Cocoa Powder - Best one

JenRLo
JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
I love chocolate, with a passion, but only "good" (ie, high quality) chocolate. I especially enjoy Lindt 60% dark chocolate bars or Lindt anything. Sadly, I don't eat much chocolate anymore because the calories aren't worth it to me. I just finished reading an article about cocoa helping with hypertension (bit.ly/NrNPZz). One of the doctors recommends cocoa powder because "it delivers the most flavonols with the least amount of calories."

I don't have hypertension but it made me realize that I can probably enjoy my chocolate again! So, any recommendations on brands of cocoa powder that deliver a rich dark chocolate taste? No Hershey's please!

Thanks!

Replies

• JenRLo
    I can't be the only one that enjoys chocolate.......
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Well, you said no Hershey's...their unsweetened powder is my go-to.
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    If you have a Costco's nearby, I highly recommend the Rodelle cocoa. Rich tasting, great value, and 15 calories per tablespoon.
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    I personally like the Hershey's Special Dark Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    I love the Trader Joe's one but it is seasonal so only available in fall/winter.
  • JenRLo
    Wow, guess I'll have to give Hershey's another try! I didn't know they made a special dark one.....
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    I'd be interested to hear more views on this. I just bought this weekend a fairly expensive pack of Mayan Cacao powder that has nothing in the ingredients except pressed and milled cocoa beans. I was so excited looking at the nutritional information. Then I got home and pulled out my almost forgotten tin of Hershey's Special Dark and compared the nutritional information - the Hershey's won out on everything but the protein! That shocked me. The difference seems to be that the Hershey's Special Dark is dutch pressed and the Mayan Cacao is not. The dutch pressing apparently involves adding an alkalai soak to remove more astringent flavors and such. I'm now not sure which one is actually better for me. I know the nutritional info says it's they Hershey's, but my gut says to go with the less processed product for longer term health effects. Help? Advice? Anyone done any research on this topic?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member

This is my favorite as well!
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Sailorwind, I've bought Hershey's for years. Then, I saw the dark and thought it must me better for me. Read the side label. It actually says because it is Dutch processed, it had less antioxidants than their reg cocoa powder!! So I say for health reasons, go with your more expensive, less processed cocoa!!:)
  • Sailorwind
    I think you're right. I read a few articles about it and health-wise natural wins out, though all the ones focusing on baking said use the dutch pressed because it has a milder more of what recognize as "chocolate" flavor.
  • Ghiradelli is double the price of Hershey's but I don't know if that makes it any better. I didn't buy it. I have bought cocoa from Penzey Spices and I like it, but I don't really know if it is any better.it is just more expensive. Penzey spices are great though.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscocoapowder.html
  • Sailorwind
    Ghiradelli is double the price of Hershey's but I don't know if that makes it any better. I didn't buy it. I have bought cocoa from Penzey Spices and I like it, but I don't really know if it is any better.it is just more expensive. Penzey spices are great though.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscocoapowder.html
    Apparently the real difference is between natural and dutch pressed. Which Penzey's one did you buy?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I use Penzey's cocoa...delicious! And I LOVE shopping at Penzey's, so any excuse to go there works for me!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder is what I use - almost daily.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member

THIS! Why no Hershey's? They're awesome. I like my dark chocolate truffles, too... but nothing wrong with Hershey's. :)
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    What do you do with cocoa powder ?
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member

I was going to post this, and I wasn't a Hershey's fan either. This one is the richest I've found, but it's getting hard to find in stores for some reason. If you can't find it, look online, it's worth it.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    What do you do with cocoa powder ?

I make hot cocoa with it, but most people bake with it.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Hershey's also makes a "natural" cocoa that is not dutch processed. I have tried that, Ghirardelli's and Chatfield's, and honestly couldn't tell you the difference between them. As far as how many antioxidants you're getting, I have tried to look that up by brand but haven't been able to find anything.

Also, in most of the studies where they saw health benefits, the subjects were eating lots of chocolate -- from what I read, you need to take about 4 TBSP of cocoa powder a day to see the health benefit.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Yum cocoa powder. I can't use it often but what a treat and definitely not too late in the day. You can look it up on the web there are lots of good brands. :) YUM