Tired of my Keurig... how's the Nespresso?

I've had a Keurig for almost one year, and it's been decent but I really miss that full-bodied coffee experience you get with expresso-based drinks (in my case, Americanos).

So now I'm thinking of getting a Nespresso. Has anyone tried the Keurig and Nespresso machines? Each machine has rave reviews, but does the Nespresso really taste comparable to an espresso or espresso-based coffee you'd get in a quality coffee shop?

Thanks!

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Buy a regular coffee maker or a french press.

Those pod based things are some bull crap.

But anyways, my boyfriend has a Nespresso at his university and he isn't in love with it. I dont know anything about it, but he's a coffee buff and it's nothing special to him :smile:
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    I agree, buy a french press and good quality coffee, coarse ground, for a good cup of coffee. My sister in law has a nespresso and raves and practically pours it down our throats when we're there. It's decent, but I prefer my real coffee.
  • I have a keurig but use reg coffee with the filter u can buy. I like the convenience of the cups, but little expensive. Why don't u just buy the filter piece and buy ur own coffee?
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    If you are a coffee buff I would say go French Press! Not to mention you can take the whole thing apart to wash it!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    We bought a Keurig about a year ago and don't use it. The pods are expensive and we just never buy them. We can use the same coffee pot and 1 pot of coffee for both of us!

No clue what a Nepresso is lol
  • shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Had the Nespresso machine at work. The coffee was great but the machine didn't last and was expensive to fix.
  • tqoura
    tqoura Posts: 6 Member
    Get an Aeropress. They are fantabulous.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member

But anyways, my boyfriend has a Nespresso at his university and he isn't in love with it. I dont know anything about it, but he's a coffee buff and it's nothing special to him :smile:

those don't do pour espresso shots the OP is looking for

sorry to say, you won't get coffee shop quality from an at-home machine. a 'decent' machine can run you 1000-1500 dollars
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    My mam is a coffee buff she loves strong coffee and she loves the nespresso. They have a good range I like the lattes and the choccochinos and they have different options for black coffee differing in strength. Personally I like it I've had it nearly 2 years never had any problems its very quick to heat up and gets to a decent pressure so you get the crema (froth) on top
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    true story....my Keurig broke before vacation a couple months ago...i forgot to order another one, we came home and the wife was pissed. So i looked online, found the best reviews of instant coffee, went to the store and picked up Nescafe "Tasters Choice"..she loves it. We have counter space back, i don' t have to spend $150 for a coffee maker, and another $30 a month for coffee. Tasters Choice is $8 a month at our rate of 2 tspns per 8oz. And when she wants something fancier, Starbucks is on our way to work...
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member

those don't do pour espresso shots the OP is looking for

sorry to say, you won't get coffee shop quality from an at-home machine. a 'decent' machine can run you 1000-1500 dollars

Use a Moka pot :D
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    I have a Kureig for 3 years and love it.I buy the dark magic or columbian K cup when I want a strong brew. It depends on my mood. Mostly l like the convenience of it. I hate dealing with the grounds. I use a french press for company or more than 1 cup.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 399 Member
    I have a Keurig and a french press.... I do as others have and I grind my own coffee and use a refillable k-cup in my machine. It most definitely yields a better/strong cup when you use your own coffee. I also have my french press. this by far creates a much stronger/better cup of coffee! dont waste your money on another machine and make yourself some REAL coffee!! :drinker:
  • I might be the odd one out, we have 3 nespresso machines, one in my office, one at home and one in my wife's office.
    I love it, I have a Nespresso store near me so coffee is quick and easy to get, it tastes good and you can make so many wonderful drinks with it.
    The usual for me is one espresso in the morning, but on weekends I make all kinds of things with it.

They have a good range of Espresso and if you have the Latissima machine (Home and Wife's Office) it is one touch Latte or Cappuccino with fresh skim milk.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Get an Aeropress. They are fantabulous.

I have one and love it, but mostly only use it on weekends/days off because I'm so rushed in the mornings. Also, I seem to need a lot more coffee grounds for it than I would with other methods.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    I have a keurig but use reg coffee with the filter u can buy. I like the convenience of the cups, but little expensive. Why don't u just buy the filter piece and buy ur own coffee?

I tried that several times but had problems. Either the grounds kept getting into the coffee or the coffee just tasted really weak.

They sell Nespressos at Williams-Sonoma. I wonder if they have one on display and give samples? :tongue: Someone recommended the Chef's Choice Electric French Press; it has good reviews on Amazon for about $89.

Thanks for all the feedback, coffee snobs unite! :drinker: