Child needs to gain weight

I took my daughter to the pediatrician for her regular checkup the other day and everything went great except for one thing: My daughter is in the 10th percentile for height and weight among 7 year olds. A year ago, she was in the 30th percentile for he We had a lengthy discussion about her eating habits. She's not considered underweight but she's kinda headed there. She hasn't been eating her lunches at school because she's busy playing with friends and her breakfast is always rushed and also eaten at school. And she's a very slow eater. I can't be around her all day to spoon feed her. She's also the youngest in her class with her birthday just making the cut-off. She's among the shortest and lightest among her peers in second grade. My other daughter is 2.5 years younger and weighs the same. Everything else about the girls points to healthy and awesome. They're both great kids.

Does anyone else have this issue with their child? I've started giving her Pediasure for kids to help her gain weight. I'd love to hear some ideas on how to help my child gain weight.

Replies

• Can I ask a question?

Is there any responsibility of the teachers in the US to make sure a child eats their lunch? I just wondered because when I was growing up in the UK the dining hall monitors were there to make sure the children were tucking in.

It may have changed as well in the UK what with our rising obesity in children over here.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    My son was underweight for a little while, but he's now 75/75. My daughter is only 9 months, but she's underweight.

They just suggest higher fat foods. I gave my son a lot of high protein, high fat meals and he's now just this little muscular thing. Hoping my daughter trends the same way!

Good luck.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    From what I can tell, American schools are overcrowded and half the lunch period is spent in line getting food. We started packing her lunch so she can skip the line and spend more time eating. When time is over, anything that's leftover is brought home to become part of her afternoon snack.

The cafeteria monitors don't really watch to see that the kids are eating. Just that they're not making any trouble.
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    I have the same problem with my stepdaughter who came from a different country to the US. She was very "chunky" when she got here but now has slimmed down completely. I was worried about her at first because she wasn't eating her food and I wasn't for sure if she was eating her food at school or not. We gave her a drink that is popular in her country and it really opened her appetite and she beagn to eat more. She's still thin but looks alot healthier and since I'm making a lifestyle change and preparing healthier meals, I know she's eating healthy.

I wouldn't worry, as long as she's eating her veggies and fruits (which you may wanna slip some fruits in her lunch bag) and the pedisure is great. Also, Vitamin C opens the appetite as well so you may wanna consider that as an option.

Pray that everything works out well for you and your family!!!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Did the Dr. say she needed to gain weight? My kid is at like 15% height / 10% weight and they basically said the ratios were good and not to worry about it, he's just a smaller kid. Also not to get too personal - but if breakfast is rushed, perhaps a change in routine would do you good - earlier bedtime and more time to eat in the morning?
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Did the Dr. say she needed to gain weight? My kid is at like 15% height / 10% weight and they basically said the ratios were good and not to worry about it, he's just a smaller kid. Also not to get too personal - but if breakfast is rushed, perhaps a change in routine would do you good - earlier bedtime and more time to eat in the morning?

^^This. BUT I understand!! Mornings are HARD!! Maybe get the kiddo some pediasure! Yum!! Chocolate Milk for breakfast!! Who wouldn't want that!! ;)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    how about fruit smoothies with avocado or coconut milk/butter?
  • tomomatic

All good questions and ideas.

My doctor didn't say that she needed it. She just think it's pretty dramatic to go from 30th percentile to 10th percentile in one year. The ratios are definitely good.

As for breakfast, it's rushed because the elementary school she attends has a breakfast program and the window for eating breakfast is rushed, like lunch. I see that as two rushed meals per day, M-F. We've switched to giving her some breakfast at home and some at school. Lunch is a crap shoot.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    From what I can tell, American schools are overcrowded and half the lunch period is spent in line getting food. We started packing her lunch so she can skip the line and spend more time eating. When time is over, anything that's leftover is brought home to become part of her afternoon snack.

The cafeteria monitors don't really watch to see that the kids are eating. Just that they're not making any trouble.

This is absolutely accurate. I asked my older son, who is in the 90th percentile for height and about 40th for weight about this. He spends so much time in line that he is frequently rushed out of the cafeteria before he finishes his lunch. For recess! I can't ask the teachers to let him stay longer (it doesn't work with their system), so packing his lunch is the answer. It gives him more time to eat as he, too, is a slow eater.

Another point- if she's in 10th for height AND weight, then she's really not underweight. She's probably right on for the height she is. I wouldn't stress unless the doc says she actually needs to gain weight. Just keep packing her lunch and see if that helps her eat more lunch.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    That's how I was as a kid. I was the smallest, scrawniest, and always youngest in my class. I didn't start catching up height/weight wise until about the 5th grade. I've always been short and petite, but weight wise I finally got to be pretty normal for my height and age in 5th/6th grade. I was one of those "eat like a bird" kind of kids, I never cleared my plate, didn't want to eat breakfast, preferred snacking to eating meals, etc. It was just one of those things that took time. That's exactly how my 5 year old son is, he's super tiny, eats like a bird, but is certainly not malnourished or anything. He just has a ton of energy and burns off everything he eats, doesn't like to sit and eat a meal, so often times he finishes his lunch (I pack his lunch for school) at afternoon snack time or during snack in his after school care program. I practically have to force him to eat breakfast.

I think it's just a phase, and she'll probably grow out of it. I know I did, and I'm sure my son will as well. Honestly, I think the percentile thing is skewed these days anyway because of the rise of overweight and obese children. Children that were once considered average height/weight to just slightly below are not VERY below average. As long as she knows the importance of fueling her body with healthy foods, and she eats when she is hungry, she'll be alright :smile:
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Did the doctor say she needs to gain weight?

My children are pretty small for their age, but they are healthy. My daughter is usually around the 25th centile for height and the 2nd centile for weight. But that is just the way she is.

If your daughter is on the same centile for both height and weight then she is in proportion, perhaps she has just slowed down growing for a little while?

The only time that doctors have worried with my three is when my daughter went off the bottom of the chart (below the 0.4th centile).

Children are different, some need more fuel than others.
  • Sounds like my daughter. She is in the 10% range and is the youngest of her class. She is also one of the tallest out of her class. Her dr told me not to worry about it because on the average kids her age should gain 4-6lbs per year and my daughter gained 4lbs from her last yearly check up. She is also a VERY picky eater and I have been giving her multi vitamins and calcium gummies to help off set her pickyness. Just make sure to offer healthy options for dinner and I started packing her lunch with better choices then the cafeteria offers. Try getting up earlier during the week to get some breakfast in before heading out the door. I keep some waffles in the freezer and make sure there is bread and peanut butter for a 'rushed' breakfast to eat in the car. I tell her if she is still hungry then to get something from the cafeteria in the morning.

At her school the lunch monitors are really good, they make sure the kids are not getting into trouble and they do remind the kids to eat but other then sitting at each table and looking at each child to make sure they are taking an actual bite and not just a nibble so they can chat during lunch then there is really no way of making the kids eat.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Snacks, snacks, snacks!

Kids need to eat frequently since they are constantly moving. Both of my kids are on the slimmer side as well. The doctor is never real concerned. She always says that if they are hungry, they'll eat. She suggested I give them more snacks throughout the day, healthy ones of course.

I tend to give them lots of fruits and veggies, crackers, yogurt, peanut butter sandwhiches and sometimes a plate of crackers with peanut butter on the side, veggie chips, etc.

Since your daughter is 7 years old you could try talking to her. Tell her how very important it is for her to try and eat her lunch instead of playing around with friends. Ask her what kinds of things she'd like, try to make her food fun. Make sandwhiches and then cut them into fun shapes and such.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    As a parent, I think my biggest worry would be why she dropped in BOTH...and my 2nd child is catching up....

Pedisure like you said
    Packing a lunch
    Snacks?

I get up at 5 am so that I'm completely around when it comes time to wake my daughter up at 6:30/6:45
    Then I can focus on waking her up and usually already have breakfast started so we can get out the door by 7:30

EDIT: Justa thought....those percentiles are based on the national average right? Well, more and more children are obese so wouldn't that skew the numbers anymore? From your pictures, she looks fine, small but just fine.

Make sure she's eating a well balanced diet and personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • tomomatic
    First, I think this is the first time that I've ever posted a topic and absolutely every reply was helpful. Thank you guys. I read every single word.

The pics that I have on my account here are pics from when the kids were a lot younger. My oldest daughter is currently 7 years old wearing 5T clothes... while her 4 year old sister is also wearing the 5T clothing. I realize that clothing size is not the best measure but when you combine it with the fact the other kids are a head and half taller, and she weighs the same as her 4 year old little sister.... well I just feel bad about it.

I also want to point out that she totally healthy! The pediatrician even said so! She has a healthy appetite... unless she's playing... which is typical of children. She eats healthy foods at home! She's also a faster swimmer than kids 1-2 years older. I just want to give her the best I can to make sure she grows up the way she's supposed to. Especially because she's so active.

We're going to do the Pediasure thing for a while and see how it goes and add a bunch of new snacks into her routine.

Again, thanks for all your responses!
  • When my grandson has the same issue, the nutritionist recommended using carnation instant breakfast in his milk each day. Also, suggested giving half the bread and twice the filling in sandwiches.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    If the doctor says she's healthy then I really wouldn't worry. My daughter is 6 and still wears age 3-4 school uniform. She is a little dot of a thing, but comes on 10 mile bike rides with us! If she was tired all the time I would worry, but she never stops. So I just presume that nature meant her to be little.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Hello! I also needed to gain weight as a child - I was rather severely underweight at some points. As a child I was a pretty picky eater and didn't have a very sharp sense of taste, so I ate best when the food was extremely flavorful, savory, spicy, or sweet. Unfortunately that's why I didn't eat very much of my Mom's very healthy but bland tofu products (I still hate tofu, lol) and why I ate more of Dad's processed box dinners and bags of candy! I would try to give your child healthy but very flavorful food that she'll love to eat, for example honey-roasted peanuts or cream-top fruit-flavored yogurt.

Also, see if you can get her involved in some strenuous exercise like dance or martial arts. The only time in my entire life that I wasn't underweight was when I was taking Aikido six days a week as a teenager - the exercise made me so hungry that I ate like a horse! :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Same boat here, 3rd daughter is two years older than my 4th and they look almost like twins (see picture <
    ) She eats less and has a very high activity level. We try to take more time for breakfast but, for example, this morning she left half an egg on her plate.
    She's 9 and starting to eat better but she will always be smaller than average.
    I love to cook for my daughters (only parent home 3-4 days a week for the last 5 years) but part of my weight gain was eating their leftovers from meals they found "yucky" - so now we do more meal planning together. And they need to taste everything - otherwise these kids would be sausage and noodles children. Every. Day.
    Getting a smaller child to eat properly is a challenge but doing it in a way that is emotionally balanced is just as important. Don't fight over food.