Chicken, Chicken, and more Chicken!

Replies

• My favorite way to cook chicken is to bake it in the oven covered in Cream of Chicken Soup.....Yum.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    for some variety, i think that pork is just as lean,
    if not leaner,
    than chicken. Getting a low calorie BBQ sauce, and throwing them in the oven, or on the grill, is 1 of many many easy ways to cook porkchops.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    bump for later
  • cheergirl1993
    cheergirl1993 Posts: 137 Member
    bump
  • marinate it in jamacain jerk sauce and grill it ..omg deeelish over a bed of brown rice
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    bump!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Chicken is one of the most versatile meats. Google "chicken recipes". I'm certain you'll find a multitude of ideas. Lots of healthy cookbooks available as well. If you can follow directions, you should never be bored with it.

My favorite super easy ways are: sauteed with onions and peppers, tortilla pizza, tacos or stir-fry. I've even added the sauteed chicken into pilafs made with wild rice or barley (throw in some veggies and it's a healthy one-dish wonder).

Happy cooking!
  • Trying some of these this weekend!
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    My new favorite way is to put about a pound and half of tenders in the slow cooker with La Choy Orange Ginger Sauce/Marinade. Cook on low 4 -6 hours - delish! Nothing else needed. Yum.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    bump
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    buffalo chicken wraps... i eat variations of this several times a week. low cal, cheap, and super-easy.
    nom nom nom.
    in fact, i just had it for lunch. =)

270692_10151009930861533_430922070_n-1.jpg
  • Bump
  • foslisa
    foslisa Posts: 8 Member
    bump
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    umping this to get all these great recipes...thanks everyone... Now, I starving!
  • My old way of cooking it was my favorite. Throw it in crockpot (frozen if needed), add a can of cream of something soup and cook all day. Shred and put on top of mashed potatoes. OMG, I ate this at least 3 times a week. So good.

My new way is chicken with salsa cooked all day with no mashed potatoes. Still good. I will either eat plain with a bit of sour cream or I put on corn tortillas (not the crunchy kind the ones that aren't fried).

My other favorite is baking with a piece of bacon or two on top. Then when almost done put a couple of slices of swiss cheese on top and let melt. Very plain but very delicious.

Do you use boneless skinless?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Homemade Chicken Stock (Crockpot or on the Stove)

Ingredients:

•1 whole chicken carcass {You can alternately use a whole chicken with all of the meat on it or smaller pieces of chicken with bone.}
    •8 cups water
    •1 Tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
    •3 stalks of celery, cut in half
    •1 onion, quartered
    •3 carrots, peeled and cut in half
    •3 cloves of garlic, peeled
    •salt and pepper to taste
    •sprigs of fresh rosemary, thyme, and parsley {optional}

Directions:

After the chicken boils, remove any impurities that rise to the top for a nice clear stock. Then reduce temperature to low. Cooking over too high heat also makes stock cloudy.

Place chicken carcass {or chicken pieces, or whole chicken} in a large stock pot. Cover with 8 cups of water and lemon juice or vinegar. Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Skim off any scum that rises to the top. Add celery, onion, carrots, and garlic to the pot.

Simmer covered on low heat for 8-12 hours (or overnight). Low, slow heat is key. ( If you don’t like leaving the stove on all night (or day), you can easily adapt this recipe for the slow cooker. Just make sure to boil raw meat before adding it to the crock pot.

If you boil your bones, you will get a cloudy stock. If you wish to add fresh herbs for extra seasoning, add for the last 30-60 minutes of cooking. When stock is finished, strain out bones and vegetables and discard. {If you were using a whole chicken, be sure to remove so that you can pull off all of the meat when it is cooled.} Use a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth to strain out any small pieces if necessary.

Freezing Directions:
    Cool chicken broth and use in recipes as directed or store in freezer bags. Thaw to use in recipes.

Servings: 8 cups

http://onceamonthmom.com/homemade-chicken-stock/ - Lots of great tips regarding the above at this link. :wink:
  • One that I tried recently - crush pork skins to a powder and add any flavor of seasoning to the mix. Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a zip lock bag and put your chicken breasts in to coat them. Roll them in the powder mix. Place them in a glass cooking pan and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Super yummy!!!
  • For lunch today, I pan grilled chicken breasts, onion and red pepper. Once the chicken was cooked, I added drained/rinsed black beans and a handful of grated cheese, rolled this mixture in whole wheat tortilla shells and grilled on the griddle just long enough to brown the shell and melt the cheese. Served with salsa and sour cream, YUM!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Hummus Crusted Chicken

1. Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Spread chicken with hummus; roll in bread crumbs.

3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 12 minutes or until no pink remains (170 degrees F), turning once. Add more oil, if needed. If crumbs brown too quickly, reduce heat. Serve with lime wedges. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts (Hummus Crusted Chicken )
    Servings Per Recipe 4,Calories 491,Protein (gm) 43,Carbohydrate (gm) 35,Fat, total (gm) 20,Cholesterol (mg) 82,Saturated fat (gm) 3,Monosaturated fat (gm) 13,Polyunsaturated fat (gm) 3,Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 6,Sugar, total (gm) 2,Vitamin A (IU) 49,Vitamin C (mg) 8,Thiamin (mg) 0,Riboflavin (mg) 0,Niacin (mg) 17,Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,Folate (µg) 101,Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,Sodium (mg) 676,Potassium (mg) 714,Calcium (DV %) 101,Iron (DV %) 4,

I imagine this could be done in the oven with tenders as well?? Thanks for the idea! Never would have thought to brush a bit of hummus on the chicken, love the idea of the unique taste with all the varieties of hummus out there these days.
  • dot1212
    dot1212 Posts: 74 Member
    bump