Question for women only! (Menstrual cycle)

Okay so ive been on my journey to weight loss since March. Since I began to exercise my period becane lighter but im pretty sure thats normal and common. My problem is that last month i just spotted for one day and thats it! Im one of those unlucky girls who has their period for a full 7 days so this really shocked me! Can someone give me any advice on what nmight be the issue? Diet or overtraining??

Replies

• JessFehr
    JessFehr Posts: 27
    I don't think you have anything to really worry about. I went to the Women's Clinic a few months ago because I was worried about how I was suddenly not getting my period monthly. The Doctor said that is quite normal for most women. I went 3 months without getting my period and had my fingers crossed hoping I was pregnant, but wasn't . :( Now I get my period every other month, weird since I used to get it faithfully every month.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Okay that makes me feel better, thanks!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    I'm not stating this is what's happening but you'd want to be mindful of it - If you are assuming a steep deficit through calorie restriction and exercise, you could be crossing the threshold of energy availability as mentioned in this research article:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full
  • Make sure you aren't anemic :o)

The only times I've skipped was knocked up & when I was iron deficient. I had chronic anemia for years. Now I make sure I eat enough iron and take my multivitamin.

Anemia will make your hair fall out
    Rapid pulse / racing heart rate
    Tiredness & Aching
    Shortness of Breath
    Vision problems

Hope it isn't but if you have those symptoms I'd do a blood test.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    This happened to me and I was told it was because my body was in starvation mode (too few calories).

I increased my cals. by 150 and everything went back to normal.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I noticed last month (when I began using MFP) all of my normal PMS symptoms were absent. No breast tenderness, no cramps or back pain. I had no warning before my period started. This month, not only have I not had any PMS symptoms, but I am actually late. I should have started days ago but I haven't had any signs that I'm going to start, except I'm noticing some very, very minimal discharge.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Keep in mind your natural cycle changes with age and BC usage. Some women have a normal 28 day cycle with or without BC their entire lives, others may have completely irregular cycles. Some get more regular with time, some get longer with time. I have a friend who's body operated on a roughly 40 day cycle when she went off BC and was trying to get pregnant. took a boat load of pregnancy tests before she/her dr figured out what was going on.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Sometimes as you lose weight your period does change. Mine has changed atleast 3 times.You may wanna get checked out just to make sure.
  • jilli814
    jilli814 Posts: 33 Member
    very informative!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    I took a look at your diary and you are only eating on average 1000 calories a day. This is too low to maintain your health. Your period will not return until you come up to a more adequate calorie level.

Starvation is not a good way to loose weight since it has long term health consequences. The loss of a period is only the first of many that can happen. Organ damage can be for the rest of your life.
    You need to be eating at 20% less than your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure.

If you are logging all of your food then you are eating less than the required daily calories for a 6 year old!

Eat more! and Cut back on your exercise!
  • my period played tricks on me too..after 2 months of dieting and woking out..in july i got my regular period always on time,5- 7 days..after that was done 2 weeks later it came AGAIN this time lated over 2 weeks...then this month i got it a week late,alot of people had told me it was because my body is changing so its likley that my cycle will change..but i went to obgyn for check up told him what had happen he said that could be it,,but wants to do a sono next week just to be sure it wasnt anything else.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    I took a look at your diary and you are only eating on average 1000 calories a day. This is too low to maintain your health. Your period will not return until you come up to a more adequate calorie level.

Starvation is not a good way to loose weight since it has long term health consequences. The loss of a period is only the first of many that can happen. Organ damage can be for the rest of your life.
    You need to be eating at 20% less than your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure.

If you are logging all of your food then you are eating less than the required daily calories for a 6 year old!

Eat more! and Cut back on your exercise!

I checked out your diary too...you are not eating near enough for someone who is exercising. At least 1200 is what is suggested and even that is too low (according to my Doctor) esp. on days you exercise.

Up your calorie intake to about 1300-1400 and your body will thank you for it.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    my period played tricks on me too..after 2 months of dieting and woking out..in july i got my regular period always on time,5- 7 days..after that was done 2 weeks later it came AGAIN this time lated over 2 weeks...then this month i got it a week late,alot of people had told me it was because my body is changing so its likley that my cycle will change..but i went to obgyn for check up told him what had happen he said that could be it,,but wants to do a sono next week just to be sure it wasnt anything else.
    I had that happen as well and it turned out be an ovarian cyst that had burst. That's pretty common though, and not really much to worry about.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Thanks ladies this information is very useful. I eat fish quite alot so im sure its not iron deficiency. I snack alot during the day on fruits and veggies that I dont log on mfp so I usually hit my 1600cal mark.
  • CowgirlKimi
    CowgirlKimi Posts: 107 Member
    Is it possible that you are in a state of ketosis? Are you seldom hungry? Does your breath naturally have a berry like smell to it? Do you have increased energy?

When I am in ketosis... I notice the same thing, I read on it, and apparently, this is a common thing.

Just something to consider, friend!

But hey, I am of the school of... if you aren't sure... maybe its time to call the nurse or doc for some help!

Be safe and Be BLESSED!!!!!!!!!!

Kimi
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Sometimes as you lose weight your period does change. Mine has changed atleast 3 times.You may wanna get checked out just to make sure.

^^This.

You may want to get it checked out to just to be sure. We are supposed to have a certain amount of body fat and issues like this could mean you're eating too little/exercising too much and entering starvation mode and overly stressing your body. OR your body may just be confused and need time to figure things out. I would go to a doctor and make sure to tell them everything about your diet and exercise. They'll let you know if it's safe to proceed as you've been doing.