Low Cal. Cupcakes

Replies

• talrcat
    talrcat Posts: 97 Member
    bump
  • sunilshah123
    sunilshah123 Posts: 14 Member
    I never cook but I have been inspired! I always look at cooking a science project - it is just chemistry after all. I am sure my wife will be laughing at me when I pour in the soda but given the feebback I will be redeemed. Just to be clear, I go to the supermarket, buy cake mix, add soda, pour the mix into a baking tray and stick in the oven for however long it says on the packet?
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    That is exactly what you do. Baking time may vary depending on your oven so check cake with toothpick.
  • i'm bumping thi up so i have it in my topics for this weekend.

just a silly questions tho....when u add the pop, are you buying just a regualr size can and putting the whole thing in, or do u just put the amount of pop that normally would be the oil?
  • BUMPITY BUMP!
  • candylea
    candylea Posts: 34 Member
    I used the whole can of pop and they came out great.
  • The only reason I have reservations about doing this is because you can't bake aspertame...it turns into a pretty dangerous chemical. I wonder if it works the same way with the soda? I'm thinking about doing this with diet coke with splenda.
  • Sorry double post
  • Sorry triple post lol
  • The only reason I have reservations about doing this is because you can't bake aspertame...it turns into a pretty dangerous chemical. I wonder if it works the same way with the soda? I'm thinking about doing this with diet coke with splenda.

anyone??? if this is true, I'm a little hesitant to do it :(

Hi there...i did some digging around the net and this is what I found:

It appears that the reason aspartame it not always suitable for baking is that the breakdown will cause a lack of sweetness (so no danger there).

Also, this breakdown into aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol will occur in the body anyway, during digestion!

From aspartame.org:

“Upon digestion, aspartame breaks down into three components (aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol), which are then absorbed into the blood and used in normal body processes. Neither aspartame nor its components accumulate in the body. These components are used in the body in the same ways as when they are derived from common foods.

Further, the amounts of these components from aspartame are small compared to the amounts from other food sources. For example, a serving of nonfat milk provides about 6 times more phenylalanine and 13 times more aspartic acid compared to an equivalent amount of diet beverage sweetened 100% with aspartame. Likewise, a serving of tomato juice provides about 6 times more methanol compared to an equivalent amount of diet beverage with aspartame.”

So if you’re going to eat food/drink containing aspartame, it’s just as safe to eat it after heating it i believe

hope this helps..

i'll be trying to put these together in a bit...hope it works lol
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    I use dream whip - it is a dry mix to make "whipped cream". I add 1% milk and sugar free, fat free pudding and mix together - DELICIOUS and low in calories and fat!
  • First, the undeniable facts. Aspartame is made of three chemicals: aspartic acid (40%), phenylalanine (50%), and methanol (10%). Phenylalanine and aspartic acid are both amino acids, while methanol (methyl alcohol) is a known toxin. Aspartame is hydrolyzed in the intestinal tract into these three elements. Methanol can also become "free methanol" before it enters the body if it is heated to a temperature above 86 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1890

This was found on this ^ site in clear wording, however I found the same idea on many other sites. I would probably only recommend doing this with splenda sweetened sugar,
  • it seems like a lot of people are doing this, and they all seem to be okay lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    yeah, and you know what else is in diet soda? dihydrogen monoxide!! Horrible stuff. Just one tablespoon of it can kill an adult!! it's the main component of acid rain and the number one cause of erosion.

:indifferent:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
  • Saving to my topics, sounds awesome!~
  • Do they freeze well?
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Pillsbury makes a lower sugar cake mix so if sugar is the issue then you can use that one with a diet soda

They have chocolate, white, and yellow
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    i noticed that a lot of people used flavored diet sodas like cherry or lemon lime. Does that make the cake taste similar to that flavor or the cake flavor.