Teacher support Group

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Wow, a little down time and we become chatty cathys. I talked earlier about my district going to a standardized curriculum. Well low and behold, the winter scores came back really low, our curriculum director was demoted the Monday after we got out of school.

yes Virginia there is a santa clause!

It will be interesting to see what happens when we get back to school next week.

As for afternoon snacks, I keep a protein bar or make a protein shake to have about 3:00, that usually holds me until I eat supper around 6:30.
  • smantz
    smantz Posts: 3
    All I can say is 99% FF Popcorn is the best snack ever. You can eat a ton for not many calories. My favorite kind of snack!
  • megstar8686
    megstar8686 Posts: 22 Member
    :happy: hehe Teacher Support Group :happy: i :heart: this idea...

I'm about to begin my very first year of teaching... Sh*tting myself to be quite honest. And when I get stressed I reach straight for the block of chocolate... so I'm thinking this group is going to be good for me, coz you all know how I'll be feeling!

Any first day of school tips??

Megs :smile:
  • LifesPilgrim
    Take a deep breath and always remember your the adult in the room :laugh:

Actually the best advice I was ever given was to treat the students the way you would want you onw chilcren to be treated, and have the same expectations from them you would have for your own children. It hasn't led me wrong yet!

Good luck, and use all the resources you possibly can.
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Ah, the first day of teaching. Soooo long ago! Be confident (like I am sure you are!) and greet them all at the door each morning. :happy: Know that your colleagues are always good resources. Constantly reevaluate. Stay calm and know that no matter what happens, we all make mistakes. Don't be too hard on yourself (although no one ever takes this advice). :flowerforyou: Good luck and have fun!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: SNOW DAY TODAY WOOO HOOO :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Take a deep breath and always remember your the adult in the room :laugh:

Actually the best advice I was ever given was to treat the students the way you would want you onw chilcren to be treated, and have the same expectations from them you would have for your own children. It hasn't led me wrong yet!

Good luck, and use all the resources you possibly can.

This is great advice. And always ask your coworkers. Chances are many of them have been through a similar situation & can be of help - whether it's school specific or kid related or just looking for reassurance.
    :bigsmile:
    Oh - and have fun!
    :bigsmile:
  • Georg
    I had the best conversation with a 2nd grader who is learning English today:
    him-"Teacher, how much money do they get at the school?"
    me-"What do you mean? Who?"
    him-"How much money for the school people?"
    me-"Do you mean for working at the school?"
    him-"Yes."
    me-"It depends on what you do when you work at the school, but sometimes they give you THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR WORKING HERE!"
    :love:
    him-"WOW, Teacher! I can't wait to be a teacher, too!"
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bluenote
    How cute!
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    I had the best conversation with a 2nd grader who is learning English today:
    him-"Teacher, how much money do they get at the school?"
    me-"What do you mean? Who?"
    him-"How much money for the school people?"
    me-"Do you mean for working at the school?"
    him-"Yes."
    me-"It depends on what you do when you work at the school, but sometimes they give you THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR WORKING HERE!"
    :love:
    him-"WOW, Teacher! I can't wait to be a teacher, too!"
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's moments like those that keep me teaching!!!! :)
  • LifesPilgrim
    Thank you for sharing. That really made my day today!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hi, I'm new to this thread. I teach in the UK and I teach Receprtion/Year 1 (5-6yearsold in their 2nd year of school).
    We've just had some 'snow days' - and there is h*ll to pay, LOL. Some parents in our Education Authority have started a petition to get schools to NOT close for half term holiday (5 days in february) to make the time up.
    The daft thing is - this is the first time school has closed for snow in the last 11 years - we just don't get the weather! :D

Some people need to get a life :D
  • phoebe2488
    phoebe2488 Posts: 106 Member
    I am a middle school special ed teacher and hate the days when there are "goodies" in the lounge. I am not going to be a victim to them anymore! LOL I am hoping to lose the weight I have put on over the last 9 years! I am ready to be healthy and keep this going. I love tracking my calories so much better than I ever enjoyed Weight Watchers (I would always get so frustrated). My husband and I are both using the app for our Ipods and hoping to peel off the weight together. I think teachers can always use the support! It is stressful being a teacher! Good luck to everyone!!!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Hi, I'm new to this thread. I teach in the UK and I teach Receprtion/Year 1 (5-6yearsold in their 2nd year of school).
    We've just had some 'snow days' - and there is h*ll to pay, LOL. Some parents in our Education Authority have started a petition to get schools to NOT close for half term holiday (5 days in february) to make the time up.
    The daft thing is - this is the first time school has closed for snow in the last 11 years - we just don't get the weather! :D

Some people need to get a life :D

Wow, 5 days off in February. I am SOOO jealous! We don't get our break until the end of March:cry:

Being from Kansas, USA, we have snow days built into our calendar every year. We are hoping to NOT use any so that we can get out of school for summer break a week early:laugh: So far our district has missed the bad stuff (knocking on wood).

Phoebe, I am right there with you on the treats! Tomorrow is going to be rough. We have in-service and we're having a pot luck lunch. *sigh* The district is providing chili, and we're all supposed to bring something to go with it. What gets me is that we just started a district wide biggest loser challenge. When I asked if nutrition info was going to be provided for the chili (only half kidding), they all just laughed like it was a good joke. My contribution to the meal is a veggie tray. That way, if anything is left over, at least I know it will get eaten at home!:laugh:
  • I love half term, you really need it and the kids are on their knees, esp the long push from September to Christmas. We get 6 weeks in the Summer, but after a week, it's as though you've never been away......
  • bluenote
    I would LOVE a half term holiday! Jealous! :tongue:
    I am in St. Louis, MO, USA, and we get a week at the end of March. Looking forward to it already! LOL
  • Georg
    :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
    I made it through my eval today!
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • smithiekat
    smithiekat Posts: 112 Member
    Hey all

I've been in and out of MFP for a while, but am currently getting my master of arts in teaching and my student teaching begins tomorrow and runs through april! i'll be teaching high school biology and physical science, though i'm a physicist by trade.

I'll pop in with what free time I have (not much!). Just wanted to say hi to the teachers on MFP!
  • bluenote
    :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:
    I made it through my eval today!
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

woohoooo Georg!!! Congrats!!! :flowerforyou:
  • aam_84
    aam_84 Posts: 46
    I want to know if anyone has done the 30 day shred and if they know how many calories are burned during this workout. I have just started level 2 and would like to enter it in my exercise log but not sure what to put it as;)
    Please help.
  • I am not technically a teacher but I am a paraeducator! Does this qualify? I would love to join!