Strength Training

Replies

• DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    I strength train every week... even if I can't make it to the gym, I'm doing some sort of bodyweight exercises at home.

1) It makes me look better naked
    2) I am a badass and should be able to lift like one-- trying to increase my overall strength
    3) It increases metabolism and all of the other awesome stuff that studies have shown

:drinker:
  • Not true if you are eating less. It makes your muscles stonger to burn more. The only way it will make you bulky is if you eat alot and work out.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    I just started lifting yesterday and my muscles are soreeeee today, but a good kind of sore. I plan to do it slowly for the first two weeks then increase weights and why? Because it'll help you burn body fat while increasing muscle and endurance.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Love it, Makes me strong and allows me to eat the way I like...Love the change in my body...:-) Not a cardio fan, I do squeeze it in,But Love me some weightlifting;-)When I get off a treadmill mill, I am glad its done! When I am done lifting, I am like errrggggg bring it;-) :happy:
  • Strength training is a must for men and women, imo.

I can't "just lift", I'm a dolt and need a dvd to workout to (don't have time for a gym, workout at home). I have done P90X and Chalean Extreme.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I mostly run, but I do weights a couple of times a week to keep my lean mass up (since I run so much and I've got "clearly stringy arms" as a poster from another thread noted). I've also noticed far fewer running injuries when I add some weights to the mix. :flowerforyou:
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    I just started a week ago following the New Rules of Lifting for Women and so far I absolutely LOVE it ... I feel like a badass in the gym with the guys because most of the girls are on the treadmills and not where the weights are .. I just march my *kitten* up to the weights and the guys move on over to give me space .. lol. It's a little intimidating at first, but after the first couple of times, you're an old pro at it. I'm not lifting anything heavy yet, mind you, but I'm working up to it. Definitely would recommend!!!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    No. Lifting will make you bulky.

Yes, this is so true. I never lift anything heavier than my nail file and lipstick case. :tongue:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Most of what I do is heavy lifting. I started because of the amazing results I'd heard about and to gain and maintain lean muscle mass. I stick with it because it's starting to produce some really awesome changes. :happy: And because I get to eat more... And because I get "lifter's high"... :bigsmile:

And yeah, I'm bulkier. (Srsly). So what? Do I wanna be fat, or do I wanna be muscly and able to knock the crap outta anyone who doesn't like it?
  • RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    I loooooovvvvveeeeee strength training! It's like an addiction, lol. What's not to like?... Getting stronger, leaner, bulkier, faster, ect.! It's amazing. :D
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Strength training is a must for men and women, imo.

I can't "just lift", I'm a dolt and need a dvd to workout to (don't have time for a gym, workout at home). I have done P90X and Chalean Extreme.

Love me some Tony Horton and Chalene Johnson! They take the guess work out of strength training.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    I do some strength training. Prefer it more than cardio. I love what it's done to my arms. Now just to focus on my abs and legs. Will be following this thread for further links and suggestions.
  • RCS17
    RCS17 Posts: 51 Member
    Also, you guys could try Stronglifts.com......imo, I enjoy doing those workouts.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    The heavier I lift, the smaller I get. I wish I'd started lifting heavy 15 years ago. I'll never go back. Doing mostly cardio, I always stayed soft. I don't want to be soft, I want to be STRONG, I want to be a bada$$. :smokin:

But seriously, if you don't want to have a firm, tight rear, don't lift. It's an inevitable side effect. :bigsmile:
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    I do New Rules of Lifting for Women 3 times a week. I'm starting on Stage 3 on Monday...once I've completed all the stages I'm going to do Stronglifts 5x5....I love picking up heavy things.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    i would rather lift than cardio any day. i like to lift things up and put them down! lol
  • Bump for future reference. I have been doing 30DS which isn't strength training but I feel the buuuurn! LOL
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member

Yes, this is so true. I never lift anything heavier than my nail file and lipstick case. :tongue:

damn. I never wear lipstick. What can I lift that will not be too heavy? I keep shifting bags of sand around at work but I am petrified my muscles will break out of my shirts and I'll turn green!!!!
  • JulieDive
    JulieDive Posts: 29 Member
    I am going to follow this thread. I want to start strength training. but don't know where to begin. :sad:

Ditto! after reading the initial post I am going to start strength training. where to begin?
    I definitely would love to have a toned physique :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member

I'm sorry I forgot my smiley face.

:tongue: