High Heels

Hey everyone
i have a question.
Mainly just curiosity.
i was wondering how many calories do you burn walking in high heels?
is there any difference than walking in regular shoes?

Replies

• I'm hoping for someone to post some great big number so I can justify wearing my heels everyday! :heart:
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    haha yeh mee too!!
    Im thinking it does since everytime i walk in them for a period of time it feels like my leg muslcles are getting a workout.
    but im not sure if and how much..hmmm...:tongue:
  • I don't really care how many calories they burn, I'll keep wearing mine just 'cause they make my ankles look thinner!
  • Surely, if those new shoes that supposedly you can walk and be fit in, our heels are doing something for us! :laugh:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    The only way you could really tell is to wear a heart rate monitor with flats and then with heels and see if there is a difference. Somehow I doubt it.
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    I'm hoping for someone to post some great big number so I can justify wearing my heels everyday! :heart:

DITTO :laugh:
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    The only way you could really tell is to wear a heart rate monitor with flats and then with heels and see if there is a difference. Somehow I doubt it.

buzz kill!!!
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    I don't think you'd lose more calories.

You might tone your butt and legs while wearing them though.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Well my heart monitor would tell me I burned more while wearing heels because my heart rate would elevate each time I fall, and the energy I would expend trying to get myself back up.
  • [/quote]
    Well my heart monitor would tell me I burned more while wearing heels because my heart rate would elevate each time I fall, and the energy I would expend trying to get myself back up.
    [/quote]

:laugh:

I'm still waiting on that someone who's going to give us good news!!! Are you there?!
  • Personally, I find walking in heels more difficult than flats. It's the balance. I stand up straighter, and engage my core muscles to try and keep my balance. You can tell I've thought about this :D
    I always a greater difficulty = more calories burned. Don't think it would be many though.
  • Personally, I find walking in heels more difficult than flats. It's the balance. I stand up straighter, and engage my core muscles to try and keep my balance. You can tell I've thought about this :D
    I always a greater difficulty = more calories burned. Don't think it would be many though.

My thoughts exactly! :wink:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    I don't think you'd lose more calories.

You might tone your butt and legs while wearing them though.

No more burned but toned legs and Butt? I'll take it! :laugh:
    Good topic!:bigsmile:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    I can't imagine wearing heels would make a difference, at least the women I see wearing heels tend to walk slower trying to find their balance. I tend to wear wide heels so that I can walk faster and have better balance. There is also a balancing aspect that I find strengthens my back. From what I have read about walking in heels, one must also move the hips to maintain the right balance to avoid wobbling in heels. With all of that, it might make a difference, but I don't know if there is any particular study that has proven otherwise.

I know this might be a little off topic, but I see far too many women who don't know how to walk in heels and I can only imagine what it must do to their body and feet over time. There is a correct and incorrect way to walk in heels. My mother showed me the first time I walked in heels. Back straight, head up, hips in motion to get balance and a heel then toe when placing your foot on the ground.
  • Liddie
    Liddie Posts: 1
    Well, I cant quantify it, but according to my new Pole Fitness instructor, your calves, thighs, and butt receives a significantly increased work out while wearing heels versus flats. I certainly can tell from the burn in my legs when i have them on while doing my workout....love the burn:happy:
  • Walking in heels makes the balls of my feet burn..............not nice
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Okay... it's been some time since anyone has posted to this but coming across this thread I have to ask. Did anyone use the HRM? Is there a caloric burn difference between heels / flats? I'm truly curious about this. Thank you!:bigsmile:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    You would burn the same amount of calories per mile, whether you were walking in bare feet, trainers, flat shoes or high heels.

High heels can be detrimental to the calf muscles if walked in all the time, this is because the higher the heel, the shorter the muscle becomes at the back of the calf.

If you were to wear high heels all the time for weeks and weeks and then suddenly stick on your trainers and try to run in them or sprint, you may (and I stipulate the word "may") injure your calf as you are suddenly stretching it due to wearing flat footwear.

Wearing high heels is fine, just make sure you either go bare feet or wear flat shoes or trainers or sandals some of the time, ie indoors.

Nothing worse than pulled muscles or even worse, achilles tendon problems, because if you get tendon troubles, the word "problem" really starts to live up to its name.
  • Bump! It's clearly been some time since someone has posted to this thread but as the OP was, I am also curious. I am saving up for an HRM, but I want a good one and am sure I'd end up paying a lot of money for it so it will be a while.

I've been wearing heels, of course inter-changing with flats since I also run in the morning, and the heels make me feel good about myself. I do understand that wearing heels would "shorten" your calf muscle making it more prone to injury if you were to exercise inconsistently while always wearing only heels. But the debate still stands. Since essentially you are using different muscles while wearing heels, would more/less calories be burned in the time you wear the heels (if you're consistently walking in them of course)?