Tam's Story!! :)

TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
I think a lot of people know my story, but here goes!

I was a fit and healthy and active child. I never had a weight problem until I got closer to puberty. Since then, it has been a battle of epic proportions! (Or is that portions! LOL!)

I was one of those girls that developed fast and had no idea what to do with the new body given to me. My metabolism and body changed but I didn't have the knowledge as a 7th grader to change my habits along with it. So, therein began my struggles with my body.

Anyway, that began a series of yo-yo dieting. I would treat myself badly....by starving myself or taking diet pills that had my heart racing. I did all of those *quick fix* things that just don't work. The reason they don't work is because you don't learn anything about your body to keep it up. And, I have been known to be a person to eat out of sadness or boredom too, which had to change as well!

I have gotten down pretty small and gotten back up pretty big. Just because I was constantly doing things that would work short-term. I'm not sure what changed but this past September, I just remember thinking "Enough is enough!!! I CAN do this. I CAN be healthy. I CAN do this forever! Because I am worth it and because I deserve it!". So I got to work. Not only on my eating habits but also on how I viewed a lot of things around me.

This is the first time I just lowered my calories enough (not too much) and exercised regularly at the same time. I also started drinking mostly water and eating foods that were good for me and would fuel my body. I stopped being afraid of fat and instead focused on the good fats. I basically started to view food as a friend rather than an enemy. As something to contribute to my overall health rather than take away from it.

We have so many tools that God has given us to keep us healthy and I didn't want to waste them anymore. I also wanted to do whatever was in my power to make myself as healthy as I possibly could. If God has another plan for me, so be it...but if there is anything I can do for myself, I will do it.

My grandmother (my moms mom) died at age 49 and my own mother died at 50 (in 2000). They had some issues that I don't have but I see those numbers in my head and I am DETERMINED to beat them and live a long long life. I don't want to die because I didn't take care of the body that God granted me. I know they are watching over me and giving me the strength and will to beat this! Having them in my corner is a huge incentive!

So anyway, I am down 83 lbs since September and I am confident that this is truly a change for good. I am just done being overweight and tired. There is too much life to live and I want to enjoy every minute, especially for my little boy and his future family. I want to be one of those hot 70 year olds that you are convinced is only 50!! ;) HAHA! I feel like I have discovered the secret to living a healthy, fit and active life.

I still have some weight to lose but I am looking and feeling better than I have in a long time (both physically and emotionally). And I am looking to possibly give back. I want to go back to school to get my B.A. in Health Sciences and become a nutritionist. I want my story and the knowledge I have gained to help others and help the battle of obesity be conquered once and for all!

Thanks for listening!
Tami

Replies

• TamTastic
    I think a lot of people know my story, but here goes!

I was a fit and healthy and active child. I never had a weight problem until I got closer to puberty. Since then, it has been a battle of epic proportions! (Or is that portions! LOL!)

I was one of those girls that developed fast and had no idea what to do with the new body given to me. My metabolism and body changed but I didn't have the knowledge as a 7th grader to change my habits along with it. So, therein began my struggles with my body.

Anyway, that began a series of yo-yo dieting. I would treat myself badly....by starving myself or taking diet pills that had my heart racing. I did all of those *quick fix* things that just don't work. The reason they don't work is because you don't learn anything about your body to keep it up. And, I have been known to be a person to eat out of sadness or boredom too, which had to change as well!

I have gotten down pretty small and gotten back up pretty big. Just because I was constantly doing things that would work short-term. I'm not sure what changed but this past September, I just remember thinking "Enough is enough!!! I CAN do this. I CAN be healthy. I CAN do this forever! Because I am worth it and because I deserve it!". So I got to work. Not only on my eating habits but also on how I viewed a lot of things around me.

This is the first time I just lowered my calories enough (not too much) and exercised regularly at the same time. I also started drinking mostly water and eating foods that were good for me and would fuel my body. I stopped being afraid of fat and instead focused on the good fats. I basically started to view food as a friend rather than an enemy. As something to contribute to my overall health rather than take away from it.

We have so many tools that God has given us to keep us healthy and I didn't want to waste them anymore. I also wanted to do whatever was in my power to make myself as healthy as I possibly could. If God has another plan for me, so be it...but if there is anything I can do for myself, I will do it.

My grandmother (my moms mom) died at age 49 and my own mother died at 50 (in 2000). They had some issues that I don't have but I see those numbers in my head and I am DETERMINED to beat them and live a long long life. I don't want to die because I didn't take care of the body that God granted me. I know they are watching over me and giving me the strength and will to beat this! Having them in my corner is a huge incentive!

So anyway, I am down 83 lbs since September and I am confident that this is truly a change for good. I am just done being overweight and tired. There is too much life to live and I want to enjoy every minute, especially for my little boy and his future family. I want to be one of those hot 70 year olds that you are convinced is only 50!! ;) HAHA! I feel like I have discovered the secret to living a healthy, fit and active life.

I still have some weight to lose but I am looking and feeling better than I have in a long time (both physically and emotionally). And I am looking to possibly give back. I want to go back to school to get my B.A. in Health Sciences and become a nutritionist. I want my story and the knowledge I have gained to help others and help the battle of obesity be conquered once and for all!

Thanks for listening!
    Tami
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    What kind of exercise do you do? Thanks for your story!
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Great story - you are truly an inspiration to alot of people here.
    :flowerforyou:
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Great story Tam. Very motivating and well written. Thanks for sharing.:flowerforyou:
  • jenndf
    jenndf Posts: 29 Member
    You are a true inspiration. Thank you so much for this story.
    I, too, am interested in the type of exercises you do.
    Thanks for sharing.
    CONGRATS!!!!

:drinker:
  • TamTastic
    What kind of exercise do you do? Thanks for your story!

Right now, I do 4 days at the gym. I am on the elliptical. I have slowly worked up and now do an hour (55 min, random setting, level 18 + 5 min cool down), which usually burns around 700 cals. The machine says it's over 800, but I bring the number down a bit due to the inconsistencies. I also do some strength-training there as well.

On off gym days, I try to get in walks and other calisthenics at home (leg lifts, squats, lunges), whenever I can. I love to hike too and have been doing that more and more. Trying to get my son used to the backpack!! But, he adds another 24-25 lbs to my workout while hiking, which is great!

I just try and be as active as I can.
  • spartysue
    spartysue Posts: 29
    Great story! Congratulations! You are going to make it! I would love to hear more about your journey!

Sue
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Hey hun, It was nice to read the whole story! I knew u had lost alot but didn't know of all the past behind it :) You're awesome! I hope to be where ur at someday soon :) Keep it up! I know u will
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    what a wonderful story! you are a great inspiration and you look fantastic!!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Now that's inspiration!!
    You're awesome Tiramisu!!!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Here's to being babes at 70!

P.S... Inn Crowd represent!! Woot woot!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Tam, you are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when i'm feeling fat, you'll never know dear how much you inspire me, please don't take my tam tam away! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Seriously, you are one of the first people that inspired me on MFP and I always look up to you during my weightloss journey!
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Awesome story! Thank you for sharing! You really are an inspiration to us all here on MFP!!! :bigsmile:

Congrats on the wonderful weight loss!!! WoW!!! :flowerforyou:

:heart: KB
  • TamTastic
    Thank you all for the kind replies. I absolutely love that I inspire you. And if my story can, in any way, keep you focused and help you reach your goals, I am truly blessed and honored to have done so. I have confidence in all of you.

:heart:
    Tami
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    :flowerforyou: You are truly amazing my friend!!! I am blessed to have you as one of my new best buddies and cherish that sooo much!!:heart::happy:

Reading your story made me get all misty eyed girl, I'm sooo very proud of you!!! and shoot it gives us one more reason to get together and celebrate!!:drinker:

you rock my friend!!! just love ya to pieces!!!:heart:

So Blanche...whenever you need me...you call me I'll be there in a hurry....bags packed ready for MIAMI BABY! lol:glasses: :drinker:

hugs and much love!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    :flowerforyou: And THAT is why I invited you to my friend list:flowerforyou: You are truly an inspiration to me. If you can lose more than 80, maybe I can lose 48. Love you, Tami
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    It's been said before, but you also inspired me when I started on here - you were living proof that THIS PROGRAM WORKS!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Would you be able to give an example day of what you eat? And did you ever have weeks where the scale did not move?
    Thanks!
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Great job!!
  • TamTastic
    Would you be able to give an example day of what you eat? And did you ever have weeks where the scale did not move?
    Thanks!

Well today is a lower cal day because I don't work out. I eat around 1450ish cals on Mon, Wed and Fri. On days I work out, I eat around 1800 cals because I burn a lot.

This morning I had a light breakfast:
    Coffee with sweetener
    1 Thomas Whole Grain English Muffin
    1/2 tbsp peanut butter

Lunch:
    1 cup Amy's Organic Chunky Tomato Bisque (light in sodium)
    (w/ 1 serving oyster crackers)
    1 Morningstar Farms Chick Patty on 1 Fiber One Hambuger Bun
    (I put some Franks Bufffalo style sauce on for a Buffalo Chick Sandwich)

Afternoon Snack:
    Fiber One Oats N Chocolate Chewy Bar

Dinner:
    Not for sure yet, but maybe chicken, coated in honey crunch wheat germ, Near East Brown Rice Pilaf and Vegetable. It all depends.

Snack: I usually have some light ice cream or 100 cal pack

Days I work out, there is more food at each meal to get to 1800 cals. Like a whole tbsp of peanut butter or something. I usually have more fruit too. I have strawberries and blackberries a lot these days as a snack. I try and get at least 35 g of fiber in each day too.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I agree with everyone else, you are a true inspiration! I have to start my story over again, or just add to it, seeing as after I lost a substantial amount of weight, we decided to have another baby, I'm one of those people who use pregnancy to eat whatever I want.....that did not work so well!!! So :drinker: here's to chapter 2!!! Good for you, doesn't it feel amazing when you finally wake up?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!