Office Parties - How do you handle them?

2»

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    The ladies at my office do the same thing, and what kills me is that they all PAID to have weight watchers come in and help them all lose weight. Ice cream socials, muffins, cakes, brownies, lemon bars..they are their own worst enemy! What I find funny is that I've been using this program straight for almost 4 weeks and lost 7 pounds, and they've been doing it for months and have lost maybe..5 pounds. Shame on those ladies for not being concious of your goals. P.S You look amazing, and always carry healthy snacks on you so you don't get put in that situation. You can't eat crap if you're full on good stuff!

^^^^ exactly this....
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Everyone knows I'm on a diet in the first place so this helps... So then they don't try to shove food in your face!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Simple - if I don't want to eat it, I don't eat it. If I want to eat it, I will - if I only want a partial portion that's what I will take.

I cannot stand when people try and push food on me. I get a lot of people that tell me that I'm small and can eat it or that I run so much it won't matter. That's just not the point. If I want delicious junk, I will eat it...if I don't, why would I eat it?

If someone gets off-put by it (and someone always does) then it's on them.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    You could say, "I wish I had known, I just had a HUGE breakfast this morning, do you mind if I wrap up a muffin to take home for dessert later?" Then do what you want with the muffin that you wrap up.... probably give it away or throw it away once you get home.

Or you could eat just the muffin top (half the calories, all of the muffiny goodness) and no one would even bat an eye at this - lots of people only eat the muffin tops. 1 muffin top doesn't equal diet disaster... if anything, it's good to teach yourself self-control by doing little things like this once in a while... you'll learn how to incorporate the occassional "bad" food while still leading a healthy lifestyle overall.
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Are you in the southern US? I live there and food is a strangely huge part of the social stigma here. If you don't eat something someone brings, much less MAKES themselves, it can be seen as a huge affront.

The taking a doggie bag home for later is a great idea. If they still insist you eat, tell them your doctor has you on a strict diet for your heart/kidneys/overall health. Most people don't argue when a *doctor* has made you do something.

Sometimes it is inevitable that you are going to irritate or alienate someone by being conscious of what you put in your mouth. Most of the offense is from that other person feeling like they are providing something that is wrong, or trying to figure out what is SOOO bad about their food. Especially here in the south. It's almost never "oh my! good for you!", and always "there's nothing wrong with my food, so you must be a horrible, rude person".

It can take some getting used to, but people will start to realize that no, you are doing something for yourself and will not waiver. They can be put off all they want... and usually most people will come around and be supportive. The ones who aren't eventually happy for you have their own issues with food that they are probably battling with, and don't like to have it glaring them in the face.

And technically, I guess you COULD have a cheat day, but some people like to cruise and stay on track all the time. Sometimes the effects of having one cheat day are FAR worse than "just one cheat day". Keep at it! You are doing great :)
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    The ladies at my office do the same thing, and what kills me is that they all PAID to have weight watchers come in and help them all lose weight. Ice cream socials, muffins, cakes, brownies, lemon bars..they are their own worst enemy! What I find funny is that I've been using this program straight for almost 4 weeks and lost 7 pounds, and they've been doing it for months and have lost maybe..5 pounds. Shame on those ladies for not being concious of your goals. P.S You look amazing, and always carry healthy snacks on you so you don't get put in that situation. You can't eat crap if you're full on good stuff!

They're bringing all that stuff in so that they can make each other look fatter by comparison so they don't have to work as hard to lose weight... just make everyone else gain weight!
  • JVonni
    JVonni Posts: 34 Member
    How do I handle them? Like a BOSS...Ok, horrible pun...sorry :blushing:

If you don't want it, politely decline. People don't treat healthy lifestyle choices like the plague anymore (some people at least), so I'm sure they'll understand.

For future gatherings, I would suggest just asking if they can order some healthier choices if the company is paying for it. I'm sure their insurance company will thank them. My company is on this big healthy lifestyle kick so they already provide us with some great options (and even vegan options for some). If it's a general potluck, bring a healthier dish and invite others to do the same. I'm sure that there are others who are probably feeling the same way you do.
  • angels960
    angels960 Posts: 35 Member
    I just at four mini muffins, I'm not over my calories yet and although its not exactly in my diet plan they were bought for me at my office and to be honest they tasted REALLY good.

I don't feel bad, I will get back on it tomorrow.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    I will usually grab something that will fit into my day like some nuts and fruit (if there is anything) Then I wait....usually junk food doesn't last long where I work. Sooner or later it will be gone or so picked over that it looks gross and I don't want it anymore. If someone points out that you didn't take a muffin tell them you just ate something and couldn't eat another bite. :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    I eat what is provided in moderation.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    LOL One thing I have learned in my journey is that I am in control of what goes in my body. I am adamant about this now. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE else will ever again be allowed to pressure me to eat. If I do not want birthday cake I won't eat it. I just say no thanks I'm not hungry. However, if I WANT the cake and have allowed for it in my calorie budget then so be it. I can have my cake if I want it.

See the same tools apply in maintenance as during the weight loss phase. Every thing you learn to do now is honing your sword for the battle. The battle goes on for the rest of your life. I still have to keep my blade sharp. But life is FUN now and I don't mind doing it. And yeah, I learned this all over at the Venus Index. I can't help the fact that I'm a walking breathing living billboard for what they created in me.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    If you are the one being celebrated, then it can get tricky....seek out the lower calorie, lower carb options.

If you are bringing a dish, be the person that brings the 'healthy dish'.

Congrats on your new job!
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    There has been lots of sensible advice on here and some of it I may well use when I move job in a month.

However, perhaps you could try one of the following which I guarantee will last you as long as you work there.

1 Tell them you are allergic to nuts and cannot take the risk. This has the drawback that you cannot ever forget this lie because you will be rumbled the first time you walk into the office scoffing a Snickers (It will always be a MARATHON!)

2 Take the muffin and dunk it towards the bin exclaiming "that's all that's good for".

3 Take a bite and immediately start gagging

4 Take a bite and eat with your mouth as wide open as you can get so that they can see how much you are enjoying it.

Hope that helps
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Depending on if I wanted to eat the muffin or not, I would either take one to "save for later".. which means I'd pack it up and take it home to my husband, or I'd take one... eat it and annouce "I will have to pay for this in the gym later" with a smile, then kick up my workout that evening and try to make up for it over the next couple of days.
  • I take one and hang on to it till I get home and give it to my very picky eater daughter and if she only eats a bit that is fine because she needs it more then I do. Plus I am the greatest mom for bringing home some yummies for her! :smooched: