Stamina

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on building stamina?
Inside I run 5k with ease and 10k is not really that much more
Outside however, 5k is a lot harder and I struggle, I haven't even attempted 10k outside yet,
I've only started running in July, I started last year but had bronchitis and I could only breathe
normally again in June/July
So maybe it's not stamina I need to build??? Is it strength?? Any advice on how to get better
Would be great I love running, and want to go further outside, but at the moment it's not happening :(

Replies

• pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    I suggest you slow down and track your time rather than distance. I found once I could run 40 minutes or so then my 5K time decreased quite a bit and it was much easier to keep adding distance. Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Read this, it explains it well. http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

What you lack right now is aerobic capacity which is built simply by running a lot at an aerobic pace. In simple terms aerobic capacity is the ability of your body to deliver the required quantity of oxygen to the working muscles and those muscles' ability to use the oxygen to produce energy.
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    am confused, so should I speed up to raise my heatrt rate, (which i think is pretty high already)
    or slow down,
    have you both said the same am I just reading that wrong??
    sorry duh!!!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    am confused, so should I speed up to raise my heatrt rate, (which i think is pretty high already)
    or slow down,
    have you both said the same am I just reading that wrong??
    sorry duh!!!

Run more and run easy (but build up slowly), most of your miles should be at a conversational pace. That will build your aerobic capacity which will allow your heart to pump more and your muscles to use it to convert to energy. Speed is not really important for that part of it, once you have the endurance then you can worry about the speed.
  • scottb81
    Run more and run easy (but build up slowly), most of your miles should be at a conversational pace. That will build your aerobic capacity which will allow your heart to pump more and your muscles to use it to convert to energy. Speed is not really important for that part of it, once you have the endurance then you can worry about the speed.
    ^^ That's all there is to it. All it takes is this and time.
  • fefe0201
    fefe0201 Posts: 49 Member
    I actually feel I am getting worse not better :( ran today and walked for a bit first time in a long time that's happened
    Does weather have effect on anyone's performance, I mean it's not raining or snowing but the wind has definitely changed colder :(
    I am in Scotland it's going to get worse hehe should I keep running outside or try build aerobic capacity on the treadmill?
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    I've been told that running on a treadmill is different than running outside.....something about when you run outdoors you have to propel yourself forward (vs. a belt moving on its own). I can't run a treadmill without falling off so no personal experience there. Have you talked to a doctor about the possiblity of exercised induced asthma? I wasn't diagnosed with asthma until I was 35 - twice a year when the seasons changed I would get bronchitis. Once I was diagnosed with asthma and treated for that it has made a world of difference. Now it only kicks up when I exercise - cold weather, pollution, and allergies make it worse for me. Might be worth getting checked out???
  • scottb81
    Hot weather will slow you down. Cold weather doesn't have much of a physical effect although it might have a mental effect if you're not used to it.

Treadmill or outside doesn't really matter. The training effect is the same. Running outside is more interesting though.

Some days you runs will be bad and feel hard. It happens to everybody for a variety of reasons. If one run is bad there is nothing to worry about. If two or three in a row are bad it's time to start looking for the reason.
    - not enough recovery
    - not enough sleep
    - not enough food
    - injury
    - sickness
    - too much alcohol
    - etc.