130-150 grams of protein per day?

Vegan_Chick
Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
I started the NEW Rules For Lifting program and have been eating around 130-150 grams of protein per day on a vegan diet. It is so hard to do! Plus the book states you need to keep your macros at 40/30/30. This is even harder as I keep going over my carbs. Anyone else have any luck with this? Any experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    I've been staring at this same beast. Trying to work up to 50% protein. I think I'm going to be eating a lot of high protein tofu (14 grams per 100 calories) and also protein powders. Trader Joe's soy protein powder has 25 grams of protein and zero carbs, if I remember correctly. So far those are the two items I have found that will help me get more protein than carbs.
  • Vegan_Chick
    I will have to look into soy protein powder. I try to stay away from it since I eat other soy products. I am worried Im gonna get too much
  • vegansara
    Yeah I try not to eat soy too much and I am usually only looking at sustainable diet changes, but with P90X I am looking at doing high protein intake for a limited time. I also have a brown rice protein powder but I haven't looked at the carb/protein ratio yet.
  • Vegan_Chick
    It is deinately hard to stay away from soy. I wish there were more options. I gotta make me some more seitan
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I get Inca Meal at the Vitamin Shop, it's a multi-grain protein powder (rice, amaranth, chia, quinoa, etc) and I make it with almond milk (the canister recommeds juice, but that would just increase the carbs with no extra protein)...it's tasty, and no soy...not sure how the macronutrient balance is.
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    truenutrition.com is awesome, they let you pick whatever kinds of protein mix you want. I just ordered a pea/rice/hemp mixture that should be waiting for me when I get home. I'll let you know how it tastes.
  • tigerdactyl
    The results are in - it's good! I got the "natural chocolate" flavor, which is sweetened with stevia. It's pretty damn sweet, and tastes good. My wife even likes it, and he's not a protein powder fan.
  • vegansara
    I finally splurged on Vega protein powder, and I love it! I got the vanilla and it's delicious - tastes even better than spirutein. It's spendy, but it's quality protein and soy free.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Alot of the studies ive read say 1.2-1.8g protein per Kg for muscle building and strength based athletes. More protein than this has been found to be non-benificial. Of course ive read other reports that suggest 'the more the better'.
  • tigerdactyl
    The results are in - it's good! I got the "natural chocolate" flavor, which is sweetened with stevia. It's pretty damn sweet, and tastes good. My wife even likes it, and he's not a protein powder fan.

SHE is not a protein powder fan. Could have been confusing.
  • jja8762
    jja8762 Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new to this lifestyle. I am moving to a Vegan lifestyle, not only to be more healthy, as the benefits are enormous. But, I also care deeply about the environment and joined PETA because I am against all forms of animal abuse for our consumption.

I am reading a new book by Kathy Freston called "Veganist". It is awesome and chalk full of information how being a Vegan is a win-win situation. We reap the health benefits while contributing to the care of our animals and environment. I highly recommend it.

My questions is, Why is too much soy a concern. I drink Soy milk every day and drink Soy Protein. Is too much Sot bad for you?
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member

SHE is not a protein powder fan. Could have been confusing.

LOL.. I was just thinking the same thing after reading your post. ;)

On a 40-30-30 diet breakdown, I've been able to hit the recommended daily protein (for me, it's 94g/day) with help from protein supplements. Without protein powder once a day to hit that number, I find it somewhat difficult to stay within my daily calories though but it's only been my third day since adjusting to a 40-30-30.