Jillian Michaels "30-Day Shred"

Hi all,

One of my MFP friends has been using the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred dvd and plans to put off weighing in until the first 30 days is up. I think this is a FABULOUS idea, especially since I spend way too much time on my scale anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this. Since I never bothered to record measurements other than weight, what kind of weight loss can one achieve using this program? I'm quite a heavy girl (too heavy to post in a forum, for now) and I find that I often peak after a quick loss of 25 lbs. I'm at 18 lbs. lost right now. I'm hoping this 30-Day Shred will be able to help me break through that plateau.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Zoelesley
    Zoelesley Posts: 37 Member
    I just started the 30ds last night and i took my measurements and before pictures but i don't plan on doing it again till the end, i think i'd get too discouraged if i checked too often. if you go to the search tool and search 30 ds results you'll see some amazing results with pictures that people have had, its truly inspirational, and a huge motivation for me.

Hope this helps, good luck.
  • jccst9
    jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
    I have progress pics, a whopping two sets to be exact. One set from 8/14/12 and one from 9/1/12. Maybe I should take new ones on the day I start the 30ds. Thanks!
  • Hey!
    I am actually currently doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day, my friend had done it before me and she lost 10 pounds. I think was also adding in Cardio through out the week. But i bet it will for sure help you break through! It is a great mix up, just push through it and don't give up :)
  • I just started today. That is a great idea to do measurements. I need to do that tomorrow. I found push ups the hardest. Good luck all. I pray it is worth it. What weight are the weights you all are using?
  • I'm using it to try and break through a plateau too - only on day 3, so not sure yet! (though I did have a sneaky peak at my waist measurements and I'm already done a couple of cm, though that could be to do with the time of month). I'm using 5lb weights at the moment, since my upper body strength is best described as noodley, but hoping to move up to 10lb by the end of the 30 days, and then get started on some serious weight training. :sad: :sad:

I would def. recommend recording your measurements, waist, hips, thighs and what have you, as I've seen a lot of people say they've lost more inches that pounds. The first couple of days are a killer, but I really looked forward to doing it tonight, though I'm glad it's my rest day tomorrow! :bigsmile:

Feel free to add me if you want someone whose doing it at the same time!
  • ColtyHan
    ColtyHan Posts: 59 Member
    When you start a new excercise program, it is common to maintain or gain weight at first. Your muscles will hold onto water and glycogen at first. After your body adjusts to the new program, it will release the extra water and you will start to lose weight. A lot of people on 30DS say they don't lose weight until 2-3 weeks into the program (depending on how many times a week they do it)
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Great idea. I've lost a measly 2 lbs in 2 weeks, but I've also lost 9 inches!

Measure measure measure! :flowerforyou:
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    I second the measure comment. I didn't lose very many pounds when I did 30DS (only like 3-4), but I lost 4 inches off my waist alone. It is really a great workout for tightening up your body, even if you still have a ways to go to your goal, like I do.
    Enjoy the workout!
  • alyson513
    alyson513 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm starting today and I am super nervous, I heard its mega hard!!!
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    I just started Level 2 today. I decided to do 10 days of each level for the month of September. So far, so good. Love the results thus far. I weigh in once a week, and I lost 2.2 pounds during week 1. (Mind you, I am counting every calorie and not eating refined sugars or artificial sweeteners.) I also take pictures each weigh-in day. As if the weight loss weren't motivation enough, I feel AWESOME. This is a great workout...you just gotta stick with it. I am NOT in shape by any stretch (starting weight 197.5) and I was able to fully complete Level 1 after about 6 days. I cannot stress enough how important it is not to give up on this workout. You can do it!

I say weigh in once a week and take pics. It has proved very motivational for me. AND, sounds corny, but I put a BIG FAT "X" on the calendar for each day I complete. I can't wait to see my full month of September with an "X" on every day!!!!

Good luck to you!
  • jjocampbell
    jjocampbell Posts: 1 Member
    I did the 30 day shred for 30 days straight, starting on June 7th. In one month, without following JM's diet plan (but counting calories here on mfp), I lost 10 pounds. Along with the 30 day shred, I also did one hour of water aerobics. After the 30 days was up, I continued with counting calories, water aerobics, and doing the 30 day shred about 3-5 days a week (mixing up the different levels). I lost 3 more pounds. In all I have lost 13 pounds, and 3 inches off of my hips. I went from a size 12 to a size 9 in jeans.

7 days ago I started Jillian Michaels "Ripped in 30", hoping to kick these last 5-10 pounds. In one week, doing the Ripped in 30, walking 3-4 miles five times a week, and counting my calories, I've lost one pound. Hopefully in 3 more weeks, I'll have reached my goal! :)
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    First time doing the 30DS I was 208 (ish). I did it 30 days straight, 10 days each level. I didn't follow any special diet, other than count my calories (and cut out crap) and I didn't do any additional exercise. Just The Shred.

I lost 14.5 pounds and 8.75 inches. Its great! It is hard, but it is only for 20 minutes so push yourself!

You can do it! Good luck! :-)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    I weigh every day, but log it once a week. I found I gained weight while doing the shred and got super bored with it fast. However, I did lose 4-5 inches in 8 days.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    I've done it before, but I was nearly at goal anyway at that point. So I didn't really lose any weight at all, but I could definitely tell my strength was improved, and my fitness too. It's a great all round program. It doesn't burn that many calories, but you can always do two back to back to up that figure if you want to. It gets you sweating!
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    I just started today! I'm planning on doing it every day, with some extra non 30DS workouts in as well. Putting away the scale is a great idea..I've been looking at it too much!
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    I loved 30DS. The first time I did it I toned right up. I am now starting again. Its a really good program. I suggest doing more of a warm up and cool down than she does in the video, as I dont think its enough. If you are not used to exercise, you may find yourself really sore. Its ok to take a day off, but if you do sub in a good 30 min walk. It will help the soreness and stiffness, while allowing you to recover and still get some exercise in. I took a day off in each level, just to recover a little. If you get through that and want to keep going, Ripped in 30 is a good follow-up.

Currently I do the video and take the dog for a good 30 min walk each day.
  • Do3w7
    Do3w7 Posts: 17 Member
    How is the 30 -Day Shred entered for exercise /calories burned. Today was my first day doing level 1 and had a hard time hopefully that will get better.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    I enter it as circuit training.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Log it as circuit training. Many people don't lose much weight but it really helps to tone up and lose inches. I definitely suggest measuring at the beginning and end. If you want more weight loss, add a separate cardio routine a few times a week. I am almost finished it for the second time and need to find something else as I love doing dvd's.
  • I love the 30DS and the other dvds - but as probably mentioned stick more with inches than lbs/kilos .... you do gain muscle and most people are dissapointed with results.

The first time i did it I lost 4kg in the month and couldn't see any physical difference, I look back at the before and after photos now a year later and think I must have been crazy! you can see the muscle in those pics. !