Exercise Routine

I need a good exercise routine to do at home because I don't have a car and I have a 6 month old. Any ideas?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Check out this site: lots of workouts to choose from.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Tons of stuff you can do at home

Walking (pushing a stroller gives you bonus points). When it's raining ... check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel .... lots of workout DVDs free there

Check out your local library .... or Netflix (by mail) for more exercise videos.

Deck of cards workout: Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.

A hula hoop makes for good cardio. Ditto ....stairs or a jump rope.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Get the book Your Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. I am following the CC program right now. It is very effective!
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Tons of stuff you can do at home

Walking (pushing a stroller gives you bonus points). When it's raining ... check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

Hulu.com has a health & fitness channel .... lots of workout DVDs free there

Check out your local library .... or Netflix (by mail) for more exercise videos.

Deck of cards workout: Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.

A hula hoop makes for good cardio. Ditto ....stairs or a jump rope.

Love the deck of cards idea. I'll definitely have to use that.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Nike training app, love it, kinda like p90 but for women, free app! Nike training club. Good luck!
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    I love the deck of cards workout idea, I had never heard of that before.

I am a SAHM of two (2yrs and 1yrs). The best investment I made was my jogging stroller/bike trailer. I am doing the C25k and push the kids (I have had to repeat multiple weeks due to the extra weight I push but it is worth it) with me. We also bike to the park and they play and I sneak in a quick upper body workout (pullups ect) while watching and interacting with them. I use netflix, hulu, and youtube for exercise videos during nap time. There are a lot of different options out there just use a search engine to find what you are looking for.
  • Sparkpeople.com has some really good workout videos you can do at home. They also have a section where they list different exercises and how to do them. There are many you can do without equipment.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    I have a slew of exercises that my trainer has given me & you can do at home with NO WEIGHTS. For my newbie friends that aren't good at creating their own workouts, i recommend a "ladder" . You pick a minimum of 4 exercises (to start)... and repeat each exercise 10 times... then 9 times, 8 times, etc... down to 1 time each... then 2 times each, 3 times each, etc back up to 10 times each.

when you pick the exercises, i try not to work the same body parts right next to each other (unless I'm focusing on abs or arms).
    and you can alternate 2 cardio exercises with 2 strength ones... or if you are just trying to lose weight w/no muscle...then pick 4 cardio moves...

So... if you aren't used to working out vigurously....maybe:

plank jacks
    push ups
    burpees
    chair dips

in total you'll do 109 of each exercise...

let me know if you need more suggestions.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    30DS is on youtube for free and takes about 25 minutes. Most of Jillian's stuff is on there. There are also a multitude of zumba, kickbox and other types of work outs both on youtube and on On Demand if you have Comcast. A kettlebell, a couple of different dumbells, and resistance bands will REALLY open up your options for not a lot of space or money. Good luck!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Walk. Run. Cycle. Lift Weights. Exercise Videos (On Demand, Library, Netflix, etc...) Yard work. Mommy & Me Fitness or Yoga Classes (they're free at our library in my town). Find neighbors and start a stroller strides club. Garden. Pilates. Body weight exercises. The possibilities are endless, really.

I have two gym memberships thru my health insurance and rarely go, since I prefer to work out at home. I work part-time and on the days I'm home from work I'm usually a sweaty mess from scrubbing windows, floors, bathrooms, etc...

Generations past didn't go to the gym, but they also weren't obese. Unplug for a day or two each week...no TV, internet, phone... it's amazing all the active things we find to do when we're not distracted. I recently challenged a group of 6th graders to do the same and, much to my surprise, they were energized by the prospect of it.
  • Thanks everyone! Love the card idea! It's so creative :)
  • caramellips06
    caramellips06 Posts: 82 Member
    love the cards idea will have to try tht