Mirena IUD and Weight Gain

I know there are some posts about this topic, but I thought I'd bring it back. I am on my 2nd Mirena IUD and about the only thing I love about it is the convenience of not having to remember to take a pill every day and the fact that I don't get my period at all. After I had my first one removed after the 5 year time period, I tried to go back on the pill and then hated remembering every day to take it, so then thought I must have been imagining my weight gain was from the Mirena and decided to have another one put in. Well now I am revisiting that fact that maybe I am not crazy, maybe my weigh gain (20 lbs in a year!) might have something to do with the Mirena. I've been scouring the internet and have come across so many similar stories and wonder who else is experiencing weight gain after having a Mirena placed and have you had it removed and had any luck losing the weight again?

Replies

• springb513
    springb513 Posts: 41 Member
    I was considering Mirena - I have an appointment in November. I'm very interested in hearing what others have to say about this!
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    I asked my doc about this and he said anything over 3-5 lbs was not due to the Mirena.
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    i was on the injection piled on the pounds.....came off that had my mirena IUD fitted and the pounds started to come off. I cant imagine ever going on the injection again but have to get this one removed....ouchie! lol
  • bump to see what other responses you get as I've considered getting Mirena myself...
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    i have had it for 4 years now & i haven't noticed any weight gain... i haven't noticed any negative side affects at all... i look forward to another one after this one expires :happy:
  • jamacattack
    jamacattack Posts: 94 Member
    You might consider looking into a copper iud like Paraguard. They are good for 10 years but can be removed at any time. No hormones to mess up your body. That's what I'm getting at my next appointment. I hate the pill and saw lots of people unhappy with weight gain on mirena.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    I got the Mirena IUD put in after my second child (she's 2 now) and she was born via c-section. Whether that makes a difference in this or not I'm not sure. but I did gain a little over 20lbs thereafter but my eating was really bad and because I hadn't been able to workout after having her like I usually did I think that's why I gained. A part of me wants to credit it to the IUD but I've lost the weight now and can't seem to gain the little that I want back. So I'm not sure if it was REALLY because of the IUD or just me not taking control of my foods (choices that is). I also think stress played a part of it.

Edited to add: I still have the IUD
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    I have one, and it's great. I haven't gained a single pound, in fact I've lost 41lbs. I spotted for six weeks after getting it inserted, but now everything is great. It MIGHT cause water retention, but I don't know anyone personally who has experienced actual weight gain. (I know a few people on it).
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    im on my 2nd one as well, and i think my loss was normal when i first had it put in..this one has been in for almost 3 years
  • ladyicye50
    ladyicye50 Posts: 34 Member
    This year is my 4th year on Mirena. I did not gain any weight since I've been on it. At the beginning it gave me backaches, but that is it.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    I have Mirena and I do not feel as bloated as I did on the pill. How long have you had the second one in? It takes awhile for your body to get adjusted to it.

As others have said, I think anything over 3-5 lbs is not caused by Mirena. Maybe you should consider the copper IUD instead.
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Well I got an implant 2ish weeks ago and I know my appetite is all over the place. I had lost 3+ lbs each week for the 3 week pre implant then I gained 1.4lbs. To me it is clear cut. However, now that I *know* the source of the issue, it is up to me to come up with a plan to combat cravings and weight gain.
  • I never thought about the mirena causing weight gain, makes sense though. I have had mine for 3 years and I am starting to hate it, I have a period every 2 weeks. I'm getting my removed in Oct. and I will follow up with you to let you know if I see any changes in my weight.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    I've had Mirena for over 10 years and LOVE IT! I didn't gain weight from it - I gained weight from everything BUT this. For those of you considering an IUD - this is the BEST!! I haven't had a period in more than 10 years. How awesome is that!?! And the hormonal highs and lows are practically gone. I highly recommend it.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    I had the Mirena and I gained about 30 pounds with it and had a very hard time shifting that weight off my frame during the 4 years I had it. I had my tubes blocked last January with Essure and the IUD was removed last April after ensuring my tubes were completely blocked. By June last year I had lost the 30 pounds and a few extra. I won't say if it was the IUD but I do know that since being off any kind of hormonal birth control etc, my body has been MUCH happier.
  • deeznutz777
    deeznutz777 Posts: 23 Member
    You might consider looking into a copper iud like Paraguard. They are good for 10 years but can be removed at any time. No hormones to mess up your body. That's what I'm getting at my next appointment. I hate the pill and saw lots of people unhappy with weight gain on mirena.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dont do this! I know everyone is different but I got my period for 2 weeks straight EVERY month! I thought it would get better but it didnt. I had it removed in April and couldnt be happier, now only have my period for 4 days tops. Had a little extra weight gain that was also lost after i had it removed so it was a win win for me
  • I have had both Paraguard and Mirena...I don't know anything about your situation, but Paraguard is recommended for someone that has had kids already...must fyi. That being said...I had the Paraguard for about 2 years and Mirena for closer to 3 and can't say that I noticed any weight gain because of the IUD. I think that for me at least it comes down to life choices. When I had Paraguard, I did gain weight, but I also went from a retail job to a desk job....so it could be that weight gain has nothing to do with the IUD.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I did not gain anything with Mirena, but I have lost every pound I've lost with it.

Of course, as with most things, it affects every body differently.
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    I was able to lose 60 pounds during and immediately after pregnancy. Got that little sucker and gained back 30 but started noticing my hair was breaking off in hand fulls and now that I have 6 months left I'm super emotional around what would have been my period though I never was before. I have been able to lose weight, but it's coming off very slowly and in a nontraditional fashion. I'm debating on getting another in April or just going with the nuva-ring. I love the not having to think about it aspect, but the cons are starting to outweigh the pros.
  • I have had the Mirena IUD in place for a little over 4 years now. I also have worked as an RN in an OBGyn Office for 3 1/2 years. I can tell you that the people that gain weight with a Mirena in place (myself included and I will explain my personal experience) have also had a lifestyle change that contributes to the gain.

When I had my Mirena placed, I was 6 weeks post C-Section delivery of my second child also. The work I was doing at the time was in the OBGyn office and I was on my feet 90% of my working hours. I was eating healthy with very little snacking. I changed jobs 2 years later. During those 2 years, I didn't change my eating/activity habits. My new job is a desk job. I still did not change my eating habits during work hours but now I'm sitting 90% of my time. I put on 12 pounds in 3 months. I realized it and have not put any more on but have now decided to do something to take it off. That is my personal experience - I can totally tell that the weight gain was lifestyle, not Mirena.

When you look at the majority of women who have Mirena placed, they have had a MAJOR lifestyle change (like having a baby!!!). All that to say ... I think it's a complete myth when people blame Mirena IUD for their weight gains.