Running and coyotes

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Wolfs are one thing, coyotes, I wouldn't be to worried. They're usually under 50 lbs and rarely in packs greater than 2-3. A few kicks and punches in the snout and they'd disperse pretty quick.

how many coyotes have you fought?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I shoot at them
    Wow, that's lame.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    I'm in Eastern Canada. It was in the highlands where the young girl was attacked and killed by a coyote. Since then, there have been multiple encounters with coyotes all over Cape Breton.

Just last week a girl was attacked. It didn't bite her, but left a nasty scratch across her face. There's a cull out on them at the moment. There are hunters paid by how many dead coyotes they turn in.

They are braver and bigger than normal. Years ago, we NEVER had any issues with coyotes. Now, I will not walk in wooded areas (especially around my home, there's been quite a few spotted), after dusk or early in the morning. Not worth the risk.

Around here they are accustomed to humans and are no longer afraid.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    We have lots of coyotes here in Wv too (I live in the mountains). I've been surrounded by them on camping trips but have only encountered them occasionally on my runs. They are usually afraid of me. I did see a dead one skinned on the side of the road once....that was really strange.

I have also come across black bears and mountain cats. Yes....those are the scary ones! (In fact my neighbor had a black bear on her porch the other day). The cat was the worst of all.....it was crouched on top of a ridge just above me...I heard it growling and happened to look up as I ran by. It's teeth were bared and ears were back.

The bear was on the side of the road....I saw it long before I got up to it so I just turned around and ran the other way lol.

That is the reason why I only run in the daylight......
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    After I stopped completely freaking out at the prospect of being stalked by coyotes (I mean really, nobody needs a PB that badly) it occurs to me that what people carry around to ward off dogs might work. Googled it and stuff came up. Not sure I would have the courage to actually put myself back out there, even with stuff like that, though.

We have coyotes around Middle Tennessee but I've never seen one on the trails where we run (very populated most times of the day). My husband saw a cougar once this summer and totally flipped (city said they don't exist but people are getting photos of them). Biggest thing I've had to worry about on the trails was a Lab puppy got between a doe and her fawn and the owners were too dumb to realize the dog was about to get in serious trouble.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    I live in Texas, where we have bobcats, deer, wild hogs, and coyotes in our area. I run with dog mace. If I run early in the morning, I also add a blinking light, too, and I try to jingle (keys or whatever) to scare off animals.
    I don't think anything I bring will be foolproof, but it's better than carrying nothing.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I carry pepper spray, but as bear have been getting closer to the more populated areas I have thought about a fire arm.
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    Don't say "meep meep"...that attracts them.

pmsl
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Ya coyotes aren't scarce as in driving down the local hwy you will see packs, we have taken the kids on nature walks that teach about coyote safety. I ran into a bob cat the other day that was just as scared of me as I was of it and that was fine. Bears, mountain lions are all a concern but it's the coyotes that scare me
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    I want to make it clear I don't think coyotes are out to get me, but they are here and I was stalked by two and I want to be safe (with dog mase or running during the day) they belong here more than I do
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member

:laugh:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I carry pepper spray, but as bear have been getting closer to the more populated areas I have thought about a fire arm.

You can also get bear mace. I got some recently for a hiking trip in the mountains.
  • Don't say "meep meep"...that attracts them.

LOL! Love it.
  • Wow! Glad you're safe and sound!

I didn't know that coyotes were likely to attack. I'd always heard of them being 'more afraid of us than we are of them', y'know?
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    I run with flashing lights on (little clip on red and white bike taillights).
    It's kept them away for me.

At the risk of sounding naive, does this really work or are you pulling my leg? (I'm really that naive.) :laugh:

ETA: I'd rather look like a lost raver than shoot animals, just my preference. Don't judge!!:flowerforyou:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I want to make it clear I don't think coyotes are out to get me, but they are here and I was stalked by two and I want to be safe (with dog mase or running during the day) they belong here more than I do

Making noise (a bear bell or the like) will usually keep them away as they (normally) try to avoid contact with humans but I'd also carry pepper spray just in case. I was looking through an outdoors catalog last night and noticed an item called bear bangers (no, not sausages) that make a noise like a gunshot but I'm not sure how practical they are to carry & deploy while running.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    I would think if the coyotes are already hanging out a suburban area then they're not too "afraid" of people at this point --- hence why other runners have been attacked in your area.
    Honestly, I would run at some other time then sunrise/sunset, since that's when a lot of animals come out. But if you can't I would try to find a running partner or carry some sort of light-weight weapon with you.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member

This
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member

OMG... That's so funny..

Maybe call ACME and order coyote trap.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/w_c/livingwithurban/coyote_brochure_v7_final.pdf

This was a really interesting pdf (took like a minute to read)

- try picking up some pepper spray
    - keep rocks in your pockets
    - if they get close enough, maintain eye contact
    - running sets off a coyote's chase instinct

Myself, I would change the time that I run or start taking a running partner with me. Be safe!