Chicken Breast

I have never been a very good cook, but I'm trying. I need some advice on cooking chicken breast. I grill it on the George Foreman, but it's pretty flavorless and it's always overcooked and dry, because I'm afraid of under cooking it. How do I get it to come out decent?

Replies

• LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    the only way I avoid over cooking my chicken was by getting and using a meat thermometer. I can't stand over cooked chicken lol so stringy.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    specifically, a digital meat thermometer.
  • After years of cooking I have finally found a way to cook chicken breast the healthiest way... Line a tray with baking paper. Put the chicken breasts on and cover with Cajun spices or tandoori or something like that.. Throw in some garlic cloves even if you like garlic. Then spray a little olive oil and put it in the oven on 180-200 and cook for approx 20 mins or so. Once it is cooked take it out and slice up and throw on top of your salad.. I make this at least once a week the kids love it. The chicken comes out nice and tender and healthy..
  • i cook it in the crock pot over night on low with some bell peppers , onions and some fat free marinade. comes out with good flavor and moist. chicken tenderloins much more tender though :)
  • I steam mine! Soooo juicy and tender :D
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    After years of cooking I have finally found a way to cook chicken breast the healthiest way... Line a tray with baking paper. Put the chicken breasts on and cover with Cajun spices or tandoori or something like that.. Throw in some garlic cloves even if you like garlic. Then spray a little olive oil and put it in the oven on 180-200 and cook for approx 20 mins or so. Once it is cooked take it out and slice up and throw on top of your salad.. I make this at least once a week the kids love it. The chicken comes out nice and tender and healthy..

I do this all the time!! My favourite is to cover with paprika. Comes out really nice and juicy.

To the OP dont be afraid of undercooking your chicken - my housemate is like that and always leavers hers in an extra 10minutes and it's dry and awful when mine is perfect and moist. Then she get jealous of mine lol.

I've also made ratatouille in a casserole dish and for the last half hour in the oven I laid chicken breasts on the top and the veg juices kept them lovely and moist.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Bake the chicken breast in foil in the oven with herbs, onion, wine, veg (basically any flavouring you want the list is only limited by your/my imagination).

Ones I have donein the past include;

a slice of lemon and parsley,
    slice of onion, lemon thyme and 1 tbsp of wine
    fennel and wine
    onion and fajita seasoning

I think Jamie Oliver did a recipie for this (a LONG time ago)
  • mrtoaster
    mrtoaster Posts: 90 Member
    I cook chicken on the foreman as well. The way I do it is sprinkle a little garlic powder and salt in the breast and allow it to cook on a high heat for about 8 minutes or until the top of the breast is goldlen and the garlic is charred. Then take a sharp knife and cut into the thickest part, if there is any pink, I'll allow it to cook for a couple more minutes.
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    I cook mine semi frozen with onion and garlic powder. Sometimes I'll use a marinade, but watch out the marinades can get high in calories.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    My mum rarely grills the chicken, she tends to use the oven, at around 140 for about 30 minutes I think and my mum sprinkles on some herbs, it tastes amazing!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Poach it for about 20 minutes in simmering water - you can add herbs or some stock, or a dash of wine if you like. But it will be moist and tender.

If I were using the George Formby grill, I'd marinate the chicken in something first.
  • Cut the chicken into strips that are 2cms thick. It will cook quicker and it's easier to check if it's cooked all the way through just by poking with the end of a knife and twisting sideways. Should take 4-5 mins at most this way.
    You'll get better with time.

I like to roll mine with some herbs in the middle, wrap in in cling film like a bon bon and poach it in simmering water. Ballentine I think it's called. Yummeh.
  • JozefTorba
    JozefTorba Posts: 17 Member
    Or try to marinate it with little bit of olive oil lemon or lime juice and what ever seasoning you like... Leave it in the fridge for at least 12 hours and when cooked on george foreman for about 8 minutes chicken comes out nice and juicy or try to brine it that what keeps the bird moist.
  • SimonIsChanging
    SimonIsChanging Posts: 91 Member
    As somebody that eats chicken breast 2-3 times per day i always cook mine on the Foreman Grill for around 10 minutes. My Grill is a 10 portion Grill, Huge, so i'm not sure if it would make a difference in cooking time compared to a smaller Grill. I used to steam mine before i got the Grill and prefer it steamed but the Grill is more practical for me as i Grill them in batches.
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    rosemary and garlic are good.if you score the chicken and rub that lot in it will taste great., if you are worried about under cooking make sure your just nip the chicken with a knife and if its pink and fleshy you should cook longer. over do it....well ya know that bit lol
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Buy some disposable baking bags (clear ovenproof bags with ties) and put your chicken in there with herbs/spices/seasonings and even pop your veggies in there too.

Cook on 200 degrees celcius for about 20-25 mins.

I do a lot of cooking and this is the most moist, flavoursome cooking method I have found. Plus- you can just dispose of the mess!!
  • Hudderstub
    Hudderstub Posts: 11 Member
    Adding some pesto or coating in dukkah adds a real flavour. Or stuff with cream or goats cheese if you are doing low carb.
  • thrudhammer
    thrudhammer Posts: 19 Member
    The thermometer will work but isn't going to produce as consistent a result as a timer will and requires standing over the grill repeatedly checking every time you cook. You might try this, instead:

Cook the chicken the way you normally do. Keep track of how long you leave it on the grill. Depending upon how cold the chicken is, how much chicken you're cooking and how hot the grill is, it should take about 5 minutes, more or less.

If the results are too dry, repeat the process but set the timer for one minute less. If it was undercooked, set the timer for one minute more. Try to reproduce the recipe exactly - same number of chicken breasts, same amount of warmup time, etc.

Check the results again and adjust accordingly.

It may take a couple of tries to zero in on an appropriate time.
  • salt, pepper the chicken then roll in ground almonds. Place on baking paper with asparagus and sweet potato ( or anything you desire) salt and pepper then spray with olive oil. Bake for 20 min on 350. YUM!
  • Marinate the chicken breast about 3 hours prior to cooking it in a plastic bag with Mojo (Lime Juice, Oregano, Salt, Garlic, Black Pepper, Onions, Olive Oil) You can buy it in a bottle or you can make it yourself. Just look up "Cuban Mojo Recipe". Then when you're ready to cook it put it on the grill. I usually pan "fry" my chicken breast in a non stick pan with maybe 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil. But if you want to eliminate as much fat as possible just stick with the grill. Good luck! I hope this helped.