Any one reccomend a great crockpot recipe?

Replies

• rcillo219
    rcillo219 Posts: 76 Member
    Buffalo Ranch Chicken

1 lb Chicken breast
    1/2 bottle Franks Hot Sauce (NO CALORIES)
    1 package Hidden Valley Ranch (the powder)

Put the chicken in the crockpot, then Franks Sauce, and sprinkle the ranch over it....not sure how long because we all put it on for different times. Since I am gone all day I put it on low (10hours)

I have made wraps out of it and topeed salads....it is sooooooooo EASY, low cal, and healthy

I made it for my entire office one day...everyone loved it

I made this last night for dinner and cooked it on high it only took 3 hours which was nice because the yummy smell was making me hungry! I shred the chicken just before serving and put it on a roll with some low fat ranch dressing. Very tasty and pretty healthy depending on the roll you use. :)
  • Bump. I can't wait to try some of these.
  • Kendra0024
    Kendra0024 Posts: 56 Member
    Bump. I'm always looking for crockpot recipes!
  • ShirleyFed5
    ShirleyFed5 Posts: 35 Member
    I take a pork roast and put a jar of salsa on it, marinate it over night and put in on first thing in the morning on low and it's ready for dinner 12 hours later. I often use this when we have friends over as it's so easy. It's nice on a whole wheat bun with cole slaw.
  • I used to make braciole in the crockpot. This is basically a stuffed steak.
    Now traditional braciole is not exactly health food, but it can be made "skinny".
    You can stuff the braciole with spinach, or good veggies, like broccoli, carrots etc. instead of using breadcrumbs and lots of cheese. The other modification is to use thin, lean steaks, like "milanesa" steaks or round steaks.
    Instead of making a great big stuffed flank steak, I make smaller stuffed round steaks. I hold them together with toothpicks, instead of using string as my grandmother would have done. You can also use low-fat or non-fat ricotta to make your stuffing.
    Put in a bit of Parmesan or Romano cheese for flavor. The other thing is that braciole is cooked in gravy ( what some folks call tomato sauce). After you cook the braciole in the crock pot, the braciole and the gravy are served over spaghetti. You can replace traditional spaghetti with other noodles that aren't so bad for you. I actually use japanese buckwheat noodles (soba noodles). You have to be careful, because not everything sold as soba noodles is actually made from buckwheat. A lot of soba noodles use rice flour instead. The other option is bean thread noodles. taste is very individual. Some people just must have traditional semolina spaghetti, and some people are ok with other types of pasta. The soba noodles and the bean thread noodles cook much faster, and are better for your body. The old rule for food was "if it's white it ain't right" , meaning white rice, white flour, etc. was not good for your body. I don't know if this still applies, but I still follow it.
    There is a video to make the round steak braciole here:
    http://video.about.com/italianfood/Italian-Braciole-Stuffed-Steak.htm
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    These all sound yummy...can't wait to try them out. I'm not a good cook. Maybe the crock pot will be more forgiving. :tongue:

They are! :) Good luck!
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    bump
  • JessMason24
    JessMason24 Posts: 38 Member
    bump... I love new crockpot recipes
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Have to try a few for my super-picky-always-on-the-go kids!

Thanks!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    bump
  • BUMP
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    bump
  • TracyLou32
    TracyLou32 Posts: 4 Member
    I have been making a variation of the "Dolly Parton Soup" that is supposed to have "negative calories"
    In other words, the calories it takes to digest the soup are more calories than whats IN the soup.
    Honestly, I ponder the validity of this thought ... but it will "clean your clock" so to speak as it is very high in fiber.
    (tastes better than prunes)

1 small head cabbage (Sliced about 1/4 inch shreds)
    3 or 4 ribs of celery (chopped)
    2 or 3 green peppers (if you like them)
    2 or 3 carrots (chopped)
    6 medium to large onions (largely chopped)
    2 large cans diced tomatoes (I have been using RoTel tomatos for the spicy flavor & peppers... same stuff , just different)
    1 can beef broth ( I have been using 1 can of French Onion Soup )
    water
    salt and pepper to taste

Place on pot in stove or in crock pot for a few hours until veggies are well cooked.
    I have left it brew all day long and it is really good.

For a treat I have added 1 TBL of Shredded cheese on top.
    Enjoy!
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    I made crock pot "chicken curry" this week. Thought it sounded strange when my sister told me about it, but it was so good.
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs (up to 10. I only used 4 because it was just 2 of us plus toddler)
    sliced veggies - I used green and yellow squash, carrots, and onions
    16 oz jar of salsa
    2TB curry powder
    1 cup light sour cream

Put veggies and chicken in slow cooker. Combine salsa and curry powder pour over. Cook on low for 8 hours (high 4 hours) Stir in sour cream about 10 minutes before serving.
    My husband and son ate it with rice. I ate it as is.
  • TracyLou32
    bump
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Ghoulash (1 cup serving sizes)

Ingredients:

Great Value - Sliced Stewed Tomatoes, 2 container

Heinz - Reduced Sugar Tomato Ketchup 0.5 container

Ragu - Elbow Macaroni, 2 cup dry = 1 cup cooked

Lean Ground Beef 93/7, 1 container (16 oz ea.)

Boil the elbow macaroni according to package directions. While the macaroni is boiling start brown the ground beef. Drain the beef and macaroni. (This can even be done the night before and put in a container in the fridge) Then all you have to do is dump in the crockpot in the morning.

Next add, reduced sugar ketchup and stewed tomatoes and whatever other spices you like. I also add black pepper and onions or onion powder. Stir well.

Simmer on low for a few hours. be careful not to cook it too long or the macaroni can get soggy.

Makes 8 - 1 cup servings

each serving has:

219 calories
    28 carbs
    9 g fat
    3g fiber
    13g protein
    7g sugar
  • TracyLou32
    That sounds great!! Rotel is a cooks best friend!!! :wink:
    One whole chicken
    One can Rotel
    One small/medium onion
    One/two cloves garlic, diced
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Put thawed whole chicken in the cooker, pour one can Rotel over the top. Chop onion to desired consistency, dice garlic and toss in the pot. Add salt/pepper. Turn the cooker on and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours (until chicken is falling apart). Separate chicken from bones and shred. Drain most of the liquid from the cooker, keeping the veggie chunks. Put the meat back in the cooker with the veggies and a little of the liquid. Add seasoning to taste. Serve with tortillas, and your favorite toppings for a tasty meal.
  • TracyLou32
    I like this idea... I also wonder how it would taste with a half a tsp of cinnamon added to the mix?
    Saturday night I put about a tablespoon of salt into a cup of apple cider and marinated pork chops in the brine overnight then Sunday morning before my Zumba class I put it all in the crock pot with potatoes and carrots and cored but not peeled apples and set it to low. Then I went about my whole day around 2 I checked the temp of the meat and turned up the crock pot to high. We ate around 6 and the pork had the flavor of apples and was very tender. Keep the pork at the bottom so that it stays in the liquid. It was delicious.

Sorry it's not a real recipe, it was just me experimenting! :)
    Enjoy!
  • Love these ideas. Check out http://www.slowcookeradventures.com for some good ones also
  • bren998
    bren998 Posts: 92 Member
    Bump