Depression

How do you handle it? Eating-wise? Exercise-wise?

Replies

• CJSCHUYLER
    CJSCHUYLER Posts: 29 Member
    I use exercise in the gym and cardio workouts to help. I was getting terrible for a while with things going on so i needed a focus point. Back home i drank and got on the computer. I dont have the beer here and the computer online part is not good enough to allow me to get on a game. I started to hit the gym and exercise. I found this website and another website and now this is my new focus point. I just keep my mind off things and put myslef into something that makes me happy. once you get into the research and looking stuff up and taking advice you really start to get into it. the eating part comes better once the workout is focused on, at least that is what happened to me. I hope this helps in a way.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Exercise is a great mood booster.

So is eating a nutritious balanced diet. I am in my late fifties, and I've never felt better. I'm at a healthy weight, I exercise moderately, try to limit alcohol, rarely eat sugar, get plenty of protein, I take a Vitamin D supplement and a multi- vitamin, and sleep eight hours a day. All my past depression is gone.

Start doing things that are good for you, and you'll be surprised at the difference.

I really think adding Vitamin D to my regimen was a huge piece of the puzzle that was missing for me, I live in a cloudy, northern location and get very little sun exposure over the course of the year. Winter used to debilitate me almost completely. The past two winters have been the most happy I can remember - since beginning the Vitamin D. Do some research on it, and diet for treating depression.
  • SC74
    SC74 Posts: 33
    I struggle with it sometimes. I always try to be aware that if I eat poorly, I will only feel worse and undo all my hard work. It also helps if your kitchen is stocked with healthy options. For example, my snacking options are only fruit and nuts or hummus w/ whole grain crackers.
    Getting motivated to exercise when you're feeling down is a challenge but I try to get myself to at least go for a walk outdoors for 20 minutes. It's manageable and makes a world of difference!
    Hope you get out of your rut soon!
  • Thanks for posting this as I am in the same boat as you are. I have been looking for an underlying cause to my depression recently and am just so frustrated with the process and how unwilling doctors in my area are to even give me the time of day. Depression is not just a diagnosis, there are always underlying reasons for it and I just wish the medical community would recognize that and help us to treat the cause rather than just treating the symptoms!!! ARGGGHHHH...

That being said, here are my suggestions for you and feel free to add me as a friend if you want to too. I read a lot of posts about people being proud about going off their antidepressant. That's all well and good but it's not the solution for everyone. Medication is not the devil and if it wasn't for antidepressants I'm sure I would be much worse. However, antidepressants only treat the symptoms, not the causes so I highly recommend that you start tracking your moods and symptoms every day to look for a pattern because there usually is one. Also, exercise does really help if you can actually find the energy to do it (I know it's hard!). Another thing I've found that helps is vitamins, especially B12 shots - they do wonders for me. I was recently tested for vitamin deficiency although they said my B levels were fine, I did test low in Vitamin D so I'm going to start supplementing with that. And I've also found that limiting my sugar really does help even though it sucks to go without it all the time. Keeping a food diary is helpful because you can look for food sensitivites that may be causing some symptoms too.

Hope these suggestions help you and best of luck to you. You are definitely not alone!!!! :)
  • Thank you to everyone who has replied. It seems I'm doing the right things, I'm getting plenty of exercise, no sugar, and making sure I get plenty of sunlight for the vitamin D.

I don't often deal with depression like so many other unfortunate individuals out there but it just seems to be hitting me very heavily right now. I've always been everyone else's shoulder and now it seems as if I'm alone. Even when talking to others, I feel lonely.

But I realize that my children are healthy, I'm regaining my health, and have little to complain about compared to so many others out there. So, just like a good workout session, I'm just going to have to power through it.

Thanks again!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Sometimes depression is so bad that you need a doctor...If it continues for more than 6 months, please see one.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Hi darlin, this I relate to and yes, mfp has helped me stay out of it. Even if all I do is walk 2 miles it helps. Also the meals and water I think have played a huge role in keeping me out of depression. I do take supplements and one is B12. Someone told me it helped with depression so I think that could be another reason as well.

It just seems like I have something worth getting up for now. When I am working or in school I am way better so I knew I needed to get something more going this Summer. I had started MFP again just before. It is about being busier for me but the healthy busy is way better than just plain, ole busy;) Denise:drinker: :drinker:
    How do you handle it? Eating-wise? Exercise-wise?
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    One thing to keep in mind is that you are not alone. There are plenty of us here on MFP that have to deal with depression. You can always come here for support. I've been diagnosed with clinical depression for the last 20+ years. The exercise helps a lot. Sometimes doctors can't treat the cause but the medication I take helps with the seratonin(sp?) in my brain. Some people have no problem taking meds for other organ problems but when it comes to the brain they think you should just snap out of it. Not so. Lean on us and I also lean on God.
  • klkutz1405
    klkutz1405 Posts: 18 Member
    I can relate to all those out there that have been diagnosed with depression. I suffer from depression and have been on medication for years. I recently have started to really try to change my lifestyle: working out more, eating better. It has really helped. I take a weight training class a couple of times a week. I also try to work in cardio 2-3 times a week. Putting in my headphones, listening to some of my favorite tunes, and riding the stationary bike for 45 minutes to an hour is such a mood lifter. I always feel better after working out. I know I'll never be able to completely go off my medication, but hopefully a more healthy lifestyle will help me need it less. Thanks for starting this thread, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue. :smile:
  • I have noticed that exercise and eating healthier has helped me out a lot. Researching better eating and different exercises that I can do at home is also something that takes my mind off my funk. I have also incorporated B12 complex sub lingual drops, multivitamin and omega 3 (mainly for the joint support) but I have noticed that my mood is worse when I don't work out. I am on edge and once I go for a walk/jog I am usually better. Even if its 15 minutes a day or you go and walk around the building you work at during lunch it will help.

Just know that you are not alone and that there are a lot of people here that have the same concerns. Good luck, feel free to add me if you want. :flowerforyou:
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    I was clinically depressed for 9 years, and seriously getting more exercise has worked better than anything else I've tried. Of course, the nature of depression is you do not have enough energy and motivation to exercise, also you crave the kinds of foods that keep you feeling lethargic. Once I started eating better, I started having more energy. So I started small, went for a walk a few times a week, then everyday, then I started going to the gym more often. Everyday is a small victory, I originally could only do 7 minutes on the elliptical, then at one point I went twice a day for 15 minutes so I could add up to a full 30. Now I honestly miss it if I don't do at least 40 minutes of cardio (preferably everyday but usually 5-6 times a week.) Somedays it's hard, but the idea of going back to the way I felt is so much worse of a prospect so it gives me the strength to go, after I do I feel much better.

Everyone's journey/situation is unique, this is just what has worked for me (so far).
  • We all deal with depression in our life at some point. Depression is a chemical in balance in the brain. So, how do you get your balance in check????? If you have been dealing with it a long time you should talk to a Doctor about getting on some medication so they can get your seratonin levels back in place. Depression is a sickness like any other. There is nothing wrong with getting on medication to help yourself feel better. You don't want to live your life dealing with that issue when there is medication to help you get better!!!
    Life is to short, help yourself and others around you will notice and enjoy you more!! Eating better and exercise can help but wont fix the problem. Talk to your DOCTOR :) Good Luck!!!!!
  • I have noticed that exercise and eating healthier has helped me out a lot. Researching better eating and different exercises that I can do at home is also something that takes my mind off my funk. I have also incorporated B12 complex sub lingual drops, multivitamin and omega 3 (mainly for the joint support) but I have noticed that my mood is worse when I don't work out. I am on edge and once I go for a walk/jog I am usually better. Even if its 15 minutes a day or you go and walk around the building you work at during lunch it will help.

Just know that you are not alone and that there are a lot of people here that have the same concerns. Good luck, feel free to add me if you want. :flowerforyou:

I agree with walking when you can. I do it all the time. I get two 15 minute breaks a day and a 45 minute lunch. I spend all of that time walking around the block. It definitely helps offset the days when I have no time in the evening due to the kids.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    I look at pics of what i used to look lke just a few weeks ago and get off my butt and go do it...............
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    This book changed everything for me 3 years ago when I bought it and applied it: http://www.amazon.com/The-Mindful-Way-through-Depression/dp/1593851286. Meditation was the key for me. It allowed me to step back and become aware of the thoughts that started the downward spiral. However, it takes quite a bit of dedication and practice to get it down and even more discipline to keep it up. Falling down and forgiving yourself for falling down is part of the ongoing fight with depression and depressive thoughts. Since picking up this book I've been depression free (still some down days for sure) for 3 years after having undiagnosed dysthymia since childhood and a major clinical depression 4 years ago.

Exercise and eating right also help a ton. Therapy also helped a ton. Caring massage also is very helpful. Minimizing contact with other depressed people. Now I've been the most content I've ever been in my life.

I wish you all the best in your fight with depression. Please try the book. It can be a game changer!
  • I was clinically depressed for 9 years, and seriously getting more exercise has worked better than anything else I've tried. Of course, the nature of depression is you do not have enough energy and motivation to exercise, also you crave the kinds of foods that keep you feeling lethargic. Once I started eating better, I started having more energy. So I started small, went for a walk a few times a week, then everyday, then I started going to the gym more often. Everyday is a small victory, I originally could only do 7 minutes on the elliptical, then at one point I went twice a day for 15 minutes so I could add up to a full 30. Now I honestly miss it if I don't do at least 40 minutes of cardio (preferably everyday but usually 5-6 times a week.) Somedays it's hard, but the idea of going back to the way I felt is so much worse of a prospect so it gives me the strength to go, after I do I feel much better.

Everyone's journey/situation is unique, this is just what has worked for me (so far).

My problem seems to be just the opposite. Zero appetite and I have to force myself to stop exercising.

I am glad to have started this discussion though. It does help to know that others are going through the same thing, even if it's not any of the people you deal with IRL everyday. You begin to think it really is just you.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Last time I was depressed I turned it into anger and then turned it into 3,500+ calorie burn
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    We all deal with depression in our life at some point. Depression is a chemical in balance in the brain. So, how do you get your balance in check????? If you have been dealing with it a long time you should talk to a Doctor about getting on some medication so they can get your seratonin levels back in place. Depression is a sickness like any other. There is nothing wrong with getting on medication to help yourself feel better. You don't want to live your life dealing with that issue when there is medication to help you get better!!!
    Life is to short, help yourself and others around you will notice and enjoy you more!! Eating better and exercise can help but wont fix the problem. Talk to your DOCTOR :) Good Luck!!!!!

It is always a good idea to see a psychiatrist and a counselor and to have a good support group of family and friends, always talk to SOMEONE if your symptoms worsen to the point you are considering self-harm. However, when you are depressed never think just taking a pill will ever fix it. It takes an entire lifestyle change to help yourself avoid the pitfalls that will send you back into it.
  • Jbearbarnes
    Jbearbarnes Posts: 34 Member
    I heard from a doctor friend, a psychiatrist that believes in nutritional support before meds, that 100mg of vitamin B6, taken daily, will help. It works slowly, because it's not a pharmaceutical; takes about 3 months to see full change. He also says that In Washington, every should take D supplements, 6-9 months of the year, because we're so far north; even if we get sun exposure, the angle of the sun prevents proper amounts of vitamin D absorption. He recommends blood tests to accurately determine your individual needs.

I take:
    B6 (100 mg),
    Vit D (1000mg) October-June,
    (and prescription for depression)
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    I dealt with depression for a long time. Exercise is what helped me the most.....running specifically. Mood booster, stress reliever and a fantastic way to get some "me" time to just reflect and mull *kitten* over. :smile: