Any homeschoolers out there?

LokiFae
LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
I know it's a bit preemptive (our son is 10 months old), but my hubby and I are considering homeschooling him. I have a lot of interest in his education and, remembering my own schooling experience, feel like a homeschool environment would be the best for him. Does anybody on here homeschool, and did you like it? Have you found any good resources that you would recommend reading before making the big homeschool decision?

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    I know it's a bit preemptive (our son is 10 months old), but my hubby and I are considering homeschooling him. I have a lot of interest in his education and, remembering my own schooling experience, feel like a homeschool environment would be the best for him. Does anybody on here homeschool, and did you like it? Have you found any good resources that you would recommend reading before making the big homeschool decision?

Thanks in advance!!!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Hey, Loki,
    I have homeschooled all 5 of my kids from birth on, and I now have one at A&M and another one going in the Fall. I can probably answer most of your questions.
  • beautifulbay
    beautifulbay Posts: 159
    I homeschooled my first son up to third grade, we loved it. I had hoped the one on one would be good for his short attention span, but I realized that he needed more than what I could do for him ... I know of a lot of good homeschooling families, they do awesome work with their children, but I flat out didn't know how to do it, up to third grade, I kind of got lost, so now my kids are in school, and that works for us.
    I loved it while I did it, won't regret it, but my own kids are doing better in school. It's one of those things, it either works for you, or it doesn't...but the time you have with your kids is awesome.
    Good luck!!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Our kids are 6 and 7. We are waiting for my husband to finish his college (hopefully in six months) and then investigate further. I did homeschooling myself for my high school years and was finished by 16. My son, in kindergarten, can already read in two languages, knows the basic multiplication and concepts of division and is bored silly with his classes and thus tends to act out (I'm guessing to entertain himself). My second grade daughter has been learning alot, but I'm not thrilled with the newly developed attitude of her current friend and I've seen such a personality change in her this past year. I live in a middle class neighborhood with a very good school, but some of the things I see and hear when I volunteer from these little children's mouths is scary.

I'm still investigating, but in other parents I've talked to, the biggest thing they suggest is making sure that you have other interactive activities other than just the school work, ie field trips, classes such as gym, music, art with other children. We're still investigating and I'll send you what I find if and when i find it. But if you find out anything, please send it my way.
  • beep
    We live in a close-knit community with lots of opportunities. My kids are in the local swim team, and a swim club; and we have a private school type of school (without the high cost) run by parents who are teachers, for enrichment activities, and courses for the teens if the parents do not feel up to teaching algebra and the like. The opportunities are endless. So, my kids got plenty of interaction and have great friends. Their friends are not all homeschoolers (which I think is great) but they are all great kids.

My number one concern has always been "keep my kids on God's team and My team."
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    you might want to look into K12.com. It isn't available everywhere, but is a great deal if you can get it. Online schooling program, free in many areas. They will send you a computer if you need one.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    My siblings and myself were homeschooled by my mom. One of my brothers has gone on to complete his college education and now has a high-paying job in the IT field. I myself have always been more creative, but we all scored high on our SAT's. I loved being homeschooled. I was a Girl Scout, too, and that seemed to have fulfilled my social needs.

My other brother is due to be a daddy any day now (any minute, really!) and they're planning on homeschooling, as well.

Good luck! :smile:
  • beep
    If you want to whet your whistle here's a few websites to start with: www.sonlight.com (very affordable.if you use the library option.....my favorite) www.abeka.com (I also use), the one that was already mentioned K12.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    I was homeschooled until 3rd grade and I think I turned out alright.

My momma says I are smart
  • beep
    Also a great book to get started with: Homegrown Kids

Essentially tells you that all of you are homeschooling parents. We all teach our kids (or should be) basic skills. This is a book that helps you start teaching them effectively from the beginning. And I'm not talking trying to turn kids into savants by cramming them with facts from the moment they speak. I'm talking more practical things like: when your child mispronounces a word, to just repeat the word correctly back to him.... i.e. I want basketti. You said you want spaghetti? Also gives you the how and why to do that instead of telling them, it's not basketti, it's spaghetti. And no baby talk from parents allowed, because they think they are saying what you are saying. If you say what they are saying, it is confusing.

Things like that. First book I read about the foreign subject of homeschooling, which back then sounded pretty radical.
  • beep
    I was homeschooled until 3rd grade and I think I turned out alright.

My momma says I are smart

Did you, Manda! I didn't notice this post!