EATING AT NIGHT

HI THERE,... IM TRYING DESPRATELY TO LOSE 60 POUNDS.. I DO GREAT WHILE AT WORK AND DONT CONSUME ALOT OF CALORIES I GO TO THE GYM AFTER WORK AND BURN 400 CALORIES OR SO. HOWEVER AS SOON AS I GET HOME I BINGE EAT AT NIGHT. AND I SWEAR SOMETHING TAKES OVER MY MIND AND I FEEL GUILTY AFTER DOING IT. ANY ADVICE ON HOW NOT TO DO THIS???

Replies

• HI THERE,... IM TRYING DESPRATELY TO LOSE 60 POUNDS.. I DO GREAT WHILE AT WORK AND DONT CONSUME ALOT OF CALORIES I GO TO THE GYM AFTER WORK AND BURN 400 CALORIES OR SO. HOWEVER AS SOON AS I GET HOME I BINGE EAT AT NIGHT. AND I SWEAR SOMETHING TAKES OVER MY MIND AND I FEEL GUILTY AFTER DOING IT. ANY ADVICE ON HOW NOT TO DO THIS???
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Try eating somethin healthy like Celery, carrot sticks, fruit, etc. And don't forget drink lots of water, that will help to take away some of the cravings. :glasses:

Also, my trainer says you need to eat something within 90 minutes after your workout.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Mkae sure that you're spacing your calories over your day, and for me I need protein spaced during the day.

Also, a light snack before your workout should help to quell the crazy hunger afterwards.
  • Try to figure out why you binge eat. I read somewhere that binging is actually "eating" an emotion. I used to start with a full bag of tortilla chips and a half-hour later I was still munching away - until I started asking myself "what" I was eating. Usually it was boredom, or anger, or being overtired. So now I don't even bring that kind of stuff home from the grocery store. It's the high GI carbs that I have to watch out for: chips, bagels, cookies. The more I ate, the more I wanted.
    So if you feel a binge coming on, stay out of the kitchen except to fill your water glass. And then give yourself five minutes to think about what has upset you before you reach for the chips.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Are you hungry when you get home, or are you just eating? Drink alot of water at the gym, and try chewing gum if you are wanting sweets. If you drink alot it will help fill you. It takes time to break the habits, but you can do it. when you come home, jump on the computer and read the posts here. Maybe that will help keep your mind off the food.
    Good luck, and think positive. You can do it.
  • I got tired of trying to resrict myself about the eating at night thing (at night is the only time that I really feel like eating). Now, I just eat if I'm hungry. I just make sure that I only eat raw veggies of some sort (as much as I want until my belleh is nice and full) and a cup of herbal tea. It helps a lot and it can't be bad since I've lost 14lbs. since Sept. 17th.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    HI THERE,... IM TRYING DESPRATELY TO LOSE 60 POUNDS.. I DO GREAT WHILE AT WORK AND DONT CONSUME ALOT OF CALORIES I GO TO THE GYM AFTER WORK AND BURN 400 CALORIES OR SO. HOWEVER AS SOON AS I GET HOME I BINGE EAT AT NIGHT. AND I SWEAR SOMETHING TAKES OVER MY MIND AND I FEEL GUILTY AFTER DOING IT. ANY ADVICE ON HOW NOT TO DO THIS???

I eat at night also and has not stopped me from loosing weight BUT, you have to control yourself.
    Have a pudding cup, yogurt or a fruit.
    I like grapes... very filling and very very low in cals(20 grapes = 32 calories).
    Or even have a bowl of cereal (Special K Red Berries or Chocolatey Delight) w/ skim milk.

~Joanna
  • Get a copy of Feed the Muscle Burn the Fat book by Venuto. There is an add link on this site. It will really help you understand your diet better and also has very good info on how to work out properly for fat loss vs muscle loss. I suggest that you get some quick high GI carbs (small gatorade or fruit juice) immediately (keep it in your gym bag) after your work out and then follow with a low cal protein shake. That satisfies your bodies immediate needs for nutrition and will go a long way to controlling binges. Also make sure you are eating enough! I just went through that myself by accidentally forcing myself into a starvation mode. Once I started eating more of the things I need I started losing fat again, ya gotta love that. Also balance your daily diet by getting in most of your carbs early and taper them off to no high GI carbs at night. Something like a chicken breast and salad once you get home will work. Make sure you eat enough while staying within your calorie goals. A high protein and fiber meal like that takes a lot longer to digest than a simple carb meal. If you still want to binge after that then eat more chicken or try a casein protein shake. This is the slow digesting kind and is really thick. I use 100% casein with 8 oz skim milk, this is like a thick milk shake totals about 180 cal and 35g protein. I am sure you could make pudding with this stuff because it you don't add enough liquid it makes a paste. One other thing to research is 5-HTP or trytophan. This is a natural protein that is said to stabilize mood and help you sleep. A google search will provide lots of info on that so you can decide if it something worth trying.
    These things work for me. The book i suggested really is a great resource and is not just his ideas. It is based on a lot of nutrition science. It is not a miracle "plan". It is education for life that applied with dedication will allow you to be successful. Good luck