when to start the toning

Okay so I have only lost 3lbs which I am happy to be the slow and steady kinda gal. I do almost always just cardio because I so badly want to lose 40 - 50 lbs. Given my age its now or never for me. I am curious to know what toning exercises people use and when to start? New to this and want to do it right. Any advice would be helpful.:smile:

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Start now. Get a trainer (best bet) or google some comprehensive workouts. Don't worry about 'bulking' up, 99% of women don't have the natural capacity to do that. Don't shy away from heavy weights or dynamic lifts when you're ready.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Start now. Get a trainer (best bet) or google some comprehensive workouts. Don't worry about 'bulking' up, 99% of women don't have the natural capacity to do that. Don't shy away from heavy weights or dynamic lifts when you're ready.

^^^^
    Yes, what he said. A mixture of cardio and strength training is ideal.
  • vickyd205
    vickyd205 Posts: 29 Member
    Start now with a mixture of cardio and strength training...it makes a huge difference in how your body looks at you lose (not to mention that by adding muscle your body will burn more calories which will help with your weight loss).
  • 1jlazymom
    1jlazymom Posts: 197 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions I definitely have to start now
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Immediately.
  • I have around another 50lb to lose and i have always done strength exercises as well as lots of cardio. I have noticed a huge change in my body and how my clothes fit. So i have kept it up. So start now
  • jd1968
    jd1968 Posts: 5 Member
    start as soon as possible it can make a differance in how your body will look and how much better the clothes will fit,and look on you
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    not toning - toning is a wording trick that's as outdated as 70s leotard aerobics for women - if you want to tighten up, strengthen and sleek up your body- then you need to do real strength training, like... actually lifting weights and starting with the ones that weight more than a gallon of milk.

You can stick to cardio
    or the little pink and purple weights
    and only affect your total gravitational pull and be smaller and wear cuter clothes
    but those things wont change how you look naked

lifting will

and before you ask if it will bulk you up- please, for the love of all things healthy, google your answers to that first, or you will get ripped to shreds on the forums here.

lifting heavy physically cannot make You bulk up.
  • yoovie
    Immediately.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I do your standard calisthenics in addition to cardio: jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. And I do left lifts and such for toning.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    not toning - toning is a wording trick that's as outdated as 70s leotard aerobics for women

You aren't from the 70s, are you? :tongue:

To me, the word still has meaning, and I use it. I do try to differentiate between recording a video and taping something. You can't hardly find tape anymore for recording purposes. :laugh:
  • yoovie
    not toning - toning is a wording trick that's as outdated as 70s leotard aerobics for women

To me, the word still has meaning, and I use it. I do try to differentiate between recording a video and taping something. You can't hardly find tape anymore for recording purposes. :laugh:

uh yes I am from the seventies but i dont see how this negates what Im saying.

and toning presents the idea that you can do things to your muscle that people once thought you could do and now understand that you cant. lengthening, toning, all these things cant happen to your muscles. What you can do - is take the time to research how your muscles were designed, what happens to them when you work them certain ways, how it affects your metabolism for the rest of the day, how it affects you as a girl, what to expect, what to work for, how big to start, how it will improve your bones and your connective tissue and give you a lean strong body - etc IF you care enough to take more than just the word of strangers on the internet, most of whom are still working toward goals theyve never seen the other side of.
  • johnpangan
    johnpangan Posts: 47 Member
    Keep it simple. Sound nutrition, be consistent with your workout and keep yourself motivated. Make it a lifestyle. Don't worry about getting tone or the # on the scale. You will reach your goal.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member

and toning presents the idea that you can do things to your muscle that people once thought you could do and now understand that you cant. lengthening, toning, all these things cant happen to your muscles. What you can do - is take the time to research how your muscles were designed, what happens to them when you work them certain ways, how it affects your metabolism for the rest of the day, how it affects you as a girl, what to expect, what to work for, how big to start, how it will improve your bones and your connective tissue and give you a lean strong body - etc IF you care enough to take more than just the word of strangers on the internet, most of whom are still working toward goals theyve never seen the other side of.
    I have many minors, one of which is Biomechanics, and it absolutely makes my brain hurt when I hear a woman say the word "tone" in that reference.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Yesterday! Looks like you have a baby so even free YouTube videos on the Be Fit page. You can find Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. If you have a computer or laptop in an area you can work out, you can do it!

Do anything to start, then worry about perfecting it with trainer, gym, etc. So much info out there on the internet to help guide you and postings here, of course, too!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    I agree to do both now, you will find as you lose the weight you will be more toned as you go and fit clothes alot better....
    Sometimes I still tell myself that it was the strength training (toning) that helped me fit into some crazy sizes :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    immediately!
  • PotionStone13876
    PotionStone13876 Posts: 2 Member
    Amazing progress! Congratulations on loosing 150lbs:) at vickyd:smile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member

^^^^This exactly!! Start now!
    squats
    lunges
    bench press
    overhead press
    dead lifts
    rows
    pushups

'New rules of lifting for women' is an informative and excellent read...you might want to pick it up. The used copies on Amazon aren't that expensive.
  • yoovie

I have many minors, one of which is Biomechanics, and it absolutely makes my brain hurt when I hear a woman say the word "tone" in that reference.

I dont have those minors, and it still makes me hurt.