegetables are really critical to keeping you feeling and working your best.

Hope this helps.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Remember that most fruits have fiber carbs which are not digestible. So you can use the net carbs for your diary.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    I cut down on grains and upped my fruit/veg intake. I eat less fruits than veg, and when I eat bread or other cereal grains I try to make it as complex as possible. What carb numbers are you shooting for?

^^^This! Fruits, veggies, and whole grains have nutrients our bodies need. As long as you are not going waaaay over the recommended amount, this shouldn't be a problem. It's the simple carbs you have to watch out for (sweets, white breads/pastas, etc...). I'd also stay away from white potatoes and rice, as they are almost purely starch and otherwise have very little nutritional value.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Remember that most fruits have fiber carbs which are not digestible. So you can use the net carbs for your diary.

some types of fiber are fermented into short-chain fatty acids, which do end up providing calories
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    This is ridiculous. Vegetables and fruit are more than just carbs. They contain a lot of micronutrients and phytonutrients that support just about every system in your body, including a healthy metabolism. Just eat them.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    The more tropical fruits are higher fructose and carb content (bananas, papaya, etc) Melons, berries and citrus are lower. And as far as veggies, the general rule is that the closer in color to flour, the higher carb content like corn, white potatoes, eggplant (with Cauliflower being the exception). Broccoli, asparagus, kale, brussel sprouts, Peppers, you get the idea. I *watch* my carbs, but I don't freak about the ones from veggies. I am careful with the fruits (sorta). If I want something sweet though, sugar from a banana with a little honey is better than sugar from a snickers bar. I limit tropical fruits to a few times a week, but eat the HELL outta some melon, apples and berries. As long as you are getting MOST (if not all) of your carbs from natural sources, your body knows how to process those better. We were given the grinding teeth through evolution, or God, or pixies or where ever, so that we can eat plants as well as meat. They were not made for Sunbeam sandwich bread.........

I have used this method and have lost a total of 185 with PCOS and an insulin resistance....... Must be ok.
  • Fruits always have more carbohydrates than vegetables and this is why some diets completely eliminate their consumption. However since they are all natural, non processed food I wouldn't bother worrying about them. I always prefer fruits and vegetables as my main carbohydrate source. Today I ate 1.2 kg grapefruits. If you want your carbohydrate intake to be lower just exclude all other carbs.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    90% of what I eat is veggies, fruits, and beans. If you're doing it this way, I wouldn't worry about the carbs.
  • KCramer12
    KCramer12 Posts: 153 Member
    I dont have a certain # I want to stay in. I am a huge pasta eater but since MFP have cut them wayyyyy down. I a, just going by what recommended for me on here. I still eat vegs of all kinds and fruits and always will just was curious on lower carb ones. Thanks so much for the info everyone!
  • It is important to remember that many fruits & veggies have a lot of fiber which can be subtracted from the total number of carbs in the food. For example I read that a green apple has 15g of carbs and 7g of fiber. So the net carbs of the apple are only 8g! I try to go low carb also but I'm wary of anyone who says that I should limit fruits & veggies too much. Nothing is heathier than fruits & veggies imho. I sometimes eat 2 apples and a lot of veggies daily and I'm losing weight very well. Of course you probably shouldn't eat a lot of canned and processed fruits or starchy veggies but for the most part I've found that the carbs in fruits & veggies are not that bad. At least for me!
    :)
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    While fruits and veggies have various amounts of carbs, they are considered a "free" food on many programs because most of the carbs that you get from them are fiber. You will have to go in anc calculate the fiber content of fruits and veggies you eat and subtract those from the total carb. For example, if an orange is 29 grams of carbs and 20 of those grams of carbs are fiber you are only getting 9 grams of carbs in the end. The 20 grams of carbs are needed to aid in digestion. As it has been said before fiber is needed in the aiding of digestion and those carbs don't really count at the end of the day.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    You could always try calculating your net carbs. Just subtract out your fiber grams from your carbs to get your net total. If you are getting your fiber from natural sources and not just from supplements, you should be on track to stay under your net carbs for the day.

I eat high(ish) carbs because I endurance train, but I also eat a lot of fiber.
  • I agree with the other posters who say eat your vegetables. As a reluctant vegan, that is almost all I eat. Forget the carbs and enjoy the benefits of eating delicious veggies "all you want!"
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member

some types of fiber are fermented into short-chain fatty acids, which do end up providing calories
    EVERYTHING you eat provides calories.