My 1200 Calorie/Day Eating Regimen - Thoughts?

Please read and let me know your thoughts on my eating program, also if you're motivated to get healthy and in-shape, feel free to add me as a friend! thanks, c :)

Calories: 1200 or less (but could be 1300)

The program from my trainer is as follows:
- plain oatmeal or cream of wheat for breakfast (can add cinnamon) - this is to avoid sugar cravings in the afternoon
- can have as many meals as you want - green veggies and lean meat ie: chicken, shrimp, trout, salmon, low fat deli slices (but keep processed stuff to a minimum), beef only once a week - salmon and trout are higher in fat, limit to 2-3 times per week, white fish
- no carrots (high sugar content), NO olives, NO avocado (too much fat) -- minimal amounts won't be too bad though
- NO rice, potatoes, beets, lentils, chick peas, hummus, kidney beans, black beans - etc on starchy items
- NO fruit (during weight loss)
- NO pork
- YES to cucumbers, onions, lettuce, parsley, tomatoes, peppers, zucchinni, cabbage, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, green beans, etc...
- low cal dressing ie: balsamic vinaigrette (but check calories, 5 or less is best), light italian, sweet onion if at subway
- another GREAT source of protein - ALLMAX, ISOFLEX protein powder - 1-1.5 scoops (vanilla, chocolate, peanut butter, chocolate mint chip - 110-165calories) -- 1-3 shakes per day if you're weight lifting
ALLOWED: mustard, hot sauce, horseradisch, honey mustard, light ketchup

-- also helpful: half a cup of water with 2-3 kelp drops as soon as you get up before consuming any food
-- lemon in water

Drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day - sometimes I drink 6 -- lack of water will prevent weight loss even if you're eating properly

'Dessert': G2 Gatorade - not more than 1 a day

I lost 15lbs in my first month with about 5-6 binge/cheat days -- I don't recommend bingeing - the way to solve that is to allow yourself to eat ANYTHING, as long as you are present and breathing - so for the last few weeks, I've taken bites of 'illegal' items without ruining my progress or going on a bingeing party

Thanks for Reading!! :)

Replies

• It sounds really healthy and no deprivation. Good luck!
  • worthliving4
    worthliving4 Posts: 29 Member
    this sounds similar to the paleo diet my sister in law does. SHe has amazing results and also does cross fit training with it. Very good and nutritious!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    If it works for you, go for it but cutting whole food groups (starch) and telling yourself that you can't have a large list of stuff seems absolutely ridiculous. If you do the research, you'd also find it to be pointless.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    - no carrots (high sugar content), NO olives, NO avocado (too much fat) -- minimal amounts won't be too bad though
    - NO rice, potatoes, beets, lentils, chick peas, hummus, kidney beans, black beans - etc on starchy items
    It sounds really healthy and no deprivation. Good luck!

Sounds like deprivation to *me*. I would be freakin miserable on that.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    You lost me at No... All those foods I don't see as a problem especially fruit.. but if it works for you and you can stick with it, great.. but if you go back to eating normal you will gain weight back..
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member

Me too. I'm all about fruit, carrots, avocado, olives, beans, beets...yeah, the list goes on.
  • SuperSexyDork

If she's trying to tell herself that this isn't deprivation, she's definitely lying to herself.
  • Sariebon
    Sariebon Posts: 52 Member
    Sorry - I'm never going to be on the NO FRUIT and NO VEGE (carrots, avocado, beets etc) bandwagon. Lentils and Chickpeas are very good for you! Not really understanding why they need to be cut out?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Restricting anything will eventually lead to failure.

Additionally, your diet plan seems to make no mention of macros or nutrient goals. A SERIOUS diet WILL take those into consideration. If you want to go on a diet that highly restricts calories, then you MUST watch all your nutrients, minerals, and proteins.

Otherwise, this post is simply "Watch me starve myself on iceberg lettuce!" and you'll be flamed.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member

That's deprivation to me. Fruit is healthy, as long as it fits in my calorie goals, and curbs my chocolate cravings.

And beans? Really?
  • No thanks. There isn't "too much" fat in avocados, beans/lentils are great and the right cuts of pork are very lean. I don't think diets that cut out natural wholesome food are good long term solutions.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Ummm... No? No thanks? :noway:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

Unless you are borderline diabetic, there is no reason to avoid those foods.
  • VeganMotoGirl
    VeganMotoGirl Posts: 43 Member
    this sounds similar to the paleo diet my sister in law does. SHe has amazing results and also does cross fit training with it. Very good and nutritious!

I agree sounds like the Paleo diet. My In-laws are doing a similar Paleo diet and have both lost over 50lbs in 13 weeks. But it seem too restrictive to me. I dont know what will hapen when they start to incoperate carbs back into their diet. They say they plan on not going all the way back and trying to switch just to a low carb instead of the zero carb plan they are doing now. But I am just praying that they dont gain a bunch back when they transisition back. Good luck on this plan, it wont be easy but it just might work for ya.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    It sounds too depriving. Ive been eating 1200 calories with which ever fruit and veggies I want and NO binge days. Still lost 22 lbs, still manage to fit in sweets within my calorie range when I do feel like a sweet. I

f you are too restricted it feels like a diet instead of a way of life. I don't eat as much rice or potatoes as I used too because I have found there are lower calorie, less starchy alternatives, and I use oil on the rare occasion but other than those changes, I eat what ever I want just controlled portions. I feel it has been very easy to maintain this way of eating because I dont feel too restricted. If i had to keep a list of yes foods and no foods i'd go insane and wouldnt be able to keep up with it,
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Sounds very much like a "DIET" to me, as opposed to healthy new eating habits. I can't imagine not having fruit, beans, lentils, avocado, carrots, and whole grains. The advice you were given sounds like it was snatched from the 1975 diet playbook.

Balanced macros (carb/fat/prot), and eating between your BMR and your goal TDEE will put you on the road to happy, healthy eating forever, and the weight will fall off naturally and slowly, and stay off.
  • SuperSexyDork
    By the way, it needs to be said that most of the vitamins in vegetables are FAT soluble. You will think that you're getting plenty of vitamins but if you're not eating it with some source of fat, you're not absorbing the nutrients and that's what matters.

Having only low cal dressings with your vegetables means that you will end up with vitamin deficiencies.

Here's an article that explains this

http://www.naturalnews.com/001545_dietary_fat_good_fats.html

So, how about trying some olive oil and vinegar on your salads or adding some of that avocado back in?
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    You lost me at No... All those foods I don't see as a problem especially fruit.. but if it works for you and you can stick with it, great.. but if you go back to eating normal you will gain weight back..

Exactly my thoughts. Lost me at NO. To me, it has to be about what is sustainable for LIFE. I'd be seriously hungry. Oh .. could do it for a short short while - but not FOREVER. And let's face it - we have to eat FOREVER.

But .. good luck with it !
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Personally I think it sucks *kitten*, why do some of these 'diets' make eating so complicated? No this and no that. Not for me thank you.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member

I agree sounds like the Paleo diet. My In-laws are doing a similar Paleo diet and have both lost over 50lbs in 13 weeks. But it seem too restrictive to me. I dont know what will hapen when they start to incoperate carbs back into their diet. They say they plan on not going all the way back and trying to switch just to a low carb instead of the zero carb plan they are doing now. But I am just praying that they dont gain a bunch back when they transisition back. Good luck on this plan, it wont be easy but it just might work for ya.

The Paleo diet doesn't have an issue with good fats (e. g. eggs, avocado, fat from fish--which is incredibly good for you!). Not only are fats necessary, they also help increase satiety. And it isn't zero carb--it allows vegetables, which have some carbs.

This isn't to say I think strict Paleo is the way to go, but I don't think it's helpful to mischaracterize it, either.