Fast Food... Wow.

I've been counting calories for some time now and I am usually pretty good at figuring out the calorie count of fast food. But I always try to check on their websites first because you never know.

I love steak n'shake and occassionally order a chicken melt sandwich (they're soooo good), It has 2 slices of sour dough bread, grilled chicken, swiss cheese, 2 slices of bacon and some frisco sauce.

I never though it was that bad and I just looked up the calorie count on Steak n' Shak'es website. It has 936 calories!!! I couldn' believe it, I thought it had around 5 or 6 hundred... but not near a thousand. Geez.

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    I've been counting calories for some time now and I am usually pretty good at figuring out the calorie count of fast food. But I always try to check on their websites first because you never know.

I love steak n'shake and occassionally order a chicken melt sandwich (they're soooo good), It has 2 slices of sour dough bread, grilled chicken, swiss cheese, 2 slices of bacon and some frisco sauce.

I never though it was that bad and I just looked up the calorie count on Steak n' Shak'es website. It has 936 calories!!! I couldn' believe it, I thought it had around 5 or 6 hundred... but not near a thousand. Geez.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I've never heard of that place. Wow, that is amazing but soooooo true. It is incredible the amount of calories some foods have. Sometimes I don't even want to know but it is best to know so we make better choices next time. :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    I believe I saw a Steak n Shake when I was down in SC. It does sound good!! LOL!

I eat very little fast food anymore. I get the fresco style menu at Taco Bell sometimes and get the grilled chicken sandwich at Wendy's and maybe Subway!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    We went to Ohio last weekend, and the kids just had to eat at Steak n Shake....Hubby took them...I wanted nothing to do with that place:laugh:

My sister in law has a calorie counter for fast food restaurants.....there was some very scary things in that booklet :noway: Makes me never want fast food again.
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    At my last Diabetic Nutrition class we were given booklets called Nutrition in the Fast Lane. It has fast food from everywhere in it- Where are Carl's Jr. located? It has White Castles, Dunkin Donuts, Jack in the Box, DQ, Auntie Anne's Pretzels and lots more. I condensed what they have into my own version with what I know I can eat- not much!:grumble:

www.fastfoodfacts.com
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Carl's Juniors are in the California area... they are essentially the exact same thing as Hardee's (if you know what those are). I can't believe so many ppl haven't heard of Steak N' Shake LOL, they have great food, but calorie wise it's one of the worst places to go. I've lived on the east coast, west coast and now I live in Ohio... so I have seen all different kinds of fast food places. They're all pretty much equally evil to the healthy eater LOL.
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    just had to write to this topic
    Just came home from burger king with my son. I honestly haven't been there in ages but he wanted to go. I didn't think I ate that much but I am almost at my total calories for the day and I haven't eaten dinner and breakfast was only yougurt!!!!!!
    I am going to have to go on the threadmil for hours.
  • Aprilxlirpa
    Aprilxlirpa Posts: 46
    When I have a fast food craving I buy the kids meal and get milk instead of soda. You can get a fast food fix for 500 calories. I know 500 sounds high, but not compared to the 900 or so!
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    kid size chicken nuggets are usually one of the best things to get- onion rings instead of fries (small again), salad with no dressing and grilled meat

I have teenagers- I have already learned what to eat when they have the munches.