Thanksgiving Challenge - Fitness Check in ~November 14

Options
NTBoard
NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
edited November 2023 in Challenges
Hello my fellow MFP Thanksgiving Challenge members! How is it going? As it's getting cooler out and darker early are you having a harder time exercising? Or are you successfully reaching your goals? Keep it up! YOU can make it 8 more days!

Yesterday I did 30 minutes of leisurely walking & 30 minutes of vigorous bicycling. As far as the goals I set for this challenge I am over and above my cardio goals but my strength & toning goal (which was only to get in some sort of something 3x a week) isn't happening. We only have 1 tv in the house and it seems like especially when my hubby is gone from 7 am - 1am (he works and then refs or plays hockey later in the evening - we live too far away to come home between) that I am so busy playing with my 1 & 3 year olds and then letting them watch tv so that I can make dinner or some other domestic chore that I never get back to the dvd to put in my workout. When hubby is home it's much easier as HE can play with the boys while I exercise. I suppose I need to learn to do SOMETHING from a book maybe so that I'm not totally slacking in this area. We will see! Any thoughts?

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!! :flowerforyou:
Niccole

Replies

• NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hello my fellow MFP Thanksgiving Challenge members! How is it going? As it's getting cooler out and darker early are you having a harder time exercising? Or are you successfully reaching your goals? Keep it up! YOU can make it 8 more days!

Yesterday I did 30 minutes of leisurely walking & 30 minutes of vigorous bicycling. As far as the goals I set for this challenge I am over and above my cardio goals but my strength & toning goal (which was only to get in some sort of something 3x a week) isn't happening. We only have 1 tv in the house and it seems like especially when my hubby is gone from 7 am - 1am (he works and then refs or plays hockey later in the evening - we live too far away to come home between) that I am so busy playing with my 1 & 3 year olds and then letting them watch tv so that I can make dinner or some other domestic chore that I never get back to the dvd to put in my workout. When hubby is home it's much easier as HE can play with the boys while I exercise. I suppose I need to learn to do SOMETHING from a book maybe so that I'm not totally slacking in this area. We will see! Any thoughts?

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!! :flowerforyou:
    Niccole
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Niccole!

Let me preffice this with saying 1. Wow! You go Girl!, two kiddos all day?!?!? and 2. I do not have any of my own, so you can go ahead and ignore my suggestions :wink:

I have friends who are in your situation, and I know that their best success came from doing yoga, tae bo and pilates tapes with her two kiddos (around the same ages). She had mats for all of them, and then encouraged then to join her (She also child "proofed" the room, and closed att three of them in it while this was going on, so the 14 month would be within eye shot). Both played more than worked out, but they did mimmick her alot and they had fun watching the videos with music and a beat. Afterwards, she put them in a stroller and went for a walk for an hour. If she didn't get to go on the walk with them, she went for a 2 mile walk/jog after hubby got home.

I can't promise this would work but it has for some people :)

ileana
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Nicole - the workout I do is available here:
    http://www.realage.com/WorkoutCenter/fitness/fpEntry.aspx
    there's also a free video if you want to see some in action. You may have to join, but it's free and they won't email you unless you want them to. You can also just print it all out (thus doing it while kids are watching t.v.).

Sometimes I add:
    "butt-ups" : I don't know what these are really called, but you are on your back with your knees bent and you lift your butt off the floor. When your butt is fully off the floor, it's known as bridge in yoga terms. You can also just hold bridge.
    "dog at tree": Your on all fours. You lift your bent leg out to the side, lower to the floor. You can make it harder by kicking out when you get to parallel with the floor.
    Hope this helps.

Yesterday, I did a 40 minute walk with a friend, 16 minutes of strength training and some tai chi.

Oh, and as far as cooler goes, it's going to be over 85 degrees here today :smile:
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Be quiet about the 85 degrees! lol I love the heat. :glasses:
    Bundled up toque, gloves, orange poofy winter coat, wool socks, sweats, wooly top, and went for an hour walk with the dog through the Provincial park.

Mountains capped with snow, all the trees covered in a frosty blanket, sky bright, river, squirrels and jays -it was nice - but still - send me back to the Baja anyday!
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I'm failing miserably at this challenge but I will keep trying. I did walk 3 miles yesterday with a friend, but the ankle protested, the knee joined in and the hip sang me a tune all evening and since it's only been a week since I sprained it I guess I asked for it. So I decided not to walk for the next two days. Today I stacked cordwood for an hour. The ankle is grinchy but the rest eased up. Tomorrow I think I will just stick to a video workout inside as we are supposed to get poured on here in Vermont. Who knows maybe we will get snow. The thing is I'm so used to having the extra calories the walking exercise gave me to eat supper, that I'm used to them and don't want to give them up,lol:bigsmile:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Today I did a 1 hr spinning class followed by a 30 min run/walk on the treadmill and a 15 minute strength training session. I felt SO TIRED! I had a massage yesterday and I swear it seems like my muscles are more sore today! I'm getting ready to take my dog for a 1 mile walk, so maybe I'll find some energy someplace.

Happy Hump Day!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    So far since last Sunday this is what I have done here at home on my treadmill.

11-11-07 4.17 miles
    11-12-07 4.42 miles
    11-13-07 am 4.54 miles
    11-13-07 pm 3.13 miles
    11-14-07 am 3.10 miles