What is C25K?

CaptainGordo
CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
The original Couch to 5K program is outlined on the Cool Runnings website, and can be found here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

As the website states, "Our beginner's running schedule has helped thousands of new runners get off the couch and onto the roads, running 3 miles in just two months."

The real beauty of the program is that it can be done at your own pace. You don't have to be a world class athlete to run 3 miles. As many people have discovered (myself included), this program can transform nearly anyone into a runner.

As the website explains...
Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves.

You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.

It's easy to get impatient, and you may feel tempted to skip ahead in the program, but hold yourself back. Don't try to do more, even if you feel you can. If, on the other hand, you find the program too strenuous, just stretch it out. Don't feel pressured to continue faster than you're able. Repeat weeks if needed and move ahead only when you feel you're ready.
Check out the Cool Runnings site for more information. Also, don't forget to check out the knowledge, experiences and tips that MFP members provide here in the group forum.

Happy running!

Replies

• Joyfuldadzie
    Joyfuldadzie Posts: 6 Member
    :glasses: It's a good way to start. I've been using this since about last Sept. Ive had to repeat some weeks and put it down for the 100+heat and humidity whew! Its helped me jog 3 miles nonstop. I still use it. There were a few days I added breaks and a few I skipped the routine and just enjoyed the walking but overall it helped me reach the 3 mile or 5k.
  • wkile76
    wkile76 Posts: 33 Member
    I just found out about this app, and promptly downloaded it. I started yesterday, and I must say I really liked it. I look forward to the end where I will be able to jog the entire time.
  • 4C_diva
    4C_diva Posts: 43 Member
    I am looking forward to this program. I did a trial run of week 1 day 1 last night. I found it enjoyable. I will officially start the program on Tues. I don't want my running days to conflict with my son's basketball games. Tues., Thurs., and Sat. will be my running days.:smile:
  • melwa
    melwa Posts: 44 Member
    Downloaded the app. Printed out the plan. Looked up my first fun run to book into - March 10. Start tonight!
  • mommyonthemove90
    mommyonthemove90 Posts: 2 Member
    I am just finishing up week 1 of the program and i love it, it feel awesome and accomplished when i am done, there is no beating it :-)
  • BeckyAndie
    BeckyAndie Posts: 39 Member
    Hi, my name is Becky and I'm new to the group.

My mom and brother, who are runners in great shape, cornered me this weekend and challenged me to train for a 5k. I'm completely unathletic, ungraceful, and carrying 100 lbs too much. I pointed all of this out to them and they responded that if I can run a half an hour on an elliptical machine, a milestone I accomplished last week, then I can train for a 5k. I'm not sure that's true, but I'm going to try. Thanks for the pointers on where to go to get training info.
  • Hi. I'm Tina. I just joined the group today and am starting my C25K program next week for the race I'll be attending in May. I ran the same race last year at Disney's Animal Kingdom with my husband and daughter. But it has been 6 months since I've run. I am ready to go, very motivated and looking to give and get inspiration here.

Good luck to everyone!
  • felicityrhode
    felicityrhode Posts: 15 Member
    Hello Group!

I am new to the group, and would like to start the C25K program right away! I have a question, though... Are there any specific speeds that we should follow? More than likely, I'll be completing this on a treadmill and it would be a great help to me if I knew what speed would equate to a "brisk walk" and a "jog". Right now, I'm maxing out at about 4 mph on the treadmill, so I'm a super beginner. Any help?
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    this program can transform nearly anyone into a runner.

Hi everyone! I found the C25K app about a month ago, but I haven't had the nerve to try it yet. You all look pretty fit in your profile pictures! I'm curious if it really is good for "anyone", or is there a lot of emphasis on the "NEARLY" before the anyone. I'm the type of girl that doesn't fit into "one size fits most."

This is my second week back at the gym (I've been off/on for 2 years), so I may not be as out-of-shape as most people my size. But still, I'm 5'4", 240 pounds. My body fat percentage is almost 53%. Is there anyone out there, roughly my size, that has used this program? I'm wondering if it's worth trying now, or if I should wait until I'm a bit more seasoned at the gym.

PS: I know it's called "COUCH to 5k"... but I've been to "dollar stores" that charge more than dollar. In the words of an angry Asian store owner, "Dollar store just name!!!"
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Hi,
    I am Kira and I am new to the group. I have always been a swimmer so running is a new trainingsform for me. But as I can do it from home I thought I give it a try.
    I did W1D2 yesterday and is very doable. I am looking forward to the rest of the program. I can´t even imagine today I will ever be able to run the whole time. But to keep me on track I signed myself in for a 5k beginning of May. So there is no way out now.
  • SandyKru
    SandyKru Posts: 1 Member
    Anyone having problems with side cramps?
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Anyone having problems with side cramps?

I did at first but I don't anymore...These tips helped:

Avoid eating within one hour of running (I was running right after dinner. Now I try to wait until after running to eat or I wait 1 hour)
    Stick to plain water for pre-hydration -- avoid sugary, especially carbonated, drinks.
    Make sure that you always warm up and stretch before your runs (I walk a bit then pause the app and stretch so I'm not stretching totally cold)
    Avoid shallow breathing
    Running in extreme cold temps can cause it too (I joined our Y so I can run inside when it's really cold)

Hope one or more of these help! :-)
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    I am on week two after doing week one twice. I am signing up for a 5k for April and I really want to be able to run it all. Right now, I actually do 40 minutes of walking/jogging so after my last walk on C25K I usually do about 10 minutes more with alternating.
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    "Anyone having problems with side cramps?"

SandyKru, my podcast trainer gives two tips to help avoid stitch, drink plenty of water before going on a run and should stitch come on during the run, take in deep breaths through the nose and as you exhale out the mouth, push out the stomach. It's quite difficult to do while running and your out of breath already but it seems to work for me.
  • alisi85
    alisi85 Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you sooo much for breaking it down for us hey everyone I'm Alisi I joined thus group a couple wks ago and realized I had no idea what I joined I just new it had something to do with running I'm about 100lbs over weight but I've always loved running. I have a 5k coming up in May and definetly need something to give me that push to not walk the whole thing. Thanks again for the pointers!!! Can't wait to let the lil runner inside of me free lol
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    I am looking forward to being a member of this group! I just completed W3D2 this morning and I believe I will be doing week 3 over again next week. Jogging for 3 minutes is not easy for me. I have never been a runner/jogger so this program was intimidating at first. If I look too far ahead at the training it gets very intimidating to me. However when I complete the day I feel a sense of accomplishment.

I am doing my program on a treadmill. I am 50lbs overweight and I can feel it in my knees when I run. I don't want to quit until I am (hopefully) thinner but I also don't want to hurt myself.
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    this program can transform nearly anyone into a runner.

Hi everyone! I found the C25K app about a month ago, but I haven't had the nerve to try it yet. You all look pretty fit in your profile pictures! I'm curious if it really is good for "anyone", or is there a lot of emphasis on the "NEARLY" before the anyone. I'm the type of girl that doesn't fit into "one size fits most."

This is my second week back at the gym (I've been off/on for 2 years), so I may not be as out-of-shape as most people my size. But still, I'm 5'4", 240 pounds. My body fat percentage is almost 53%. Is there anyone out there, roughly my size, that has used this program? I'm wondering if it's worth trying now, or if I should wait until I'm a bit more seasoned at the gym.

PS: I know it's called "COUCH to 5k"... but I've been to "dollar stores" that charge more than dollar. In the words of an angry Asian store owner, "Dollar store just name!!!"

I just started week two, (after like a month of week one lol) and its been good for me, also I'm not the same height as you but I weigh more. I"m definitely not one of the fit/athletic ones. but its not hard. My number one thing that it took me this whole month to realize is that don't do your running at top speed trying to break the record. You'll burn out and hurt yourself. But I think you would be fine, although you may need to repeat days/weeks like I did lol

Also Hi everyone new to the group, My names Amberjade, nice to meet ya'll
  • Hi.I'm Heather,and i'm starting the C25K on Friday :happy:

Can't wait to get cracking at it!

I'd love some more friends who are taking part in it,as i only have 2 so far.Any adds accepted.Good luck everyone.:happy:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Welcome, Amberjade and Heather!

AJ - you have already accomplished two of the major milestones of the program. The first is completing W1D1 and the other is the first 20 minute run. Great work!

Heather - I'm almost envious of your opportunity in starting the program. I learned so much and came so far in the 9 weeks. Congratulations!
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    I started this week and tomorrow will be my third day of week 1!!