no carb diet?

The main reason i gain weight is because of carbs. Most of the food I eat has a lot of carbs e.g. toast in the morning or oats then past or rice for dinner. I have been thinking about cutting out all carbs from my diet for like 2 weeks and after that having a low carb intake. I just want to know if it's a good idea

thank you

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    If you're in the US or Canada the "carbohydrates" on your food labels includes fiber, so zero carb would be zero fiber which probably isn't a good idea.

Atkins induction phase is 20g of "net carbs" = carbohydrates minus fiber and that's viewed as pretty low - 12-15 of the 20 to be low GI vegetables.

If you're in the UK / EU then carbohydrates on labels excludes fibre and the numbers above match what's on the label.

Anything less than about 35g of (net) carbs is likely to be ketogenic and the precise level may not matter in that range.
  • 1960carol
    1960carol Posts: 12 Member
    i have done it . its much like the south beach diet and it works. i still dont eat carbs. ie.wheat. and i feel better because of it. give it a try.
  • msperkey3
    msperkey3 Posts: 93 Member
    u need some carbs...they give u energy...especially if u do any type of exercise/ weight training!
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    I have given up bread, potatoes and rice. I still eat fruit. I have some carbs but have cut them way down. I feel better and my blood sugar is much improved. Find a balance that works and you can stick too. That's the key!
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    If you literally ate no carbs, then all you could eat is protein and fat. That means no fruits or vegetables. Does that sound like a healthy plan to you?
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    u need some carbs...they give u energy...especially if u do any type of exercise/ weight training!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    it wouldn't mean ZERO fibre cause some vegetables and especially fruit are paaacked with fibre :)
    If you're in the US or Canada the "carbohydrates" on your food labels includes fiber, so zero carb would be zero fiber which probably isn't a good idea.

Atkins induction phase is 20g of "net carbs" = carbohydrates minus fiber and that's viewed as pretty low - 12-15 of the 20 to be low GI vegetables.

If you're in the UK / EU then carbohydrates on labels excludes fibre and the numbers above match what's on the label.

Anything less than about 35g of (net) carbs is likely to be ketogenic and the precise level may not matter in that range.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    If you literally ate no carbs, then all you could eat is protein and fat. That means no fruits or vegetables. Does that sound like a healthy plan to you?
    this!
  • Bdn75
    Bdn75 Posts: 10 Member
    I eat no bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, cereal. All my carbs come from veggies, fruit, and a little bit of VERY dark chocolate every day :) I eat 100 - 150 grams of carbs a day (that means I eat a LOT of veggies!). Sometimes I go out of my way to put in a few starchy veggies like carrots, turnips, yams, pumpkin to ensure I'm not going too low.

I've done this for a month and lost 6 kilos. It's not magic - it's because it is really hard to overeat this way. Really, I don't even have to count calories because I find I rarely go over. It's worth a try. For me it has been the answer.

It seems extreme but surprisingly, it has been MUCH easier to give it all up completely than to try and just eat processed carbs "in moderation". I'm convinced that sugar and processed carbs mess with my brain and my hunger signals, causing me to overeat.
  • I can tell my your profile pic you are a gamer. I too, am a gamer, and in the world of RPG I find myself consuming pizza, popcorn, chips and other crap. I find that because I like these foods and when I try any temporary diet like atkins, I feel deprived and go back to binging on crap. I instead try to make healthier choices while still eating things I like. But I'm not a huge fan of telling what other people should do. So If you want to do low carb my all means go for it. It just didn't work for me because I felt deprived and I could never get the right carb to calorie ratio right.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    What about orange,banana,apple,grapes,watermelon?
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Carbs are important in your diet. Try to rearrange the time of day you eat carbs... like try to have most of your carbs before dinner. I know that has helped some people. I personally do not watch my carb intake. I do try to make sure I get good amounts of fruits and veggies in the day and try increase my protein intake.
  • i'm in europe so the later applies to me, I don't mean cutting out all veggies sorry for not specifying a bit more. Okey thats good to know that it's okey to do this. thank you guys
  • We need carbs for energy...you are better off eating oatmeal and whole wheat toast and then exercising for 30 minutes to burn the calories. You should never go too low carb or no carb even for a short time. It will mess up your metabolism. You will definately drop the weight quick but it isnt healthy. You wont be able to keep it up for a long period of time. May I recommend the book the carb lovers diet. Its a great book. See if your local library has it. It has alot of great recipes. They also have the carb lovers cookbook. I havent seen that in the library yet but Im hoping to buy it soon! Good luck!
  • i have done it . its much like the south beach diet and it works. i still dont eat carbs. ie.wheat. and i feel better because of it. give it a try.

thats good then, i shall try it
  • Carbs help your body in ways you probably don't want to give up.... your brain tissue, memory, etc kind of rely on carbs. That and most people are absolutely miserable on "no carb or really low carb" diets but that depends on the person I would guess. Grains can do really good things for your body if you keep them at a reasonable intake.. I think 6-11 servings of grains is a bit much unless you're training really heavily, but if you cut your consumption down slowly and rely more on vegetables you may have a bit more luck. I'm no professional but this has helped me the most in the past. Good luck!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member

THIS^^^^ You can cut your carbs down very low, but it would not be healthy to totally exclude them.

It would be much healthier to make lower carb, higher fiber changes to your diet. Ditch the bread, substitute low carb/high fiber tortillas ( found one that is 17g carbs each, but 12g of that is fiber). Eat berries instead of apples and bananas. Eat green beans, broccoli and cauliflower instead of carrots, peas and potatoes. Eat nuts for snacks instead of chips or candy.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    it wouldn't mean ZERO fibre cause some vegetables and especially fruit are paaacked with fibre :)

actually, fruits and veggies contain carbs, so zero carbs would mean not eating fruits or veggies.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    The main reason i gain weight is because of carbs. Most of the food I eat has a lot of carbs e.g. toast in the morning or oats then past or rice for dinner. I have been thinking about cutting out all carbs from my diet for like 2 weeks and after that having a low carb intake. I just want to know if it's a good idea

thank you

Cutting out bread and rice is one thing, but you need to eat fruits and veggies!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I'm a keen carb watcher (I like the feeling of not being hungry doing this, primarily) but 'zero carb' while being unrealistic is also bonkers.

Keeping them under 50g is attainable and the benefits of any reductions below this for most people are pretty marginal IMO.

Veggies are good, fruits are overrated in my weird world ...

As far needing carbohydrate for energy, only if the exercise is intense, once you get used to burning fat/ketones for fuel.

I prefer to skip intense exercise, it brings me out in an unsightly sweat ;)