Searching For Low Cal Cupcakes!

My little girl's 1st birthday is coming up, and we're getting her pictures done on Saturday. The photographer wants to incorporate a smash cake-like picture into the shoot, and we were wanting to get pictures of our whole little family eating cupcakes. Well, I'm really big on making sure my little girl eats good, but also healthy. (Plus my husband and I both are trying to lose weight, so I don't want us to omnom on a fatty cupcake)

So does anyone have any low calorie/healthier cupcake/cake recipes? :) Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SMP151
    SMP151 Posts: 32
    Dashingdish.com has a couple cupcake recipes that use cake mix and diet soda. They are really good and not bad on the calories either.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    www.skinnytaste.com has healthy recipes for cupcakes like pumpkin, chocolate, vanilla, pineapple, pink lemonade, red velvet, etc.

I make her recipes all the time and they are delicious!
  • These come out dense and taste like a brownie to me but still very good and healthy! :drinker:

Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffin (Knock-Offs of Whole Food’s 6 Dollar per 4 Chocolate Chunk VitaTop Muffins)

Ingredients:

1 3/4 c oats

· 3 egg whites

· 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

· 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

· 1 tsp. vanilla extract

· 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)

· 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 Tbsp. vinegar)

· 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder

· 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda

· 1/4 tsp. salt

· 1 cup hot water

· 1 cup sugar substitute (like Splenda granular) OR 1/4 cup + 2 tbs stevia

· 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or use white chocolate or peanut butter chips!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
    In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
    Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
    Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
    Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional ‘VitaTop Muffin’ look with the chocolate chips on top!
    Cool muffins before removing from pan. ENJOY!!!
    Servings: 12 Big Muffins or 24 Smaller Muffins
    Calories: 116 Calories Per Muffin or 58 Calories Per Muffin
  • My little girl's 1st birthday is coming up, and we're getting her pictures done on Saturday. The photographer wants to incorporate a smash cake-like picture into the shoot, and we were wanting to get pictures of our whole little family eating cupcakes. Well, I'm really big on making sure my little girl eats good, but also healthy. (Plus my husband and I both are trying to lose weight, so I don't want us to omnom on a fatty cupcake)

So does anyone have any low calorie/healthier cupcake/cake recipes? :) Thanks in advance!

SPNluver83 has a you tube JaymeBales83 that has low cal cupcakes and they are AWESOME!
    She has pies too :)
  • cowgirlup327
    cowgirlup327 Posts: 58 Member
    Here is a recipe for cupcakes and frosting - both low calorie.

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/08/skinny-funfetti-cupcakes-recipe.html

You could also try mini cupcakes from the grocery store bakery.
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Here's a great recipe with all nutrition info as well

http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2008/march/big-fat-zero-cupcakes
  • awwwshux25
    awwwshux25 Posts: 96 Member
    I use fat free whipped cream instead of frosting and it cuts the calories down a lot.
  • Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! :)
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Diet soda cupcakes

1 can of diet soda (any brand/flavor), 1 box of cake mix.

Mix soda and cake mix together -- bake according to cake mix directions.

Frost w/low fat whipped cream
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    These are to DIE for!!! http://www.facebook.com/SPNluver83/notes

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

YOU NEED:

1 box Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge SUGAR FREE brownie mix

3 TBSP liquid egg whites

1/2 cup Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips

6-8 ounces Diet Dr. Pepper (or any other dark colored pop)

WHAT YOU DO:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together all of ingredients.

Fill up 12 cupcake tin evenly.

Bake for 15-18 minutes.

EAZY PEEZY!!!!

NUTRITION:

Calories: 139| Carbs: 29 | Fat: 6 | Protein: 1 | Fiber: 4 | Sugar: 5
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    I tried to pick out cupcakes that would be a good match for your little ones birthday their from HungryGirl Cookbook.

-Death by chocolate cone( cupcake in a cone)- 93 calories for 1 conecake with topping
    -Strawberry shortycakes- 68 calories per cupcake
    -Banana cupcakes with peanutbutter frosting- 143 calories for 1 frosted cupcake
    Im busy at the moment but quote/reply to this post and ill post recipes :)
  • debeitman
    debeitman Posts: 6 Member
    livebetteramerica.com is my one-stop-shop for all of my recipes. Search healthified and you'll find pages and pages of delicious meals and desserts. I do make some adjustments to the recipes to make them even lower in calories and fat but I haven't made a recipe that I haven't liked yet.
  • I tried to pick out cupcakes that would be a good match for your little ones birthday their from HungryGirl Cookbook.

-Death by chocolate cone( cupcake in a cone)- 93 calories for 1 conecake with topping

Awesome! Thanks!
  • www.skinnytaste.com has healthy recipes for cupcakes like pumpkin, chocolate, vanilla, pineapple, pink lemonade, red velvet, etc.

I make her recipes all the time and they are delicious!

You beat me to it!! I made the pink lemonade ones for my lilk girls b day last year..1 year too. I doubled the lemonade packet and put a packet of it in the frosting too! Yum!
  • coopersmith99
    coopersmith99 Posts: 30 Member
    Bump
  • JustineMarie21
    I tried to pick out cupcakes that would be a good match for your little ones birthday their from HungryGirl Cookbook.

Awesome! Thanks!
    Death by chocolate cone
    Ingredients
    12 cake (flat bottom) cones
    1 cup moist style chocolate cake mix
    1 25 calorie diet hot coco mix or 2 tablespoons unsweetened coco powder
    1/4 fat free liquid egg subsitutue
    2 Teaspoons mini semi sweet chocolate chips
    Frosting
    1 Jello sugar free double chocolate pudding snack
    2 tablespoon chocolate frosting
    2 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles.

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350
    in a medium bowl combine frosting and pudding snack, mix well and refridgerate.
    Place choco chips and the contents of coco packet in a tall glass and add 1/4 cup hot water. Stir untill dissolved. Add 1/4 cold water and mix well. Place cake mix in a large mixing bowl and add coco mixture and egg substitute and mix for 2 minutes. Set aside. Next find an area near the oven so you dont have to move the comes far. Check the cones to make sure they stand flat and tall. Place 12 cones upright in a 12 tin muffin pan. Carefully spoon batter into cones until cones are a little more than half way full. Allow cones to sit for a few minutes while batter settles. Very carefully transfer to oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool cones completely before frosting then add 1/2 Teaspoon sprinkles to each cone. Serve.
    1 Cupcake- 93 calories
    Fat-2.5g
    Carbs-16g
    Sugars-8g
    Protin-1g
  • JustineMarie21
    Strawberry Shortycakes
    1 Cupcake- 68 calories
    Fat- 0g
    Carbs-17.5g
    Sugar-8.5g
    Protien-1g
    Ingredients
    3/4 Cup angel food cake mix
    3/4 Cup cool whip fat free
    3/4 sugar free strawberry preserves
    3/4 sliced fresh strawberries
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 375
    Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups! There a must!
    Place cake mix in a medium bowl, and add 1/2 Cup water. Using an electric mixing, beat at low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium for 1 minute, let sit for 2 minutes. Evenly distribute batter amoung the 12 cups and bake in the oven for 12- 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean. Cool cupcakes completely, then carecully peel cakes from their liners and plate them. Place 1 Table spoon preservers over the top of each one followed with 1 tablespoon coolwhip. Top with fresh strawberries. YAY eaat :) !!
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    bump :)
  • JustineMarie21
    Banana cupcakes with PB frosting
    1 Cupcake frosted- 143 calories
    Fat-3.75g
    Carbs-25g
    Sugar-13g
    Protien-2g

Ingredients
    2 cups moist style cake mix
    1 large banana, mashed
    1/3 cup Gerber pureed bananas
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    Frosting
    3/4 fat free cool whip
    1/4 reduced fat peanutbutter
    Topping
    freshly sliced bananas

Preheat oven to 375
    In a small mixing bowl, combine frosting and set aside in fridge.
    In a large bowl add cake mix with baking powder and 1 cup water until mixed well. Add banana puree and mashed banana, mix well again. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with baking cups or spray and evenly distribute batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until done. Cool completely then frost with Pb frosting and serve with a slice of banan on top. WOOT WOOT
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    bump!