124»

Replies

• smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Bump
  • bump
  • gc2951
    gc2951 Posts: 30
    There are five of us (one being a teenage boy) and we eat on less than $500 per month. I make out a list of meals that the children will eat and then make my list from there. I do my major shopping once a month-no soda- and junk food is limited to 1 pkg of chips or pretzels each plus we share 2 pkg of cookies. We do eat a lot of cheese and beans and rice. I also make breakfast bars which are a lot cheaper than buying premade ones. I check out the discount fruit and vegetables and the end of date meat section. Then I divide up the meat into what we will use at one meal and freeze it or use it. You can make your own cheeseburger macaroni with less than half a pound of ground meat, half a pound of 2% Velveeta, half cup of milk, and half cup of extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese. Bring water to a boil, add macaroni (I use whole wheat) and crumble in raw ground beef (I use ground chuck or round). Boil until the noodles are done and drain. Immediately put milk and cheeses into the hot pan and return the beef-noodle mix to it. Stir until everything is coated. If you like catsup on your hamburger, stir in a tablespoon or two. This makes enough to feed 6 people but you can cut the recipe in half.
  • bump
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    bump
  • MissSaraMarie
    MissSaraMarie Posts: 6 Member
    bump for later!
  • jragsd
    jragsd Posts: 23
    bump
  • jmoney34
    jmoney34 Posts: 61 Member
    I found shopping at ALDI a lifesaver during the economic downfall of the past years. I could all of a sudden buy fresh vegetables and fruit...eggs..oatmeal..at a fraction of the major super market prices. My husband and I ate well and healthy on $40 a week. Please see if there is one in your area.

We still shop there..and always will no matter how much things improve financially..it just makes sense to save the money if you can.

I'm a HUGE Aldi advocate as well, especially for produce. It's way cheaper than walmart or any grocery store.