First 5k

Hi, all.

I'm training for my first 5k which takes place on September 22. I can only run about 2 miles right now without stopping and I've been training for a month. Once I reach the 2 miles I feel like I'm going to choke on my esophagus.

I'd like to arrive at the run ready to knock out the 3 miles with no struggle and I'm not sure I'll be successful. I think I've hit a plateau.

Any tips? Thanks!

Sincerely,

Couch to 5k-er

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Try slowing down a little. See if that helps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Slow down and take walking breaks if needed. Your pace should be one at which you're breathing is deep but relaxed, it takes time and practice to nail it.

There are not too many people that could go from not running to running a 5K non-stop in 6 weeks so don't consider walking breaks to be any type of failure.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I have been able to do a 5K since mid June this year. I've been battling a hip issue since the end of July (while training for a 10K). I switched to the Galloway walk/run method. My hip can handle it WAY better, as can my lungs LOL. And the kicker? I'm faster. In July, I did a 5K in about 38:33 and the one I did this past weekend, using the Galloway method, was around 35:30.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Congratz on setting this awesome goal! You CAN do it!

My trainer helped prepare me by having me do intervals- either on a treadmill or pavement to help improve my endurance.
    If on the treadmill, try do 30 second or 1 minutes stints of a lower speed, then faster, alternating for a total of 20- 30minutes to start. (he has me do half of the speed of the run, so if you are running at 6.0, then alternate between that and 3.0.

You can increase you speed and or your total time as you improve!

Good Luck!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    I agree...I started with walking breaks when I got too winded...now I can run (more of a jog-walk) for the whole 5K. It just takes time for your lungs and your muscles to gain strength
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Try slowing down a little. See if that helps.

This! Find a pace that works for you- not a speed :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Walk\Run as much as you need to.

Set and follow your own pace (and not someone elses)

Have Fun!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    What a wonderful goal to set for yourself! If you can run two miles now you will have no problem doing the three at the end of the month. Just do what everyone has told you, slow down a little and walk a little (if you need to). You can do this! Have fun!:smile:
  • My running go-to person told me that Galloway has some youtube pointers that you can take a look at also. My friend mentioned to me possibly taking smaller more controlled strides so as to not make your muscles wear out faster. Dunno, will look Galloway up since he is also the guy that the Disney marathon people recommend too. Good luck on your 5K! :flowerforyou:
  • jlangowski
    jlangowski Posts: 2 Member
    I do not know if this works for everyone but has worked for me in the past. Try interval running. Something like walk for 60 seconds and run for 30 for the whole three miles. But i'd do it every other day and on the days i wasn't interval running I would try pace running for the 3 miles. I got faster over time and was able to run a 5k in 21 minutes. Definitely not the fastest but was good for me. Hope this helps. :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Hi, all.

I'm training for my first 5k which takes place on September 22. I can only run about 2 miles right now without stopping and I've been training for a month. Once I reach the 2 miles I feel like I'm going to choke on my esophagus.

I'd like to arrive at the run ready to knock out the 3 miles with no struggle and I'm not sure I'll be successful. I think I've hit a plateau.

Any tips? Thanks!

Sincerely,

Couch to 5k-er

first of all, YOU ARE AWESOME! secondly, i love your sassy pic. thirdly, i've "run" several races before and each time i feel like my lungs are collapsing mid-run. i have very poor endurance...but i just keep going. i walk if i have to, but dammit, i finish the race! kudos to you for being able to run 2 miles straight!
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    I ran my first 5K in June. I followed a 6 week plan that had me start out by running 5 min, walk 1 min repeat 3 times. The next run was 6 min run, 1 min walk repeat 3 times. gradually increasing the run time until I was running 25 min. without any walking.

For me, I had to run through that point where I wanted to (puke) walk to find my "stride". However, every runner that I have talked to has said to walk if you need to walk. The goal is to keep moving forward on your feet!

Some tips about race day - (I made these mistakes!). Stay to the back of the group! Don't start out running too fast! Run/walk the course before race day!

Good luck!

• I'd like to arrive at the run ready to knock out the 3 miles with no struggle and I'm not sure I'll be successful. I think I've hit a plateau.

Three things:

1) Most people who haven't gone through the full nine weeks of training for C25K (and even many who have) still have to walk part of their first 5K. Don't beat yourself up for having to go slow or even to walk. Your body isn't used to this, and it takes time to build endurance and muscular memory to do it in a way that won't injure you somehow.

2) Running is 90% mental. When you hit your two miles, see what happens if you say "I'm just going to go five minutes more" instead of "Oh, I can't stand this." And after that extra five minutes, go ahead and stop if you feel like you have to. But you might be able to get farther than you think. I did my first half-marathon this year, and that was what kept me going when I hit a wall at mile 11... I just told myself, "All I have to do is two more miles... and that's not so bad."

3) Are you eating anything before you go out? Not right before, but about 1/2 hour to 1 hour before you run, eat something like a banana. It doesn't have to be a lot, but fuel yourself. And when you're done, drink a big glass of chocolate milk or have some other combination of carbs and protein to help your body recover. That's most of what makes you run better the next time--making sure you give your body the right nutrition to hold on to every new gain after each run.

Listen to your body. It will tell you what to do.
  • wendytc
    wendytc Posts: 189 Member
    Great advice!
  • I'm running my first 5K on september 22nd as well!! Wonder if your doing the jailbreak?

1303242.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Hola again!

Thank you ALLLL for your VERY HELPFUL and VERY SUPPORTIVE suggestions! I will definitely take your advice with me on my next run (which will probably be tomorrow night).

Oh and I'm adding each and everyone of you....whether you like it or not. You're all stellar.

Peace. :)>-
  • Nope. It's for a our local hospital in Jersey. Good luck in yours, doll!