Ballet - Bad for "Big" Girls...

So I was starting to feel better about my body. I started adult ballet classes this week (I'm 28) and having loved it as a kid, it's awesome to be back. But putting on a leotard, tights, and little black shorts and looking in the mirror was kinda rough. I'm 5'8" and 161, and the other ladies in class were shorter and really thin.

I was ordering a leotard online just now and looked at the size chart. Get this. Size Adult XXL is comparable to an adult clothing size 7-8 and a weight of 150-160lbs, and that's the largest it will go. Ouch :(

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    I took ballet in college and got a pink wrap around ballet skirt to go around my waist to cover my thighs.

Sizing is annoying! I'm a size 4 at Ann Taylor but an 8 at H&M.
  • Britt_Duffy
    Britt_Duffy Posts: 40 Member
    Eff that! I played roller derby for 2 years in fishnets and hotpants. I'm 5'5" and I was anywhere between 155-175.

Love your body and how it looks, no matter what your size! If YOU feel good wearing it, then you'll probably LOOK good wearing it!

Who says you have to wear a leotard anyways?!
  • emarific
    emarific Posts: 12 Member
    I don't know how strict your particular class/teacher is, but the adult ballet classes I've taken don't require tights/leotards like when we were kids. I ususally wear 3/4 length pants and a regular workout top that are form-fitted enough for the teacher (and me) to see my body.
  • askcupid117
    askcupid117 Posts: 126 Member
    I think you probably dont realize how great you look in your outfit. I bet there are other girls in that class who are thin who wish they had your curves. People pay good money to buy implants to have curves just like yours. :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    who cares?? I hail you for doing what you like to do. Get after it!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Thank you guys :flowerforyou:

The instructor said we can wear what we are comfortable in as long as it's tight, but she said she prefers that we wear a leotard, tights, and ballet skirt. I didn't have a skirt so I wore the shorts instead and said I would get a skirt for next week. I am going to two different studios. That one is kind of a hardcore ballet studio. The place I'm going to tonight is more of a general dance studio and the instructor told me that most people wear yoga pants/capris and a cami top.

I love it enough that I'm definitely not quitting just because of body image issues. It just was kind of a bummer. I need to channel it into more motivation to keep doing what I'm doing!
  • arioso179
    arioso179 Posts: 2 Member
    I totally feel your pain... I came back to ballet as an adult and still groan when I SQUEEZE into the XXL tights and leotard. How about a little vanity sizing in the ballet world, huh? I'm sure the waifs in my class wouldn't mind being an XXXS. :) Capezio is the worst offender. Balera is a little better.... I definitely combine workout tops and hot pants or leggings sometimes (as others have suggested), my teacher is pretty flexible about our attire. Good luck and keep it up, it's an amazing workout!
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    I wish I had the courage to put on a leotard and take a ballet class... you are awesome for doing both.
  • alpine1994
    I totally feel your pain... I came back to ballet as an adult and still groan when I SQUEEZE into the XXL tights and leotard. How about a little vanity sizing in the ballet world, huh? I'm sure the waifs in my class wouldn't mind being an XXXS. :) Capezio is the worst offender. Balera is a little better.... I definitely combine workout tops and hot pants or leggings sometimes (as others have suggested), my teacher is pretty flexible about our attire. Good luck and keep it up, it's an amazing workout!

Right?!? Or at least keep sizing comparable with regular clothes S,M,L sizing. I'm usually a M or L! It's just mean.

I am kind of relieved to go to tonight's class with the more relaxed dress code.

Do you go to class once per week?
    I wish I had the courage to put on a leotard and take a ballet class... you are awesome for doing both.

I was SO nervous before my first class. Like shaking, and seriously considering turning around and going home. I'm so happy I didn't. Life's too short to miss out on the stuff you really want to do, thunder thighs or not! :)
  • eissak
    eissak Posts: 54 Member
    I went back to my ballet studio last year (12 years later and at 26 years old) and the first time I put on that leotard and tights, it was rough, for sure. I'm 5'4 and was pushing 175 at the time. A year later I'm 150, and while the leo still isn't flattering, I love dancing and it's been such a boost to slim down. I'm going back on pointe this year (literally bought my shoes yesteday!), so that's more motivation to drop weight. I'm in classes with high school girls that are all stick thin, but I'm me, and I just try to be the best me I can be! haha!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    So I was starting to feel better about my body. I started adult ballet classes this week (I'm 28) and having loved it as a kid, it's awesome to be back. But putting on a leotard, tights, and little black shorts and looking in the mirror was kinda rough. I'm 5'8" and 161, and the other ladies in class were shorter and really thin.

I was ordering a leotard online just now and looked at the size chart. Get this. Size Adult XXL is comparable to an adult clothing size 7-8 and a weight of 150-160lbs, and that's the largest it will go. Ouch :(

Don't feel too bad...I had a similar situation. I ended up making a snip in my pink tights so it wouldn't dig into me...leotard isn't too bad...the little black skirt helps cover my areas I'm uncomfortable about...

I still enjoy myself even if my muscles kill afterward. It's a great workout!
  • arioso179
    arioso179 Posts: 2 Member
    I go to class once a week now... I'm also taking pilates and have just started yoga, both of which are helping my flexibility and balance and improving my technique in class. I'd love to take 2 classes, just with the gym membership and all it gets kinda expensive!

I'm a M or L in street clothes too, I KNOW there are legitimately plus sized dancers out there rocking it, but have no idea where they buy their leotards! Anyway, good luck!!!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I'm not sure if that will work but why wouldn't you be able to ware leggings? they come in all different kind of sizes, are form fitting and comfortable. For the tutu's find a friend that knows how to sow and ask her to make you some. I hope that helps
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    When I was a kid, I was told that I would never be a ballerina because of my large frame. :laugh:

I went for soccer instead, then other contact sports and eventually ran long distance track. (I was never a sprinter either.)

But ultimately, I say do what you love and eff the rest! :flowerforyou:
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Not just bad for older girls, my 12 year old daughter has been dancing since she was 3 and although I know in my head that her body shape will probably prevent her from ever dancing with a professional company my heart knows that she loves it enough to try! Every time she pulls on tights and a bodysuit I cringe inside because I'm aware of all the little skin & bones girls in her class are probably staring at her rounded tummy and padded thighs. But I'd never let on to her that I feel that way because I want her to be proud of her body and to do what she loves and above all keep moving! She is a beautiful dancer and works her *kitten* off (and maybe if she keeps it up she'll beat the gene pool odds!). She is my inspiration and maybe someday I'll be brave enough to go to an adult ballet class - right now the best I can do is a hip hop class where the only requirements are comfy, loose clothing!!
  • alpine1994
    Not just bad for older girls, my 12 year old daughter has been dancing since she was 3 and although I know in my head that her body shape will probably prevent her from ever dancing with a professional company my heart knows that she loves it enough to try! Every time she pulls on tights and a bodysuit I cringe inside because I'm aware of all the little skin & bones girls in her class are probably staring at her rounded tummy and padded thighs. But I'd never let on to her that I feel that way because I want her to be proud of her body and to do what she loves and above all keep moving! She is a beautiful dancer and works her *kitten* off (and maybe if she keeps it up she'll beat the gene pool odds!). She is my inspiration and maybe someday I'll be brave enough to go to an adult ballet class - right now the best I can do is a hip hop class where the only requirements are comfy, loose clothing!!

That's great that she loves it and isn't afraid! It's funny because I was dancing when I was her age, and I was chubby. Usually I was one of the biggest girls in the class, but it never bothered me, and it never registered that girls might be looking at me and thinking it. It's like I developed a self-consciousness into adulthood that I never had as a kid or even a teenager. Strange how it happens that way.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    I'm glad my studio is very laid back. People are wearing baggy gym clothes! I'm loving my shorty unitard (slims middle buldge without digging in gut), convertable body tights (slims more buldge, again no digging) and silly t-shirt combo. My first class I wore standard gear in case she was going to be strict. Since then I have been modifying to find my comfort level without sacrificing much else.
    In any case, the fact that you made it inside a studio is fantastic. Few people (normies) realize how mentally difficult it is to make such a leap (heehee). It took me a couple of months of really weighing the issues. The issues being my brain, lol. So glad you're dancing.

LET'S ALL DO IT!!