No eating after 7pm?

Replies

• margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    For some, the "no eating after 7pm" rule is to help with mindless couch potato and or computer munching.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    For some, the "no eating after 7pm" rule is to help with mindless couch potato and or computer munching.

Computer munching? I guess it would have to be an Apple?
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Personally, I don't eat dinner until 7.30pm. I deliberately eat later so that I feel full until after I'm asleep. If I said no eating after 7pm, I'm sure I would wake up in the middle of the night starving hungry!
  • I exercise early morning and find eating later on an evening gives me more energy for my morning workouts. I struggle to do my running in the mornings if I don't have a late night snack. I personally don't believe in the 'don't eat after a certain time of night' rule. Just stick within your recommended allowances and don't worry about what time of day you're eating.
  • Actually, it's true about not eating after 7pm, but it's actually based on UK time. For example, I live on the east coast of the US, and the UK is 5 hours ahead of me. If I eat after 2PM, I will surely gain weight.
  • I try not to eat after 7:30ish, but just because it helps me sleep better.:smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I eat when I'm hungry. Body doesn't know or care what time it is when you eat.

Surely it must make some difference if you have a big meal and go to sleep directly afterwards? My thinking is that I rarely exercise after my evening meal and sometimes eat very late so I don't burn any calories before bed. If this doesn't have any adverse affect, fair enough. Just interested in others opinions.
    Why wouldn't you burn any calories? You burn calories 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, not just when you exercise.
  • Because the times food is available to me are restricted (university dining halls), I usually eat dinner around 4:30 pm. I don't eat much after that besides maybe an apple if I'm super hungry. I haven't really noticed any change in weight loss. To me, food is food, whether it's eaten at 4:30 pm or 10:00 pm.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    I only stop eating at 8pm because I usually go to bed by midnight and I have thyroid meds to take.

If I didn't have meds, I would probably do the same thing. Not because of dieting myths or anything, but because I hate getting up at night to go pee.
  • I finish work most nights at 10pm and eat when I get home and Im losing fine, i remember being told once not to eat after six but ive since found out it really doesnt matter
  • I haven't eaten after 7pm in a very very long time and I had good success with it. Most of the time people only eat after 7 to snack, cut out the snacks and the weight will come off :)
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    According to the p90x nutrition guide you shouldn't eat three hours before bed. So whatever time you go to bed back it up three hours and don't eat after that time. :)

This is correct! its more for the sake of digestion. if i eat late I saty up later but everyone is different so what works for one wont work for another just one of those things. plus I dont get home till after 6pm so would be hard to get a meal in before 7pm....its really about making it work for your lifestyle
  • buckeye213
    buckeye213 Posts: 52 Member
    I have heard both sides, do not eat after 6 or 7 pm, then I have heard does not matter if you eat late just depends what you eat. It is always better to frontload your diet eat as much as possible through out the day so you hopefully will not be hungry after dinner.
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    My health plan is 7am 10am 12pm 4pm 7pm and just before bed. But it is WHAT you eat not WHEN. The night snack is minimal with no sugar intake but the exercises im doing plus a LOT of water 4 cup first thing when i wake up, 2 breakfast 1 snack 2 lunch 2 at dinner one with snack (with expections either water, black coffee (eww), or tea. NO SUGAR SUBS! Flavor your water with lemon thats it. This is like cleansing and metabolism cycling. I tend to work out in the afternoon so the afternoon snack is generally a protien shake. the WATER is what keeps the system flowing.
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    I never eat after 5:30-6ish at the latest, my philosophy is that when we sleep metabolism slows down and body naturally more focused on mending than digesting. In the past I did notice that I lost weight faster when i had a cut off time, if I am absolutely starving after last meal I will grab a handful of nuts and call it good, high in protein, harder to digest so it sustains me longer.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    It makes a difference in that you are no longer consuming any further calories for the day and you won't go to bed with a full belly either, which helps some people sleep.

I generally try not to eat anything more after 7 PM since I go to sleep around 10 PM, but if I needed more calories for the day, I would do it without hesitation. I usually consume my calories for the day by 7 PM anyway, so this isn't an issue.

It's a good rule to help you not eat more calories when you have already eaten your alotted calories for the day. Don't use it to maintain starvation mode though.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Actually, it's true about not eating after 7pm, but it's actually based on UK time. For example, I live on the east coast of the US, and the UK is 5 hours ahead of me. If I eat after 2PM, I will surely gain weight.

Yes you lose out there but you gain on the dollar/pound conversion rate so:

With the rate currently at 0.62, you can consume 1000 calories to every 620 that we can here in UK
  • deanna_bond
    My health plan is 7am 10am 12pm 4pm 7pm and just before bed. But it is WHAT you eat not WHEN. The night snack is minimal with no sugar intake but the exercises im doing plus a LOT of water 4 cup first thing when i wake up, 2 breakfast 1 snack 2 lunch 2 at dinner one with snack (with expections either water, black coffee (eww), or tea. NO SUGAR SUBS! Flavor your water with lemon thats it. This is like cleansing and metabolism cycling. I tend to work out in the afternoon so the afternoon snack is generally a protien shake. the WATER is what keeps the system flowing.

to clarity just before bed is probaly like 7-8 pm. The times are a guidline not specific every two to three hours or so just the bulk of the carbs eating is between 10 and 4pm
  • deanna_bond
    i'm not home and done with my workout until 8 so i dont have dinner til 8:30 or 9 so i dont think this would work for me. hasnt affected my progress. i just eat healthy whole foods and keep it within my net calorie goals

exactly
  • If it makes YOU feel better not to eat after 7 than dont, but for me, as a college kid, I eat WHEN I'm hungry, no matter what time. I have insanely crazy hours and study to even more insane hours, my body doesn't care when I eat as long as I eat. Calories can't tell time. Some people don't sleep well on a full stomach and some can't sleep on an empty stomach. I personally am going to eat when my body tells me to whether its 7pm or 3am.