The ABSURD things people say.....

Replies

• anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    I get this alot "Well, we don't want to eat that stuff that you make all the time for dinner. We're sick of being on a diet too just because YOU'RE fat. You can stop and pick up something from Sonic for us and eat your gross diet food when you get home"

I also hear "Ohhhhhh, look... you're being good today [referring to my home made lunch in the lunch room]. I guess you just can't have REAL food anymore."

And of course the "If you just didn't have all the belly roll you would be totally skinny" Said while grabbing my stomach... literally, people I'm not related to or sleeping with reaching out, criticizing the part of my body I hate the most and then putting their hands on me and giving it a good jiggle.

:noway:

Now this is just wrong! I'm so sorry you have to endure this! I hope it gets better! (And refuse to pick up the crap for them!! Either they eat what you make or they make something for themselves!)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    It wasn't really snidely directed at me, but I went out to breakfast with my boyfriend a few months ago, before he decided to start using MFP as well - I got an oatmeal, fruit, and egg plate while he got a loaf of cinnamon French toast. (You would think it was really hard to resist ordering something like that, but fortunately in America they have the calorie counts right next to the price.) Our waiter gave him his plate first, and then as he was setting mine down, he said "And this young lady is making a healthy choice this morning." in a tone that implied my boyfriend could do to follow my example. We joked it off, but that guy did not get a tip.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    I get this alot "Well, we don't want to eat that stuff that you make all the time for dinner. We're sick of being on a diet too just because YOU'RE fat. You can stop and pick up something from Sonic for us and eat your gross diet food when you get home"

Ugh, my sister was like this when I lived with her! "Oh my GOD. Why do you spend an hour in the kitchen every night and why is the fridge always full of your weird diet stuff? You're always gonna be fat, so stop acting like you're too good to pitch on pizza."
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    My mom called me "paunchy" one day.

I've just never been able to let it go.....

I hear that. My dad made an elephant noise when I got on a scale at his workplace when I was like 10 or 11. I never, ever forgot it, and sometimes I hear that noise he made in my head when I step on the scale. Also dealt with an ED for a while in college. He will never know how much that effected me!
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member

Ugh, my sister was like this when I lived with her! "Oh my GOD. Why do you spend an hour in the kitchen every night and why is the fridge always full of your weird diet stuff? You're always gonna be fat, so stop acting like you're too good to pitch on pizza."

That is an outragous thing to say! :noway:
  • mtoon66
    mtoon66 Posts: 3 Member
    Reading everyone's comments has helped me feel better this morning, thank you. I was in a tough place this morning:(
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    This thread has made my BLOOD BOIL. Rrrrrrrrr. Hell is other people.

I get called obsessed a lot by a particular friend. A naturally slim friend who has never watched her diet, or exercised, and tellingly used to be my drinking buddy in my fat days. She'd get all the male attention.

"You're wasting away!" Oh sweet Jaysus. I have sizeable calves, quads and arms, lady. Skinny isn't a compliment.

Next person who says that - I'm challenging them to an arm wrestle.
  • AXAGEM
    AXAGEM Posts: 56 Member
    "You still trying to lose weight?" *Looks her up and down* "Lemme guess, you trying to do it for some n*gga"

(Said by one of my regular customers verbatim)

.....Really though? It couldn't have been for me?

Seriously......a customer said that to you. I would have reported them and had them banned from the establisment.
  • Jstash88
    Jstash88 Posts: 89 Member
    Read this thread yesterday.........and what do you know it happened to me TODAY! Out shopping in a store that I go into on a pretty regular basis, and the owner said..... "you've lost weight..... your not sick or anything are you?" What? And seriously..... I had just been to the salon to freshen up my cut, so it was not like I just rolled out of bed. People need to think before they speak.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    OliverHouse wrote:
    I would work out like you BUT I have a life.

I don't think there is really a good response for that other than maybe a punch in the face. That one even made me mad and I wasn't there.
  • jlgregory13
    jlgregory13 Posts: 83 Member
    My grandma told me i looked way less fat than i use to. I know in her mind it was a compliment, but gee whiz it was harsh.
  • AnnaGalbina
    AnnaGalbina Posts: 20 Member
    Coworkers: "We're ordering out for lunch. Do you want anything?"

Me: "No, thanks though. I brought my lunch today."

Coworker: "oh yeah, I forgot. you're a "picky eater" now..."

Really? Picky? LOL I didn't realize bringing my own food from home and not eating pizza meant being picky...

I get this all the time at work and school but I haven't told anyone I'm watching my calorie intake, so to avoid the whole thing I just say that I'm trying to cut back on some unnecessary spending, and bringing lunch from home helps me save money :D
  • AnnaGalbina

That is an outragous thing to say! :noway:

Do they not realize that comments like those don't help in the slightest?! I am so blessed to have my family support me; they don't want me to be skinny just healthy and every time my mom goes grocery shopping she asks if there is anything I need for my "healthy lifestyle" and today she found me some ice cream for only 110 calories!
  • AnnaGalbina
    "You're starting to look gross." From my very best friend :frown:

That's jealously talking, she's probably just concerned that you look better than her now.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Oh, I cop soooo much of it!

Some from my wife and family, a lot from co-workers. Comments like:
    'You've stopped trying to lose weight now haven't you?'
    'You're getting too skinny'
    'Will you eat something?'
    'Oh that's right, you don't eat bad food anymore like the rest of us!'

It just annoys me that so much of this comes from jealousy and/or ignorance. Stop telling me to lose weight when I know my bf% is only just under 20!

And no, I'm not a picky eater, I just dont want pizza for lunch because I know I'll be having burgers for dinner and the two foods don't belong in one day unless I've just run a marathon :).
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member

You look great. Are you dieting because your husband was losing interest?

How about, "No, I'm dieting because your husband is losing interest."
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    My ex and their new gf told me to join Weight Watchers because I am so fat that I'll die .. needless to say, it was quite an eye opener for me, not that the mirror didn't let me know on a daily basis!
  • MelissaG915
    MelissaG915 Posts: 7 Member
    My father in law commented that I must weigh "nothing" and encouraged me to indulge in treats with the rest of the family. Even though I declined, sure enough, my mother in law showed up with a vanilla frosty for me because "it was free anyway, so you might as well enjoy." I felt like I was being sabotaged. I did what every other "kid" would do when forced to eat something they didn't want to: I took an initial bite, and messed around with it to make it look like I ate some, and put the rest in the freezer at their house for later and conveniently forgot about it.

They have more or less ignored the weight loss after that.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member

You look great. Are you dieting because your husband was losing interest?

How about, "No, I'm dieting because your husband is losing interest."

Perfect
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    "You're skinny/small/petite/young. You can afford to eat this giant pile of whatever-food-you-don't-want-to-eat."