Having a hard time with my proteins, please help.

I am aloud 48 in my protein section. But I am finding it extremely hard to find low protein foods that are also low in fat and low calorie count? And I don't want to be starving all the time.

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    I recommend looking into "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. This way of eating is exactly what you are describing that you want. And you certainly will not be starving all the time. This way of eating has gotten rid of my toxic hunger cravings, I no longer count calories, eat until I'm satisfied, and am losing about 3 lbs/week. It's absolutely amazing!
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    eat up protein! It's good for you and keeps you satisfied longer!
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    48 is pretty low. I have the opposite problem, I have the hardest time finding enough! Maybe you should ask your doctor next time you are in how much you should be getting. I was told by a medical professional to try and it 70-90 a day!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Don't try to stay under on your protein. MFP low-balls protein. The way to figure up how much protein you need is: divide your weight by 2, the number you come up with should be your base protein amount. If you weigh 200, try for 100g of protein daily. Protein is good. Fiber is also good. Protein and fiber are your friends :smile: Best of luck to you!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Why would you want low protein? I aim for at least half my weight in grams of protein a day, preferably more. I have my macros custom set at 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat, which puts me at a goal of 135g of protein per day. I don't always hit it, but do aim to land between 70 & 100g per day.

A lot of people say that MFP sets the protein goal too low, so don't worry if you're going over on that number each day!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Ironically, I have a different problem; I always have a LOT of protein and love it! If you're a meat eater, go for chicken or pork or even lean cuts of steak.

There's also greek yogurt.

I'm eating at least 60-70 a day, but most of the time there's more.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Beans are a great source of protein! I second the Dr. Fuhrman method also!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Yes, why are you only going for 48 a day?? I aim for at least 120. Unless you have to have a low protein intake due to medical reasons, I'd change the MFP settings if I were you.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    I am aloud 48 in my protein section. But I am finding it extremely hard to find low protein foods that are also low in fat and low calorie count? And I don't want to be starving all the time.
    Wait you want low protein, low calorie? May I suggest water. J/k. I thought this was a post on getting more protein :noway:
  • wedge421
    wedge421 Posts: 224 Member
    I agree with everyone else. Protein is good! Helps to build muscle while exercising and keeps hunger at bay
  • live_your_dreams
    live_your_dreams Posts: 13 Member
    It is low, but I found that depending on your age and height anywhere from 40-70 when loosing weight is a healthy number.
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Protein and carbohydrates are the leanest sources of calories. Of those, I find that protein keeps me fuller longer. I would readjust the settings to be 40/40 cabs and protein or something similar.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    You want to eat more grams of protein than that! I have been trying to get 100!
  • live_your_dreams
    live_your_dreams Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for your help. I really want to loose weight so I've been trying to follow everything. Maybe I should just focus on calories
  • Yosemite4vr
    Yosemite4vr Posts: 84 Member
    I almost always have too much protein - take a look at my diary or add me if you like.

Think: Fish, Quinoa, Greek Yogurt (0% zero sugar - with fruit), protein powder, lean ground beef, eggs, lean ground turkey, chicken breast (although I like chicken thigh better), white fish, shrimp, kale (a lot of protein for a veggie)... I could go on and on :)
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    meats-fish-nuts cottage cheese-greek yogurt yummy
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Please, modify your goals and up your protein, and healthy fat is great too! These things will help you feel better, fuller, and more energetic. MFP auto settings are ridiculously low, imo, when it comes to fat and protein and ridiculously high for carbs. Some people will disagree with me, but not about increasing your protein!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Thanks for your help. I really want to loose weight so I've been trying to follow everything. Maybe I should just focus on calories

No I wouldn't just focus on calories, you need to keep an eye on your protein but mean by trying to keep it up! about 80 - 100g would be good.

Keep your saturated fats low, protein and fibre up. Lower processed carbs depending on what works for you personally ( I have to lower carbs because of pcos)

Take this advice with a pinch of salt though, every one is different some do not need to worry about the type of calories you eat, but for general health and better weight loss I believe it is important.

Hope you find what works for you!
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Protein helps build muscle and muscle then helps your body burn more calories. I wouldn't focus as much on the "losing weight" (muscle weighs more than fat) but eating lean meats (chicken, turkey, ground beef) and veggies/fruits.

I agree with everyone else.. limiting protein intake means that you are going to add more of something else (chances are higher calorie/not so great) so that you meet your calorie goals. MFP is great if you are strictly focused on numbers but it doesn't mean that just because you hit/under your protein/fat/etc limit that you are making the healthiest of choices to fuel your body.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Forty-eight is low! Eat your protein! I try to get at least 90g per day and sometimes I go up to about 116g. I supplement my protein with hemp protein powder to make sure I get enough.