The ABSURD things people say.....

While most comments I get on my loss are complimentary and well-intended, I sure have gotten some doozies. Anyone else? Here are a few of my favorites....

Wow. You've lost a lot of weight. Are you sick?
What's your secret to losing so much weight?
You look great. Are you dieting because your husband was losing interest?
Wow. You're so skinny. Don't you think you're a bit too thin?

I'm not sick. There is no secret. My husband has been wonderful. And NO, I'm not skinny in the least.

Replies

• jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    What's your secret to losing so much weight?
    Wow. You're so skinny. Don't you think you're a bit too thin?

These two are probably the ones I get the most. Most people don't realize that it's almost an insult that they comment on how "skinny" you are now, like they were trying to be too nice before and not commenting on you being fat.

Personally I've had a lot of people ask me if I'm going to stop now trying to lose weight... no im not... i JUST got into a healthy BMI, I only have a few more pounds to go but I'm not going to look "sickly" like you think! lol

The other thing I get a lot is people now calling me my siser's name, because I've lost a lot and she gained a lot. Woops! lol.
  • altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    It sounds petty but I really don't like being called skinny!

A few years ago perhaps I wouldn't be as bothered by it but it seems that recently it's starting to have more of a negative connotation and it bugs me a little. I guess pretty soon it's gonna be on the same level as calling someone 'fat'.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    "are you still losing weight?"

depending on my mood, this has been taken to mean, "you're so skinny now, you don't need to lose any more weight" and "obviously you have plateaued but you still need to lose more"
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Yeah my whole family is now in the "you're going to stop losing weight now, right?" camp. Honestly gets pretty freaking annoying after the 10th time. I still weigh a lot more than I'd like to so no, I'm not going to stop and quit asking. End of rant haha
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    OH my fav was when my friend who is about 150 pounds over weight and not doing anything to help herself be more healthy. Told me that after I lost 87 pounds I needed to work on my abs....
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    OH my fav was when my friend who is about 150 pounds over weight and not doing anything to help herself be more healthy. Told me that after I lost 87 pounds I needed to work on my abs....

Wow.. I'd be really angry.
    To avoid lashing out I'd probably just say "you really should reassess your physical appearance before judging mine negatively"
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    i was at a family gathering and my hubby's aunt walks up and asks me if I have lost weight. I laughed and said, "No, actually I've put 20lbs back on." I tried not to take it the wrong way, but all I could think was, "if she thinks I've lost weight, how terrible I must have looked when I had lost the weight originally." (went from 127 at Christmas last year to 147 at the family gathering in May 2012. no thanks to stress and bad habits)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    wow you've lost a ton of weight, you look so nice now. really i didn't know i needed to lose THAT MUCH and that i was hideous before. thanks.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    It sounds petty but I really don't like being called skinny!

A few years ago perhaps I wouldn't be as bothered by it but it seems that recently it's starting to have more of a negative connotation and it bugs me a little. I guess pretty soon it's gonna be on the same level as calling someone 'fat'.

Honestly, it's just rude to comment on people's appearance. My son is 6'5." People are constantly commenting on his height. It drives him crazy. As for me, I oscillate between thinking, "haven't you people noticed my weight loss" to "did I really look that bad before?"

On the one hand, I'd love to be at the point were people are asking if I'm going to stop now, and on the other, I know it's going to annoy me, too.

I guess you just can't please some folks (that is, me)!
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Coworkers: "We're ordering out for lunch. Do you want anything?"

Me: "No, thanks though. I brought my lunch today."

Coworker: "oh yeah, I forgot. you're a "picky eater" now..."

Really? Picky? LOL I didn't realize bringing my own food from home and not eating pizza meant being picky...
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member

Wow.. I'd be really angry.
    To avoid lashing out I'd probably just say "you really should reassess your physical appearance before judging mine negatively"

Not me....I'm the ornery type. I would have said something along the lines of "Thank you for the advice. By the way, you look good, but all the jealousy you are wearing really clashes with your smile."
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    People often don't think before they speak. Some just word vomit all over you. It could be because they're jealous, annoyed, very surprised, are used to seeing you at a higher weight, or they truly didn't think before they said that and how it would come off.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    mine is the opposite. Ive toned up and only lost a tad bit of weight. But still a noticable difference. Women look at me, take a second look up and down and say nothing. I know its apparent because my family members have told me how great I'm looking. Its frustrating for me to not even get a comment from people that I know are seeing a difference.
  • DreamerZenko
    DreamerZenko Posts: 59 Member
    "You don't need to lose weight, I do"
    Says the person who wears size 6 pants to me who wears a size 14.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member

You look great. Are you dieting because your husband was losing interest?

People actually have the balls to say this to you? Wow..
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    mine is the opposite. Ive toned up and only lost a tad bit of weight. But still a noticable difference. Women look at me, take a second look up and down and say nothing. I know its apparent because my family members have told me how great I'm looking. Its frustrating for me to not even get a comment from people that I know are seeing a difference.

Oh I know that stare very famaliar!! People at work just started saying things to me, but many will give me that stare!
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    My mom called me "paunchy" one day.

I've just never been able to let it go.....
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Lately I have been getting..."Wow, you are WASTING away". WTH does that mean exactly? Oh and the other day I saw my sister and she said, "You look great, although you are verging on anorexic"...what are you supposed to say to things like that? I respond with "Thanks, I think".
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    "If you lose any more weight, you will be a model."
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    my life became more enjoyable the minute I stopped caring about what others say or think....obviously there are exceptions to this...I value the opinions of those that I love and that love me...but in the main I don't let it bother me...