50 Shades??

Replies

• mdelappe
    mdelappe Posts: 36 Member
    THANK YOU! for what you said about the crappy writing. I don't even pay attention to the writing if the story is good!
  • ntarrence
    ntarrence Posts: 21 Member
    I AGREE, cant wait till October when the next Bared to You comes out. I am in IN WITHDRAWEL from 50 shades big time. Office discussion now is our pick for the actors in the movie. I vote Henry Cavill.
  • sharonlouiset
    sharonlouiset Posts: 85 Member
    I'm nearly half way through the third now I really enjoyed the first two but think the third one is better.
  • mdelappe
    mdelappe Posts: 36 Member
    I enjoyed it. You'll find a lot of people who complain about the writing, but E L James doesn't claim to be a writer. I liked the story and it opened my eyes to a lot of stuff. My husband is VERY happy....hahaha!

If you want a good follow-up, read Bared to You by Sylvia James. I honestly can't decide between Christian Grey and Gideon Cross. YUM!

O.K. just downloaded the Bared to You! Can't wait to start reading! I did love 50 shades no matter the writing!
  • ValTheRizzle
    ValTheRizzle Posts: 28 Member
    I hated it. It's reinforces tired stereotypes that women can change men into someone else. It glorifies abusive relationships. And it reads like it was written by a poorly educated teenager. And to me anyway, it was not sexy in the least. I am sorry to everyone who read it and loved it, but it was a huge waste of my time.
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    just started book 1!!! It's getting steamy!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    I read all 3 last weekend. I really didn't think I was gonna like them not really my kind of book but I fell in love with the characters. I don't think like others that she tried to change him he chose to change because he loved her. Also I think there is a difference between abuse & a consentual relationship between adults that they choose to engage in. Thats why that type of stuff is intended for behind closed doors to each their own certainly wouldn't be my thing.
  • sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    I AGREE, cant wait till October when the next Bared to You comes out. I am in IN WITHDRAWEL from 50 shades big time. Office discussion now is our pick for the actors in the movie. I vote Henry Cavill.

Did you read the first chapter of Reflected in You that Sylvia Day posted on Good Reads yesterday? SO GOOD!
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Just got them in the mail yesterday. Will be starting reading them this evening.
  • katkrak
    katkrak Posts: 92
    I'm on the 2nd book! My sis convinced me to read them-she let me borrow them ;)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    I read all 3 of them in about a week and got everybody around the office reading them. The best thing to happen to my sex life in a long, long time.

^^^THIS^^^

My hubby tells me it's the best $$$ I ever spent on books :smooched:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I've read the 1st book and just got #2 from the library. To be completely honest, I've read much sexier books and S&M isn't my thing so they haven't exactly gotten me all hot and bothered... I'm not much of a book snob so the writing didn't bother me too much but I wasn't sure I'd want to get book 2. BUT the way book 1 ended, I just HAD to find out how it was going to continue! :) I'm a sucker for a cliffhanger!
  • I hated it. It's reinforces tired stereotypes that women can change men into someone else. It glorifies abusive relationships. And it reads like it was written by a poorly educated teenager. And to me anyway, it was not sexy in the least. I am sorry to everyone who read it and loved it, but it was a huge waste of my time.

^that
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    I hated it. It's reinforces tired stereotypes that women can change men into someone else. It glorifies abusive relationships. And it reads like it was written by a poorly educated teenager. And to me anyway, it was not sexy in the least. I am sorry to everyone who read it and loved it, but it was a huge waste of my time.

THANK YOU! I read the 1st book in about an hour in a bookstore (refused to buy it) and it was horrible. As I read I thought - wow badly written Twilight for adults - then I found out that it was written as Twilight FanFic (or Fan Written Fiction)!

I agree that it glorifies abusive men and it actually gives a bad impression of the BDSM lifestyle - in truth the submissive is actually in control of the play and the dom is responsible for pleasing them - the fact the dom enjoys it is their pleaseure from it.

Beating someone, them not liking it and you enjoying it is abuse and against the law. Period.
  • Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    Not read them but I've sold a lot (I'm a bookseller). It certainly has a lot of people talking about books and, in my world, thats a good thing. Check out other stuff that your local bookstore will have got in (we *do* love a bandwagon...) as much of it is pretty well written. Anais Nin, Delta of Venus, is a classic and then theres always D.H. Lawrence and Henry Miller. I agree on the Anne Rice and if you like the supernatural you could do worse than check out Janine Ashbless. Since she *is* a friend of mine....:wink:

Jane
  • LOVE 50 shades:) Don't care about how well 'written' it is or isn't...I don't think it's supposed to be War & Peace....I think if you're a super prude, don't read it..and it doesn't mean you have to go out and set up you're own playroom and I don't intend to buy any whips or chains:laugh: ....It does answer some questions even after all these years, lol...I'm enjoying the love story developing between the characters (still on book 2) Love the emails between Ana & Grey...and I like the message that perhaps someone as messed up as Grey can be 'reached' simply by real love.
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    I only got 1/2 way through the first book and stopped reading it because I didn't like it. I didn't like the way it was written and I don't like the whole dominance and submission thing. I don't get why so many women like these books.
  • read all three. I really hated the first one. I hated that is was such a young girl who had no experience. I fear for the future women in this world that they would allow a man to treat her that way.

The next 2 did develop into a relationship and was better. She stood up for herself
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    I'm half way through the first one....It is very, um, different. I'm not sure if I care for it.

Same here, I really despise the main character she seems so weak
  • Loved them, I tought they were great reads.