Question for runners

I've been doing the C25K and just finished W6, so no more intervals for me - yay! I can't say I love running yet but I definitely don't hate it, which 6 weeks ago I would not have said.

Each workout includes a 5min walking warm up. Do I do that forever? What kind of warmups do y'all do? I've been waking up at 5am to roll out of bed, get dressed, and go, so I definitely do need -some- kind of warmup.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I do a 1 min warm up walk, maybe some dynamic stretching but very rarely. Avoid static stretching as it can cause damage. If you really need a warmup, plyos have been recommended to me by every athletic trainer I had through sports in HS and College.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I usually do the warm up from 30 Day Shred in my yard before running. I don't want to walk and screw up my route (just a weird personal preference I have). It's stuff like arm windmills, jumping jacks, "squat and pulls" where you do a half-squat then pull up one of your knees to your chest. That's a good one that opens up my hips before a run. Anything to get your muscles warmed up and the heart rate going a little bit.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I walk for a minute or two or do a slower run to warm up if it's a short run. For longer runs I just start out a little slower. Lately I've been doing my long runs with a friend who lives a half mile from me so I warm up by walking/jogging to his house.

Just see what makes you feel good and do that.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I just run. I start out at whatever pace my body wishes to run when I start.
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    I just run. I start out at whatever pace my body wishes to run when I start.

I do the same exact thing. Lol.
    Oh well for a warm up!
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    I walk from my house to the road.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    I walk for a minute or two or do a slower run to warm up if it's a short run. For longer runs I just start out a little slower. Lately I've been doing my long runs with a friend who lives a half mile from me so I warm up by walking/jogging to his house.

Just see what makes you feel good and do that.

Ditto here.
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Warm up is definitely recommended, esp. as a newer runner. I started C25K Aug 1 and am at Week 7 Day 2 tomorrow. The progression in the training program is to get our bodies used to endurance and to reduce likelihood of injury, so most all references say to warm up--but not to stretch--cold muscles...
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    I always walk to warm up. Maybe just a couple of minutes, but I always walk before and after a run.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    I never warm up going out for a run. Just go easy at the outset.

A warm-up would more important if you are going to do something more intense - intervals or whatever. The shorter the race the longer the warm-up!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    It all depends. I'm older so I am more stiff in the morning compared to when I was younger. I've been running all kinds of distances for over 30 years. Also I'm not as stiff when it's warm out.

It's better to walk or jog and warm up before stretching. You will notice that stretching feels good at that time too, you have to be careful about stretching cold, you can injure yourself and you will feel the difference between the two.

Just do what you need to do, listen to your body, the biggest gift you can give yourself is learning to listen to your body in all things, food, rest, exercise, fatigue, etc.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    I stretch a little and than go. Find what works best for you. Some people have to do a warm up run and stretch before they run. Others can just get up and go.
  • Bump for future info, I am 2 and 1/2 weeks into the C25K with SLIGHT alteration to the running intervals due to a car accident at the beginning of the summer. Any pointers or recommendations/friend requests are welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Older runner, so I'd jog round the block, have to come back to the house get rid of Joggers tummy, then go for my real run. As good as a warm up
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    I personally do a modified version of the TNT warm-up. I add leg raises followed by knee tucks to the mix while on my back. Then I run. I do not agree with the practice of a "light" walk or jog. I did that back in high school track and never understood until college why people seemed to be injured more than I expected (that included me). I recommend a dynamic warm-up and then you can begin your workout. There are TONS of good dynamic warm-ups. Make sure the one you choose covers all muscle areas that will be used in your workout. A typical dynamic warm-up set will take between 5-12 minutes.

HOWEVER, if you are still feeling like you are not loose after a dynamic warm-up, following up with a short walk or light job, and THEN doing a couple static stretches will help. I tend to this extra warm-up and stretching on weeks where I am putting in lots of mileage in addition to biking, swimming, and strength training.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I do some dynamic stretches and then walk from my house to the main road (2-3 minutes total)
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    I walk for 1-2 mins 'on my way' to my run...I usually use that time to adjust my music...lol

I stretch after my run only. (unless my hamstrings get tight during my run but this rarely happens anymore)

Happy running!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I personally do a modified version of the TNT warm-up. I add leg raises followed by knee tucks to the mix while on my back. Then I run. I do not agree with the practice of a "light" walk or jog. I did that back in high school track and never understood until college why people seemed to be injured more than I expected (that included me). I recommend a dynamic warm-up and then you can begin your workout. There are TONS of good dynamic warm-ups. Make sure the one you choose covers all muscle areas that will be used in your workout. A typical dynamic warm-up set will take between 5-12 minutes.

HOWEVER, if you are still feeling like you are not loose after a dynamic warm-up, following up with a short walk or light job, and THEN doing a couple static stretches will help. I tend to this extra warm-up and stretching on weeks where I am putting in lots of mileage in addition to biking, swimming, and strength training.

Disagree all you want, but the bottom line is we are all an experiment of one. What works for one, may not work for another. I've done dynamic drills before running and then stopped doing them and have seen no differences. For me, right now, they are unnecessary. More than likely, all those injuries you saw in HS and college were overuse injuries from doing more than those bodies were capable of doing and doing it too fast.
  • jojo98mu
    jojo98mu Posts: 20 Member
    I have a favorite slow song that is first on my playlist, I just run slow through that song and then pick up my pace.

This also works to keep me from going out to fast when I'm running a race.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    I don't warm up, no stretching, nothing. BUT...................... What works for me might not work for you. I encourage you to try different things. If things have been all good walking for you warming up for 5 minutes before your run then continue on with it. Why fix something that is not broken?

Best of luck and happy running~!!