Teacher support Group

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Very tough day today dealing with an exhausting, button-pusher who is smart but admits that he just doesn't care. It's pretty clear that Mom is in agreement with him- she doesn't care either. It's like banging my head against the wall... :sad:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Actually the best advice I was ever given was to treat the students the way you would want you onw chilcren to be treated, and have the same expectations from them you would have for your own children. It hasn't led me wrong yet!

Great advice... similar to the best advice I've received:
    Parents send the best kids that they've got to school each day. They don't have better, smarter, more attentive kids hiding at home.

It's a little bit hard to describe, but I hope that makes sense :huh:
  • Hi,
    I just finished up my credential program, and am subbing until I can find full time work. I need some motivation and somewhere to keep myself accountable for losing weight.
    I'd love to join this group!
    Right now my goal is to lose 25 pounds.
  • smithiekat
    smithiekat Posts: 112 Member
    I want to know if anyone has done the 30 day shred and if they know how many calories are burned during this workout. I have just started level 2 and would like to enter it in my exercise log but not sure what to put it as;)
    Please help.

I recorded it as "circuit training"
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Very tough day today dealing with an exhausting, button-pusher who is smart but admits that he just doesn't care. It's pretty clear that Mom is in agreement with him- she doesn't care either. It's like banging my head against the wall... :sad:
    :flowerforyou:
    Hang in there!
    Tomorrow will be a whole new ball game.
    :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
    You just never know. :wink:
  • aam_84
    aam_84 Posts: 46
    Thank you very much!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Being from Kansas, USA, we have snow days built into our calendar every year. We are hoping to NOT use any so that we can get out of school for summer break a week early So far our district has missed the bad stuff (knocking on wood).

In South Florida we actually have days built in for Hurricane season. During the cold snap, we had kids asking for cold weather days, it was too cold for school (our highs were in the 50"s) :laugh:
  • LMS3386
    LMS3386 Posts: 16
    Hello all! I am so excited to have found this group. I just graduated last year and there are literally NO teaching jobs where I am (Long Island, NY), but I was lucky enough to have gotten a permanent building substitute job at a K-5 elem. school. I absolutely love it, but I have learned to avoid the faculty room because of all the sweets!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Hello fellow teachers!
    I am so glad to find this forum. I try to avoid walking in that lounge and make sure I bring an apple or something healthy to snack on after my teaching schedule is over. Leaving on time and getting exercise in during the week is my challenge. Bit of an over-achiever here. Has anyone tried the free video workouts on prevention.com? They are great and the price is right! Here is the link:

http://www.prevention.com/health/news-voices/videos

Have a great weekend!
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    I am not technically a teacher but I am a paraeducator! Does this qualify? I would love to join!

Absolutely! Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • bluenote
    Thanks, Fab50 - I never knew they existed. I'll go to Prevention tomorrow - need sleep now. :yawn: Goodnight, fellow teachers!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Hey, for anyone who weighs in on Sunday there is a forum that you could add to help you with accountability. It is called Sunday Successes. Check it out! I have been a bit obsessive about weighing and would end up sabotaging myself if I saw a slight upward fluctuation...due to salt, hormones or anything! I would just throw in the towel if I saw a little rise. No more of that for me. I am weighing in on Sundays only and it is working for me. Anyone want to join me? Today's weigh in shows a 1 lb loss which adds up to 8lbs since 12/30. Whew hooo! Come on, hop off that scale and join me for Sunday celebrations! Have a great week everybody!
  • LifesPilgrim
    I like the idea of weighing in once a week!!!
  • aam_84
    aam_84 Posts: 46
    My work is doing a Biggest Loser challenge and we do weigh in wednesdays! IT is definatly a great motivator to stay on task...
  • LifesPilgrim
    My school is currently running a fitness challenge that is sposored by one of our coaches. everyone is issued a pedometer and we tally our steps everyday for 8 weeks. Every Thursday we send our weekly totals so we can see how we are doing against our teammates and the other teams.

It's a lot of fun and brings a lot of awareness of fitness for a little while at least. I'm in second place for my team right now, and in the top ten overall.

If anyone wants more info, just let me know.
  • bluenote
    I'd like more info, andersonkar. Thanks!

Our school is doing a pseudo-BL challenge, but I stayed away from it because I have SO much more than everyone to lose and what happens is I become the Poster Child for Weight Loss at my school. I hate that kind of attention.
  • LifesPilgrim
    The first round of our state testing is DONE!!!! whooo hooo!!!

How is everyone else doing with all the crazy weather? Hope cabin fever isn't too bad.
  • LifesPilgrim
    HHHEEEEELLLLOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    Is anybody out there?????????

I'm getting lonely here!!! :frown:
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    I'm here anderson!

Life is crazy. I was told at the beginning of February that I GET to host our league middle school music festival. Ummm, okay. But I was under the impression (from our league meeting back in SEPTEMBER!) that, because it is my first year here, another school was going to host the festival. Nothing like finding out with only 8 weeks to plan! I almost have all the judges lined up (something that I WOULD have done in November or December had I known!). Good thing I work well under pressure!:laugh:
  • LifesPilgrim
    YEEAAHHH!! I'm not alone anymore :laugh:

Don't you just love being voluntold about things? Good luck with the festival!!!

I took over the school's yearbook and had one plan of action and was told a couple of weeks ago to do something else, so I totally sympathize with have to change everything or throw things together at the last minute.

Hope the weather and the testing season treats everyone well.

I miss talking to you guys.